Author Topic: Is the current Celtics roster too short? Are there too many wings?  (Read 1012 times)

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Looking at the current Celtics roster from ESPN - it appears the Celtics lack height and have too many wing/guard players.

https://www.espn.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/bos/boston-celtics

Jaylen Brown 6'6"
*Kris Dunn 6'3"
Carsen Edwards 5'11"
*Bruno Fernando 6'9"
Al Horford 6'9"
Enes Kanter 6'10"
*Luke Kornet 7'2"
Romeo Langford 6'4"
Aaron Nesmith 6'6"
Jabari Parker 6'8"
Payton Pritchard 6'2"
Josh Richardson 6'5"
Marcus Smart 6'3"
Jayson Tatum  6'8"
Grant Williams 6'6"
Robert Williams III 6'8"

Sam Hauser 6'8"   two way

*Yam Madar 6'3"  ??

The asterisks are for players I'm not sure if they are officially on the roster or are questionable if they'll be on the team.   

R Williams plays much taller than 6'8", but is injury prone.

Al is getting up there in age - who knows how he'll hold up this year. Just pray he comes into camp in shape. 

It looks like the team will have trouble rebounding, blocking shots and clogging the lane. There's little intimidation factor.

I was hoping Moses was going to stay - he keeps penetrating guards wary around the hoop. R Williams does that too. Just he's not on the court all the time.

Overall, it looks like we have too many guards/wings and not enough athleticism on the boards and defensively against bigs. 

Re: Is the current Celtics roster too short? Are there too many wings?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 09:47:10 PM »

Offline rogueandpoet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
The "C"s have been without athletic bigs forever. Rob Williams is the closest we've come in the Brad Stevens era. Kanter is OK, he's at least big but not ahtletic. It is the biggest weakness this team has. I too was hopefull we would keep Mo Barnes. The big doesn't need to stretch the floor, that's what wings are for. The big needs to protect the rim. Rob needs a backup that can do that when he's out.

Re: Is the current Celtics roster too short? Are there too many wings?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:53:35 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I'm not surprised they didn't get any of their PF targets. It's just not that easy a position to fill these days and the Celtics are limited since they don't want to go over a year in contract length.