Author Topic: Report: Dennis Schröder in negotiations with Celtics  (Read 24806 times)

Re: Report: Dennis Schröder in negotiations with Celtics
« Reply #150 on: August 10, 2021, 10:05:18 AM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
#Celtics have offered Dennis Schroder a one-year deal - at the taxpayer $5.9M MLE - per league sources. The current hold up for Schroder is twofold: He wants the full MLE - which is $9.5M - and also seeks a second-year player option. Boston doesn’t want to be hard-capped.

Take it for what it’s worth.

All of this, letting Fornier walk, and not even having the full MLE? Wth

Dump Grant Williams and Edwards and get this guy with the Full for a year

It is not that simple.  Once we use the full MLE, then we are hard capped, no matter who else we are able to "dump".  I don't believe it is worth being hard capped for Schroder.  It is possible that a hard cap could cost us a chance at a Beal trade or something else big.

I do not see Beal as a potential Celtic.  If he didn't force his way out of DC this summer, it's because he wants to be there.

Schroder would be great as a 6th man/2nd unit scoring leader.

« Reply #151 on: August 10, 2021, 10:34:48 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/1425044676000747520?s=20

Looks like the 5.9m slot is the offer not the full MLE.

« Reply #152 on: August 10, 2021, 10:52:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
#Celtics have offered Dennis Schroder a one-year deal - at the taxpayer $5.9M MLE - per league sources. The current hold up for Schroder is twofold: He wants the full MLE - which is $9.5M - and also seeks a second-year player option. Boston doesn’t want to be hard-capped.

I can only see the Celtics coming back with a better offer if other dominoes fall (get out from Dunn's contract, Smart agrees to extension, etc.)

It makes sense that the C's would find there way to the non-taxpayer's MLE, but makes no sense to offer a player option on year 2.

The player option is fine. Schroder is easily tradable at $10mil. So Boston can move him and still get Beal if that opportunity comes to fruition.

Schroder was widely regarded as one of the best 6th men in the league and/or a quality starting PG. He is great value at $10mil. Boston will not be short of trading options.

But why would Shroder exercise the 10M option?  Wouldn't it have to be because, for some reason, he thinks he couldn't get more than that on the market?  And wouldn't that most likely be because of an injury or poor play -- and wouldn't that impact the C's ability to trade him?

Yeah, good point.

It would take something pretty extreme for that to happen most likely an injury. A season-long injury type situation. I'm not sure how worried I am about that. The risk seems low.

But yeah, that is the reason for Schroder opting in. And that would complicate trading him and result in Boston having to give up assets to move him (likely a 1st round pick).
a 1 year 10 million expiring contract would not require value to move if it was part of a larger trade and was a salary component of it. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #153 on: August 10, 2021, 11:01:16 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's interesting to me that the Celtics don't want to become hard-capped.  It's possible that that's just a negotiating tactic to insist on the cheaper MLE.  However, if the Celtics are sincerely contemplating exceeding the apron to pursue a big trade later this season, then I'll take back what I said about Wyc being cheap.  Sort of.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #154 on: August 10, 2021, 11:25:18 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
It's interesting to me that the Celtics don't want to become hard-capped.  It's possible that that's just a negotiating tactic to insist on the cheaper MLE.  However, if the Celtics are sincerely contemplating exceeding the apron to pursue a big trade later this season, then I'll take back what I said about Wyc being cheap.  Sort of.

Probably a bit of both.  I think it’s mostly about having flexibility to acquire someone like Beal who might become available at the deadline.  You don’t want to miss out on him because you couldn’t make the numbers work due to hard-capping yourself by signing Dennis Schroeder.  Even if there’s only a 10% chance someone like that is available, that 10% is worth it, especially as it’s not like Schroeder has a ton of other options anyway.

« Reply #155 on: August 10, 2021, 11:28:34 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

I don't think anything is certain but do you want to give away the option to execute a trade to bring in more of a star, just for 1 year of Schroder?  Beal is certainly one specific player that could be moved mid season, that we could very well be in on, but not for sure.  That is just one example.  I think it would be silly to sign Schroder and lock out the possibility just because you don't think Washington will trade Beal (I know Roy isn't saying that, but others are).  Economist call this Opportunity Cost.  What is the opportunity cost of signing Schroder to $9.8M or whatever and being hard capped?  Impossible to say right now but some opportunity will be taken off the table.  It might be Beal, it might be something else.  To me, Schroder is not worth it.

The calculus around Fournier is different.  No hard cap issue if we had signed him, just tax payments and starting the tax clock.  That is a pure value calculation.  Fournier at $20M or whatever for 3 or 4 years, with tax or Richardson for 1 year at $11.6M and at least the possibility of no tax.  To me, I feel this was too much to pay for a player that essentially would be our 3rd wing behind Tatum and Brown.  Fournier would be tradable for say Beal or someone like that so there would still be options.  This probably did come down to cost/value.  There will always be plenty to debate or second guess on this one.  It would have been nice to at least get a TPE but I am not terribly disappointed about this transaction.

« Reply #156 on: August 10, 2021, 11:43:23 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report

It is not that simple.  Once we use the full MLE, then we are hard capped, no matter who else we are able to "dump".  I don't believe it is worth being hard capped for Schroder.  It is possible that a hard cap could cost us a chance at a Beal trade or something else big.

I do not see Beal as a potential Celtic.  If he didn't force his way out of DC this summer, it's because he wants to be there.

Does Beal not have to stay with Washington in order to sign a supermax extension?

I don't think you can read too much into Beal, one way or the other. If he's an option, I'm not certain he'd be a good fit.

« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2021, 12:13:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report

Does Beal not have to stay with Washington in order to sign a supermax extension?

I don't think you can read too much into Beal, one way or the other. If he's an option, I'm not certain he'd be a good fit.
This is Beal's 10th season so he qualifies for 35% next summer no matter what team he is on.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip