Author Topic: First time I am worried  (Read 10449 times)

Re: First time I am worried
« Reply #75 on: August 04, 2021, 09:02:54 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I usually don’t overreact to things in regards to the Celtics because I always had trust in Ainge. Even though things regressed during last few seasons, I could understand the logic and it was mostly down to very bad luck, but now I am worried.

I don’t know if it’s ownership or Stevens but everything that has been done since Ainge left, screams cheap and unimaginative.

The Celtics moves resemble checkers, when guys like, Presti, Ujiri & Sean Marks are all playing elite chess. I could be just dense or blind to some grand plan, but from what I can see their ‘master plan’ was and is, dump Kemba and give up a good pick, open a max contract slot and cross our fingers Beal signs next season…the end.

Look at the players rivals have picked up and Celtics have done nothing. Horford has always been prone to injury and will only more frequent, Williams III has struggled to get on the floor regularly and when he does, he’s a fouling machine. Smart is and will be the same frustrating player that will only be given more responsibility and cause more headaches. Richardson hasn’t had a good season since his time in Miami, although I like Dunn he can’t stay healthy, Brown is coming back from major surgery and our bench is one of the worse in the league.

It seems like Stevens has all his eggs in one basket and is just hoping for the best.

This is the first time you've been worried? I take it you missed the ML Carr years and the Pitino era?
beat me to it.  thought the same thing - TP

« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2021, 09:09:10 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't know if I am worried yet but I am definitely anxious. I do not like what I am seeing.

If next year's FA plans bottom out, then I will get worried. Then I will start to worry about Tatum or Jaylen getting angsty and starting to wonder if they need to leave BOS to fulfill their title dream hopes.

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
We the fans overreact all the time. That's what we do. The C's got 2 young All-Stars. We also got all our future picks intact. Are we legit contenders? No, but we are one move away.

Plenty of posters don't like the idea of signing Beal via free agency, cause we'd have to gut our team in the process. Fair enough. How about we trade for him? If you ask me, I don't think the Wiz will make the playoffs next season. As things stand right now, I got 10 teams better than them:

Tier 1
Nets
Bucks
Sixers

Tier 2
Heat
Bulls
Celtics
Hawks
Knicks

Tier 3
Pacers
Hornets

If the Wiz look like a lotto team next season, I could see us striking a deal for Beal at the trade deadline.

Horford + prospect(s) + multiple firsts for Beal would be a valid trade, salary-wise.

Alternatively, I could see us striking a deal for Siakam. It's possible that he'll become available now that the Raps drafted Scottie Barnes. I'd also love us to go after Ben Simmons. In fact, he'd be my #1 target, but I fully understand he's a polarizing player.

I think the Celtics and Knicks are tier 3 teams. Knicks because I need to see them prove they can replicate what they did last year. 

But as far as we go, I just don't think we have the same talent level as Miami, Atlanta or even Chicago now. Yes, we have the Jays. And I'll say we can count Marcus to some extent even though his defense regressed last year. Everything after that is a question mark. What does Al have left in the tank? Can Josh have a bounce back season? Can Timelord stay healthy? Can one of the kids take a leap? What happens when Marcus gets his annual injury and misses 10-20 games? Oh and how is this all going to work under a rookie head coach?

A lot is going to have to break right for us to avoid the play in again.

I am leaning more towards

Tier 1

Brooklyn
Milwaukee
Philly

Tier 2

Philly
Atlanta
Miami
Boston

Tier 3

Chicago
Charlotte
New York
Indiana
Washington

--------------------

I wonder if Philly should drop to Tier 2. If they make a good trade with Ben Simmons, I can see them as Tier 1 but if they fail to make that trade - are they really better than Atlanta or Miami (or Boston)?

Yeah, I'm dropping Philly to Tier 2.

« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2021, 09:26:32 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
We the fans overreact all the time. That's what we do. The C's got 2 young All-Stars. We also got all our future picks intact. Are we legit contenders? No, but we are one move away.

Plenty of posters don't like the idea of signing Beal via free agency, cause we'd have to gut our team in the process. Fair enough. How about we trade for him? If you ask me, I don't think the Wiz will make the playoffs next season. As things stand right now, I got 10 teams better than them:

Tier 1
Nets
Bucks
Sixers

Tier 2
Heat
Bulls
Celtics
Hawks
Knicks

Tier 3
Pacers
Hornets

If the Wiz look like a lotto team next season, I could see us striking a deal for Beal at the trade deadline.

