Author Topic: Timelord signs 4 year $54M extension  (Read 19957 times)

Re: Timelord signs 4 year $54M extension
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2021, 01:14:41 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Would anyone disagree with the premise that Robert Williams will be a top 10 center if he can stay on the court?
Starting-caliber Center? For sure. Top 10? Not so much. Assuming Timelord stays healthy going forward, I still don't think he''ll become better than any of these guys are right now.

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

Granted, some of them are playing plenty of their minutes at PF, but imo they are at their best when playing at Center. I also think Giannis and Simmons would be at their best at Center, but that's another story.

Plenty of other names are worthy of consideration as well. For instance, vets like Brook Lopez, Capela, Valanciunas, Nurkic, Myles Turner or young Centers like Ayton and Jarrett Allen. Don't think Timelord will ever become as good as BroLo is right now. Remember game 5 against the Hawks? BroLo can create his own shot, plus he can consistently shoot the 3. Timelord will never reach that level as a player.

Generally speaking, I'm low on drop bigs unless they are offensive juggernauts (for instance, Jokic, Embiid, KAT). Brad was always using Timelord in a drop scheme. Problem is, Tatum, Brown and Smart are at their best in a switch-heavy defensive scheme. I'm curious to see how Udoka will use him this season. Personally speaking, I don't think he has the lateral quickness to switch ball screens on the perimeter.

Obviously, Timelord is a terrific rim protector. That said, he has a long way to go as a PnR defender. He allowed 1.39 PPP when defending the PnR last season which ranked in the 10th percentile. Likewise, he allowed 1.21 PPP during the 2019/20 season which ranked in the 20th percentile. Defending the PnR is a #1 priority in today's NBA. If your starting Center struggles in PnR defense, that's a massive problem in my book. With all due respect, imo Timelord is overrated on this board.

I’d take healthy Williams over healthy Christian Wood today, never mind any additional improvement that comes later.  Yes, Wood can shoot threes better, but he can’t do anything else better.  For instance, despite his bench role and limited health, Williams had more total assists, blocks, and steals than Wood, never mind the rate stats that he completely outclasses Wood with.

There’s a couple other guys I feel it is very likely TL passes as well, but Wood is so overrated to be included.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:25:16 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2021, 01:19:43 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
If TL’s ONLY improvement moving forward was just to stay healthy, this would already be a great contract. Yes, even if he doesn’t improve anywhere else and he just stays healthy
- LilRip

« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2021, 01:25:17 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10003496-nets-kyrie-irving-james-harden-praise-celtics-robert-williams-after-game-1

"Brooklyn Nets stars James Harden and Kyrie Irving praised Boston Celtics center Robert Williams III for his strong defensive performance Saturday in Game 1 of the teams' first-round playoff series.

"He contested everything, both at the rim and on the perimeter," Harden told reporters after the Nets' 104-93 comeback victory. "... He's one of the reasons why we didn't shoot so well."

Irving added: "We'll be more aware going into Game 2. He's shifting over on every one of our drives. His timing is amazing."

Williams nearly recorded a triple-double off the bench in the series opener, tallying 11 points, nine rebounds and nine blocks in just 23 minutes."

I mean I know that was only one game.  But come on, the eye-test on Timelord was off the charts almost every time he played last year.  He made a huge impact almost instantly in every game.  If he can stay healthy, he is such a difference maker.  I don't see how anyone can say this contract was a huge overpay.  It just isn't.

« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2021, 01:30:41 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Would anyone disagree with the premise that Robert Williams will be a top 10 center if he can stay on the court?
Starting-caliber Center? For sure. Top 10? Not so much. Assuming Timelord stays healthy going forward, I still don't think he''ll become better than any of these guys are right now.

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

Granted, some of them are playing plenty of their minutes at PF, but imo they are at their best when playing at Center. I also think Giannis and Simmons would be at their best at Center, but that's another story.

Plenty of other names are worthy of consideration as well. For instance, vets like Brook Lopez, Capela, Valanciunas, Nurkic, Myles Turner or young Centers like Ayton and Jarrett Allen. Don't think Timelord will ever become as good as BroLo is right now. Remember game 5 against the Hawks? BroLo can create his own shot, plus he can consistently shoot the 3. Timelord will never reach that level as a player.

Generally speaking, I'm low on drop bigs unless they are offensive juggernauts (for instance, Jokic, Embiid, KAT). Brad was always using Timelord in a drop scheme. Problem is, Tatum, Brown and Smart are at their best in a switch-heavy defensive scheme. I'm curious to see how Udoka will use him this season. Personally speaking, I don't think he has the lateral quickness to switch ball screens on the perimeter.

Obviously, Timelord is a terrific rim protector. That said, he has a long way to go as a PnR defender. He allowed 1.39 PPP when defending the PnR last season which ranked in the 10th percentile. Likewise, he allowed 1.21 PPP during the 2019/20 season which ranked in the 20th percentile. Defending the PnR is a #1 priority in today's NBA. If your starting Center struggles in PnR defense, that's a massive problem in my book. With all due respect, imo Timelord is overrated on this board.

