Author Topic: I still have Romeo over Nesmith  (Read 29651 times)

Re: I still have Romeo over Nesmith
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 01:18:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's been a while since I've had any expectations for Romeo Langford at all.  I think if he's going to carve out a role in the league, it's not going to be on the Celtics.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 01:30:54 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Romeo, to date, has been in the bottom 5% of guards offensively.  Our team is stacked with guards who are better on offense, and just as good or better on defense.

Unless Romeo makes major offensive strides, he’s unplayable.

Did you feel he was unplayable in the playoffs vs the Nets last season? He actually played decently, especially the last game or two.  Between the two of them, coach Brad determined that Langford (who ended up starting) was more playable than Nesmith.  Have things changed that quickly?

I think there is some recency bias on this chain. Romeo did not play nearly as well as Aaron in the summer league on the offensive end.  Aaron had a couple of games where he was lights out shooting star. 

I also think there is bias against Romeo because he is entering his 3rd season, while Aaron is only entering season 2.  But they both have played about the same number of regular season games, due to injury to Romeo (50-46), and they are nearly the same age (Nesmith slightly older, actually), since Romeo left school after freshman year, Nesmith after sophomore.

I am going to wait to see how things pan out during training camp and pre-season.  Or later.   I have hopes for both of them maturing into decent contributors.   Nesmith is high energy, but Romeo seems to have a better feel.  Too bad we could not combine them into a single player.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 01:41:38 PM by footey »

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 02:31:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Romeo, to date, has been in the bottom 5% of guards offensively.  Our team is stacked with guards who are better on offense, and just as good or better on defense.

Did you feel he was unplayable in the playoffs vs the Nets last season? He actually played decently, especially the last game or two.  Between the two of them, coach Brad determined that Langford (who ended up starting) was more playable than Nesmith.  Have things changed that quickly?

I think there is some recency bias on this chain. Romeo did not play nearly as well as Aaron in the summer league on the offensive end.  Aaron had a couple of games where he was lights out shooting star. 

I also think there is bias against Romeo because he is entering his 3rd season, while Aaron is only entering season 2.  But they both have played about the same number of regular season games, due to injury to Romeo (50-46), and they are nearly the same age (Nesmith slightly older, actually), since Romeo left school after freshman year, Nesmith after sophomore.

I am going to wait to see how things pan out during training camp and pre-season.  Or later.   I have hopes for both of them maturing into decent contributors.   Nesmith is high energy, but Romeo seems to have a better feel.  Too bad we could not combine them into a single player.
There was a lot less depth last year.  I mean Brown didn't play, Kemba only played in 3 games, which left basically just Fournier and Smart at the wing with Smart getting a bunch of time at PG (Tatum was basically at PF full time).  Who else was supposed to play in the playoffs. 

So if Schroder and Pritchard are playing PG and Tatum and Grant are playing PF, this year we have Brown, Smart, Richardson, and Dunn all at the 2/3 spot before getting to Nesmith and Langford.  A healthy team and there just aren't going to be minutes available for Langford this year.  Obviously there will be injuries and Langford will get some minutes, but I don't think he gets enough to be useful. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 03:00:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Romeo, to date, has been in the bottom 5% of guards offensively.
Our team is stacked with guards who are better on offense, and just as good or better on defense.

What Moranis said.  Or, as I said.  He’s unplayable, because “Our team is stacked with guards who are better on offense, and just as good or better on defense.”

Who is Romeo taking minutes from? 

And, no recency bias here.  I’ve always preferred Nesmith over Langford.  Again, to date, Yabu has had a more successful career (minus one playoff game), and he got dumped after his sophomore season.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 03:23:22 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2021, 03:01:14 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Romeo get n too much sugar from Juliette ,  looks plump now

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2021, 03:43:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Our team is stacked with guards who are better on offense, and just as good or better on defense.

What Moranis said.  Or, as I said.  He’s unplayable, because “Our team is stacked with guards who are better on offense, and just as good or better on defense.”

