Author Topic: Options at backup PF?  (Read 7806 times)

Options at backup PF?
« on: August 04, 2021, 03:08:34 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Who would you like to see the C’s sign as a backup PF? Pickings are slim, but my top 3 would be:

John Henson
Paul Milsap
Marquese Chriss
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Options at backup PF?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Who would you like to see the C’s sign as a backup PF? Pickings are slim, but my top 3 would be:

John Henson
Paul Milsap
Marquese Chriss

I predict a big slice of Grant Williams with a chaser of J. Parker.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 03:15:58 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Like to see Milsap here..release Bruno or Grant
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 03:17:35 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I suspect Jabari Parker will be our back up 4 and occasionally starting 4 (when Tatum rests).

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 03:19:07 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

John Henson
Paul Milsap
Marquese Chriss

I like Parker myself, so hopefully he can be our backup PF. Back-up PF was never a priority for me, a PF/C type we could insert in our starting line-up was of interest, but with Kanter on board, doesn't seem that's going to happen at this point.

I may even entertain the idea of starting Parker alongside Horford, and maybe then I'd look for a better back-up PF to play with Kanter off the bench.

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 03:20:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

John Henson
Paul Milsap
Marquese Chriss

I like Parker myself, so hopefully he can be our backup PF. Back-up PF was never a priority for me, a PF/C type we could insert in our starting line-up was of interest, but with Kanter on board, doesn't seem that's going to happen at this point.

I may even entertain the idea of starting Parker alongside Horford, and maybe then I'd look for a better back-up PF to play with Kanter off the bench.

Parker wasn't too bad last year.  I was being sarcastic about G. Williams.  If our new coach could coax just a little bit more def from Jabari it would be great.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 03:22:41 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

John Henson
Paul Milsap
Marquese Chriss

Parker wasn't too bad last year.  I was being sarcastic about G. Williams.  If our new coach could coax just a little bit more def from Jabari it would be great.

And for some reason I completely forgot that Robert Williams exists LOL... now I have to rethink a bit. But yeah, I like what Parker showed for us, and I thought he did good for us in the Playoffs which is why I'm a bit more positive with him around.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 03:44:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I know you were kidding.   One can make a strong argument down the stretch that Parker outplayed Grant in a lot of ways.   Better Scorer, and Rebounder for sure.

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 03:55:30 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Whether Parker has it in him or not?

He is desperate for a legit contract season after next.

He can join the rest of the expirings and play hard this season.

I think Grant will have a better season than last year...not sure what that adds up to though.

I am reassured that management isn't going all in this season....they signed Kanter.

One day this team will have a frontcourt and that day is in the hands of Robert Williams.

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 03:57:21 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Back Up PF?  Back up for who?  What we need is a starting PF.  We already have enough back ups (Parker, Williams, Kantor) and please don't tell me that Tatum is a PF.  Our need is for a starting caliber PF.  We don't need any more back up PFs.

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 04:06:31 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Back Up PF?  Back up for who?  What we need is a starting PF.  We already have enough back ups (Parker, Williams, Kantor) and please don't tell me that Tatum is a PF.  Our need is for a starting caliber PF.  We don't need any more back up PFs.

Tatum is the starting PF. He’s prototypical, modern day power forward. 6’9” and he can shoot the 3. That’s what the position is now.   
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 04:19:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

John Henson
Paul Milsap
Marquese Chriss

Yeah, this is what it's gonna be.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 04:25:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Tatum is the starting PF. He’s prototypical, modern day power forward. 6’9” and he can shoot the 3. That’s what the position is now.

Well, agree to disagree.  Tatum is a starter but he is not a power forward.  He is a wing, one of the best wings in the entire NBA.  We are forced to play one of the best wings in the NBA in the PF slot because we don't have an actual starting quality PF to play the PF slot.  And he isn't 6'-9", he is listed at 6'-8", not that this is all that important.

Do people really think that we would play Tatum at PF if we actually had a starting PF to play PF?  Most of last year, we started Daniel Theis at PF and he barely at best has starting level talent.  I wouldn't (play Tatum at PF).  I would prefer to never play Tatum at PF, to always play him at wing.

So if we play say Smart, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, and Horford, is Tatum playing PF?  Why not Brown?  Why not Smart?  The answer is that we are playing without a PF.  We are playing a PG, 3 wings, and a Big.  Nothing wrong with that in certain situations but we would not play that as our core unit if we had a legit starting PF to put out there.

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 04:49:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Shouldn’t you first get a starting Power Forward before looking for his backup?

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Well, agree to disagree.  Tatum is a starter but he is not a power forward.  He is a wing, one of the best wings in the entire NBA.  We are forced to play one of the best wings in the NBA in the PF slot because we don't have an actual starting quality PF to play the PF slot.  And he isn't 6'-9", he is listed at 6'-8", not that this is all that important.

Do people really think that we would play Tatum at PF if we actually had a starting PF to play PF?  Most of last year, we started Daniel Theis at PF and he barely at best has starting level talent.  I wouldn't (play Tatum at PF).  I would prefer to never play Tatum at PF, to always play him at wing.

So if we play say Smart, Richardson, Brown, Tatum, and Horford, is Tatum playing PF?  Why not Brown?  Why not Smart?  The answer is that we are playing without a PF.  We are playing a PG, 3 wings, and a Big.  Nothing wrong with that in certain situations but we would not play that as our core unit if we had a legit starting PF to put out there.

That’s what a modern PF is. A big wing player. Just look at the other teams in East. KD, Tobias Harris, Siakam, Jermiah Grant, PJ Washington, PJ Tucker, Rui Hachimura all play the power forward position. Even Randle and Collins play more like wings and they are both in the  6’8”/6’9” range. Tatum fits that mold and he can matchup with any of those guys.