You haven’t taken into account what I think are his strongest attributes. He has the potential to be an excellent high-post center. Solid screener, very good passer, elite roll threat. Add to that his very good rebounding percentages and you have a player with the potential to really supercharge this offense.

His defense is a work in progress. But his block numbers and steal percentages are very high because he is long and very active. He has extremely long arms, which give him a standing reach well above average for an NBA center - an inch higher than Ayton, for example. It’s disruptive. If he continues to learn where to position himself and keeps cutting down on challenging shots when he has no chance to block them, he will be in line with the top 5-10 defensive centers in the league - certainly ahead of players like Wood, Sabonas, Vucevic, and the like.
When it comes to defense, the important thing is to stay in front of your opponent. Timelord doesn't have the lateral quickness to consistently stay in front of his opponents on the perimeter, hence he drops back and protects the rim. This is a major issue in my book, especially since the C's are built around 2 switchable (s)wings in Tatum and Brown. Ideally, we'd rather have a starting Center who can switch ball screens on the perimeter. Let's say a guy like Theis, only better. Prime Horford would have been an amazing fit on our team. Easier said than done obviously.

His defense is a work in progress.
Theoretically, his defense is his strong point. If you think it's a work in progress, then where should we start about his offense? Sure, he's a willing passer, but that's partly because he's a very limited ball handler. He cannot put the ball on the floor to save his life. Of course he'd defer to his teammates. He has no 3pt range. He scores the vast majority of his points via dunks and putbacks. He's a very good roll man (he ranks in the 74th percentile). He's nothing special as a low post scorer (he ranks in the 46th percentile). All in all, he's a limited offensive player.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:43:28 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2021, 01:55:56 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

I’d take healthy Williams over healthy Christian Wood today, never mind any additional improvement that comes later.  Yes, Wood can shoot threes better, but he can’t do anything else better.  For instance, despite his bench role and limited health, Williams had more total assists, blocks, and steals than Wood, never mind the rate stats that he completely outclasses Wood with.

There’s a couple other guys I feel it is very likely TL passes as well, but Wood is so overrated to be included.
With all due respect, this is borderline ridiculous. Timelord is nowhere near the player Wood is. He'll never reach Wood's level either, simply because he's a very limited ball handler and shot creator. Unlike Timelord, Wood can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot. He has 3pt range. He can play D on the perimeter. He's a terrific PnR defender. He's an elite roller (even better than Timelord). What are we talking about here? They aren't even in the same conversation. Wood is an all-star-caliber player. Timelord is a rim runner, hence a role player.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 03:21:38 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2021, 01:57:37 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
You left out Anthony Davis.

My bad I was considering him a PF because they threw out Drummond/Gasol as their starting centers a lot last year.

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2021, 03:13:01 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Robert Williams is not even a top 25 starting center
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2021, 03:25:41 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

You haven’t taken into account what I think are his strongest attributes. He has the potential to be an excellent high-post center. Solid screener, very good passer, elite roll threat. Add to that his very good rebounding percentages and you have a player with the potential to really supercharge this offense.

His defense is a work in progress. But his block numbers and steal percentages are very high because he is long and very active. He has extremely long arms, which give him a standing reach well above average for an NBA center - an inch higher than Ayton, for example. It’s disruptive. If he continues to learn where to position himself and keeps cutting down on challenging shots when he has no chance to block them, he will be in line with the top 5-10 defensive centers in the league - certainly ahead of players like Wood, Sabonas, Vucevic, and the like.
When it comes to defense, the important thing is to stay in front of your opponent. Timelord doesn't have the lateral quickness to consistently stay in front of his opponents on the perimeter, hence he drops back and protects the rim. This is a major issue in my book, especially since the C's are built around 2 switchable (s)wings in Tatum and Brown. Ideally, we'd rather have a starting Center who can switch ball screens on the perimeter. Let's say a guy like Theis, only better. Prime Horford would have been an amazing fit on our team. Easier said than done obviously.

Theoretically, his defense is his strong point. If you think it's a work in progress, then where should we start about his offense? Sure, he's a willing passer, but that's partly because he's a very limited ball handler. He cannot put the ball on the floor to save his life. Of course he'd defer to his teammates. He has no 3pt range. He scores the vast majority of his points via dunks and putbacks. He's a very good roll man (he ranks in the 74th percentile). He's nothing special as a low post scorer (he ranks in the 46th percentile). All in all, he's a limited offensive player.

I think we see his calling card differently. To me, the  way he changes the offense is a big deal. We are trying to run actions off high pick and rolls. When RW is out on the high post, he’s a challenge for opposing defenses. He’s good at screen and handoff (not all centers are!) and his ability to finish a lob is elite, not just good. It gives him a lot of gravity even without an established jumper (tho he’s started to flash a 15-20 footer). His ORR% was close to 15% - really good for a guy who isn’t collecting any of his own misses (cough, cough, Enes Kanter, who gets 3 boards when he misses his first two shots). The on-off numbers and eye test both bear it out. The team’s shooting percentage and PPP go up when RWIII is on the court.   