And, no recency bias here.  I’ve always preferred Nesmith over Langford.  Again, to date, Yabu has had a more successful career (minus one playoff game), and he got dumped after his sophomore season.

You ignored the question I asked. 

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2021, 04:03:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

He would have been unplayable last season if we weren't missing three starters.  He had one decent game in the playoffs, shooting 30% FG% / 30% 3PT% in the other three games.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2021, 04:29:33 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Assuming you have nesmith getting minutes, that's where they come from.  Nesmith will be unplayable due to his inability to stay in front of anyone.

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Assuming you have nesmith getting minutes, that's where they come from.  Nesmith will be unplayable due to his inability to stay in front of anyone.

It’s funny that you are basing that assessment on seemingly one summer league game. The rest of summer league, and more importantly in actual games last season, that wasn’t a problem.

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2021, 04:52:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2021, 04:53:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

He would have been unplayable last season if we weren't missing three starters.  He had one decent game in the playoffs, shooting 30% FG% / 30% 3PT% in the other three games.

So if Rob Williams and Kemba Walker were available, Romeo would have been unplayable?  What??

Romeo outplayed Nesmith, and it was Nesmith that Coach Brad decided was unplayable.  He (appropriately) gave starter minutes to Romeo.

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2021, 04:58:12 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

It’s funny that you are basing that assessment on seemingly one summer league game. The rest of summer league, and more importantly in actual games last season, that wasn’t a problem.
It was a ginormous problem for at least the first half of his rookie season, if not more.  He did better in the second half of the year but still looked super unsteady to me.

Ultimately, the nba is incredibly unforgiving.  If other teams decide they want to target him, it'll be easy pickings.

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2021, 05:40:01 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
There's something about Romeo's poise when he's on the court that is enticing. I can't really quantify that, there's just something about the way he moves on the court that makes me think there's something there.

That said, Nesmith has shown more and is a more natural fit alongside the J's as someone who is already good at moving without the ball and spotting up.

It's not just his poise. Something magical often happened when Romeo was on the court last season.

Some things I noticed - They'd be a number of unexpected deflected passes, an opposing shooter unwilling to shoot over him, a blindsided blocked shot, a rebound that leads to a fast break, etc. Unappreciated plays like this is why he got so many minutes. The team as a whole did better when he was on the court. Too many of his naysayers overlook this and only focus on his offense. He has a synergistic effect on those around them and makes them look better.   

He didn't have a good summer league offensively. I thought he was a lot better playing along side the veterans. 

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2021, 05:42:55 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
There's something about Romeo's poise when he's on the court that is enticing. I can't really quantify that, there's just something about the way he moves on the court that makes me think there's something there.

That said, Nesmith has shown more and is a more natural fit alongside the J's as someone who is already good at moving without the ball and spotting up.

It's not just his poise. Something magical often happened when Romeo was on the court last season.

Some things I noticed - They'd be a number of unexpected deflected passes, an opposing shooter unwilling to shoot over him, a blindsided blocked shot, a rebound that leads to a fast break, etc. Unappreciated plays like this is why he got so many minutes. The team as a whole did better when he was on the court. Too many of his naysayers overlook this and only focus on his offense. He has a synergistic effect on those around them and makes them look better.   

He didn't have a good summer league offensively. I thought he was a lot better playing along side the veterans.

I think that your memory may be playing tricks on you. Romeo had the worst plus minus on the team call mom and it wasn’t particularly close.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/boston-celtics-player-with-best-plus-minus-2021

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2021, 06:00:29 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

I think that your memory may be playing tricks on you. Romeo had the worst plus minus on the team call mom and it wasn’t particularly close.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/boston-celtics-player-with-best-plus-minus-2021

I believe those are his season numbers - perhaps lingering effects of Covid and/or his injuries. In the playoffs he did quite well. https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/langfro01.html  (See playoff numbers. They are pretty good.)