Author Topic: Cs Worth 3.2 Billion. Wyc is Cheap  (Read 4641 times)

Cs Worth 3.2 Billion. Wyc is Cheap
« on: August 04, 2021, 01:00:32 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 I'm so tired of these guys not willing to spend money.  Poor Wyc, he's not Steve Balmer rich, not even Marc Cuban rich. Cry me a river.

Spend a lot of money over the next few years while we still have Tatum and Brown.  Or sell the team respectfully to someone who will.

Wyc and Steve. Man up and pay to play. Pay to win, your cheap suckers.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:38:21 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Cs Worth 3.2 Billion. Wyc is Cheap
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 01:48:28 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378

I'm so tired of these guys not willing to spend money.  Poor Wyc, he's not Steve Balmer rich, not even Marc Cuban rich. Cry me a river.

Spend a lot of money over the next few years while we still have Tatum and Brown.  Or sell the team respectfully to someone who will.

Wyc and Steve. Man up and pay to play. Pay to win your cheap suckers.

Agreed 100%...for the first time in my life, the Lakers are gonna have more Rings....disgusting.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 02:09:10 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I 100% agree Wyc & Steve are cheap, but the valuation of the team is irrelevant from the conversation of the luxury tax.

If I own a house and it’s worth 1 million dollars, but I am currently living in it, it’s value is superfluous.

They only have two options; either sell a percentage of the team to a new investor to bring in some cash or simply sell the team. My only hope is they sell the team and to the right consortium.

I have already posted my thoughts on that Celtics need to own their own arena to truely be a team where luxury tax is never an issue. Although it’s been pointed out that the TD Garden rent is cheap, it’s the gates from concerts, shows and other sports that makes Knicks, Lakers & GSW a cut above.

I am not aware if an NBA team can be floated on the stock exchange but hypothetically that can be an option as well.

The Boston Celtics do deserve better.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 02:14:09 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Fire Wyc! Fire Wyc! Fire Wyc!

And take Brad Stevens with him while we're at it!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2021, 02:57:00 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Can you fire an owner?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2021, 03:09:55 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Can you fire an owner?
Techincally, you could. If you can find any scandals that may warrant his reputation like what happened to Sterling, Silver himself will take care of the rest.

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2021, 03:12:44 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I 100% agree Wyc & Steve are cheap, but the valuation of the team is irrelevant from the conversation of the luxury tax.

If I own a house and it’s worth 1 million dollars, but I am currently living in it, it’s value is superfluous.

They only have two options; either sell a percentage of the team to a new investor to bring in some cash or simply sell the team. My only hope is they sell the team and to the right consortium.

I have already posted my thoughts on that Celtics need to own their own arena to truely be a team where luxury tax is never an issue. Although it’s been pointed out that the TD Garden rent is cheap, it’s the gates from concerts, shows and other sports that makes Knicks, Lakers & GSW a cut above.

I am not aware if an NBA team can be floated on the stock exchange but hypothetically that can be an option as well.

Finance doesn't work that way. The equity in the team can be leveraged at any point to offset large revenue deficits caused by paying the luxury tax. Wyc and Co. probably have over $2 billion in equity they could use to offset a large tax bill. And guess what, that money will be easily made up because in 10 years the team will probably be valued at over $5 billion.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 07:25:30 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm beginning to see Wyc and the ownership group similar to the way the B's were run under the Sinden years with Jacobs.  #cheap

"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2021, 07:46:19 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I agree.  The team also pulls in roughly $85 - $100 million in profits annually.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/286033/operating-income-of-the-boston-celtics-national-basketball-association/

That’s approximately $735 million in profits.  Yet, only approximately $50 million has been spent on luxury tax.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cba/tax/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 08:40:55 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Why should they sign guys like Fournier to overpriced contracts that won't make the Celtics a contender and will eliminate cap space next summer?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 08:45:47 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Why should they sign guys like Fournier to overpriced contracts that won't make the Celtics a contender and will eliminate cap space next summer?

I agree with you, I was not fully on with re-signing Fournier, although i wish we could have done a S&T with him for a TPE.  That said, don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Beal could very well burn us next year too, fortunately, there are a ton of really good free agents in 2022: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2022/
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 08:54:44 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If they are going this way they should go all in.  Trade smart for young guys, smaller expirings, and/or future picks.  Trade Hortford for smaller, shorter contracts and or picks.  Unless they can trade for your future 3rd piece now, they sell off and go all in next off season.  Unless you can do hortford, smart, and a ton of picks for beal and hachimura now...as that would get the party started now.

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2021, 08:55:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I agree with you, I was not fully on with re-signing Fournier, although i wish we could have done a S&T with him for a TPE.  That said, don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Beal could very well burn us next year too, fortunately, there are a ton of really good free agents in 2022: 

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/2022/

In addition to already jettisoning Fournier and our MLE this year, we’d have to renounce Smart and Richardson, stretch Horford, and most likely let Timelord move on.

What free agents on that list are worth Fournier, Richardson, Smart and Horford?  And how many of them will actually be available?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2021, 08:59:07 AM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306

Forbes says operating income of Celtics was $86 million last year. A small luxury tax would not be a big issue for the ownership.

My guess is that they don't want to pay luxury tax a 2nd year in a row with nothing to show for it.

Yes, unless a league rule has changed, the team or part of it can be publicly traded. Back in the Paul Gaston days ~49% of the team was owned by a publicly traded partnership (which was also majority owned by Gaston). The PTP was dissolved when Grousbeck & co purchased the team in 2002.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2021, 09:01:40 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Forbes says operating income of Celtics was $86 million last year. A small luxury tax would not be a big issue for the ownership.

My guess is that they don't want to pay luxury tax a 2nd year in a rowwith nothing to show for it.

Yes, unless a league rule has changed, the team or part of it can be publicly traded. Back in the Paul Gaston days ~49% of the team was owned by a publicly traded partnership (which was also majority owned by Gaston). The PTP was dissolved when Grousbeck & co purchased the team in 2002.

They didn’t pay the tax last year, nor this year.