On defense, he does need to get better at positioning. It’s reasonable to predict he won’t, or won’t be able to stay in front of his man, but I remain optimistic. And I think his steals and blocks - which often trigger fast real buckets on the other end - matter a lot. If he cleans up his positioning, paying him basically MLE money is a very good deal (he’s clearly better than Theis, already) and if he develops nuts a little it’s a really good deal. The only real risk I see is health.

« Reply #98 on: August 21, 2021, 03:55:10 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

I think we see his calling card differently. To me, the  way he changes the offense is a big deal. We are trying to run actions off high pick and rolls. When RW is out on the high post, he’s a challenge for opposing defenses. He’s good at screen and handoff (not all centers are!) and his ability to finish a lob is elite, not just good. It gives him a lot of gravity even without an established jumper (tho he’s started to flash a 15-20 footer). His ORR% was close to 15% - really good for a guy who isn’t collecting any of his own misses (cough, cough, Enes Kanter, who gets 3 boards when he misses his first two shots). The on-off numbers and eye test both bear it out. The team’s shooting percentage and PPP go up when RWIII is on the court.   

On defense, he does need to get better at positioning. It’s reasonable to predict he won’t, or won’t be able to stay in front of his man, but I remain optimistic. And I think his steals and blocks - which often trigger fast real buckets on the other end - matter a lot. If he cleans up his positioning, paying him basically MLE money is a very good deal (he’s clearly better than Theis, already) and if he develops nuts a little it’s a really good deal. The only real risk I see is health.
Agreed that he's clearly better than Theis, yet Theis was our starter prior to being traded. Why? Because he was the perfect fit in our defensive system. When it comes to role players, fit is more important than talent. The way we play defense, we need a mobile switchable Center way more than we need a rim protector. For instance, look at our PnR defense. When Theis was on the floor, he met the opposing ball handler at the level of dribble hand off and denied penetration. Timelord ain't got the lateral quicks to switch ball screens on the perimeter, hence he drops back and protects the rim. To put it another way, when Timelord was on the floor, we had to change our defensive system. At least this was the case under Brad. Not sure what Udoka thinks regarding our defensive philosophy. I would assume we'll continue to run a switch-heavy defensive scheme because the team is built around the Jays, not around Timelord.

If you ask me, Timelord is expendable. I believe he's a bad fit next to the Jays on the defensive side of the ball. I'd love us to include him in a blockbuster deal for a 3rd star (Beal/Siakam/Simmons). Fwiw, he'll be trade eligible at the deadline despite his recent extension.

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2021, 05:26:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

With all due respect, this is borderline ridiculous. Timelord is nowhere near the player Wood is. He'll never reach Wood's level either, simply because he's a very limited ball handler and shot creator. Unlike Timelord, Wood can put the ball on the floor and create his own shot. He has 3pt range. He can play D on the perimeter. He's a terrific PnR defender. He's an elite roller (even better than Timelord). What are we talking about here? They aren't even in the same conversation. Wood is an all-star-caliber player. Timelord is a rim runner, hence a role player.
I think we need more than half a season of near All-Star play on the worst team in the league before Wood can actually claim "All-Star calibre".
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2021, 07:14:13 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

I like every single move Brad has made!! 
Brad might be a better GM than he was coach; and that’s something.

« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2021, 07:55:32 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

I think we need more than half a season of near All-Star play on the worst team in the league before Wood can actually claim "All-Star calibre".

I mean are our old friend Kelly Olynyk averaged 19 & 9 for that team. I like Kelly and think he’s a better player than most give him credit for, but that’s a little like IT scoring 80+ in ProAm.

« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2021, 08:23:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

I mean are our old friend Kelly Olynyk averaged 19 & 9 for that team. I like Kelly and think he’s a better player than most give him credit for, but that’s a little like IT scoring 80+ in ProAm.
This is essentially my point. That Rockets team made the Klynyk look like a star
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2021, 09:26:54 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

Maybe so, Woods' last season was consistent his per 36 for the previous few years. The biggest difference for him was getting the minutes.

« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2021, 09:39:39 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 468

1. Jokic
2. Embiid
3. AD
4. KAT
5. Bam
6. Gobert
7. Wood
8. Vucevic
9. Sabonis
10. Porzingis

Maybe so, Woods' last season was consistent his per 36 for the previous few years. The biggest difference for him was getting the minutes.

Wopd is definitely a better scorer.  Not robs game.  Rob dominates him on D and has goebert type D potential.  Rob is also the better passer.  Two different types of players.  Rob vs goebert is the comparison you can make.   Similar players and hopefully Rob can become close to Rudy on the defensive end.