Horford + prospect(s) + multiple firsts for Beal would be a valid trade, salary-wise.

Alternatively, I could see us striking a deal for Siakam. It's possible that he'll become available now that the Raps drafted Scottie Barnes. I'd also love us to go after Ben Simmons. In fact, he'd be my #1 target, but I fully understand he's a polarizing player.
I think you're right about the top tier depending on what Philly does with Simmons.  If he stays, I think they're a notch below the Nets and Bucks.

Tier 2 I see as Heat and Hawks (and possibly Philly depending on Simmons).  I see them as clearly a notch above the Knicks, Bulls and Celtics.

Tier 3: Knicks, Bulls, Celtics and I think the Hornets and Pacers could fit in this tier together.  where they shake out in the standings is something I think will be driven by who stays the healthiest.

Washington, Orlando, Cavs, Pistons and Toronto figure to be comfortably on the outside looking in although if Toronto gets healthy and Siakam gets out of his funk from last season, they could get into the mix.

« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2021, 09:37:12 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Washington, Orlando, Cavs, Pistons and Toronto figure to be comfortably on the outside looking in although if Toronto gets healthy and Siakam gets out of his funk from last season, they could get into the mix.

I only see Toronto getting into it if they can fix their center position. That position is a disaster zone for them.

I am not wild about their team overall. The fit. I feel like they got two different squads. One squad built around drive and kick guards. A second squad built around versatile forwards who rely on cutting, post ups and opportunistic offense who I do not believe play well in a drive and kick based offense. They lack high level perimeter skills (shooting, handles, passing). They play better when they get touches closer to the rim than when they are asked to space the floor.

I look at their team and I see an underachieving group of players because they do not get the best out of one another. Instead, they harm one another. Make life more difficult for each other.

And that they desperately need a center who can help bring that team back together like Marc Gasol did for them prior to leaving. I feel Dragic (not VanVleet) has enough teamwork to make it work from the backcourt but he can't do it by himself. He needs legit talent at center. Like Boston has in Al Horford.

« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2021, 09:45:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I only see Toronto getting into it if they can fix their center position. That position is a disaster zone for them.

I am not wild about their team overall. The fit. I feel like they got two different squads. One squad built around drive and kick guards. A second squad built around versatile forwards who rely on cutting, post ups and opportunistic offense who I do not believe play well in a drive and kick based offense. They lack high level perimeter skills (shooting, handles, passing). They play better when they get touches closer to the rim than when they are asked to space the floor.

I look at their team and I see an underachieving group of players because they do not get the best out of one another. Instead, they harm one another. Make life more difficult for each other.

And that they desperately need a center who can help bring that team back together like Marc Gasol did for them prior to leaving. I feel Dragic (not VanVleet) has enough teamwork to make it work from the backcourt but he can't do it by himself. He needs legit talent at center. Like Boston has in Al Horford.
these are some of the reasons I put them in the comfortably outside the playoffs group with the caveat that they do have a number of talented players on the roster that if they figure out how to work together can get into that last group competing for a final playoff spot.

« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2021, 10:16:42 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I was worried for most of last year if I am truly honest.

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2021, 05:35:13 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I usually don’t overreact to things in regards to the Celtics because I always had trust in Ainge. Even though things regressed during last few seasons, I could understand the logic and it was mostly down to very bad luck, but now I am worried.

I don’t know if it’s ownership or Stevens but everything that has been done since Ainge left, screams cheap and unimaginative.

The Celtics moves resemble checkers, when guys like, Presti, Ujiri & Sean Marks are all playing elite chess. I could be just dense or blind to some grand plan, but from what I can see their ‘master plan’ was and is, dump Kemba and give up a good pick, open a max contract slot and cross our fingers Beal signs next season…the end.

Look at the players rivals have picked up and Celtics have done nothing. Horford has always been prone to injury and will only more frequent, Williams III has struggled to get on the floor regularly and when he does, he’s a fouling machine. Smart is and will be the same frustrating player that will only be given more responsibility and cause more headaches. Richardson hasn’t had a good season since his time in Miami, although I like Dunn he can’t stay healthy, Brown is coming back from major surgery and our bench is one of the worse in the league.

It seems like Stevens has all his eggs in one basket and is just hoping for the best.

Conversely, I'm quite content. Expectations are low, everyone thinks Brad is trash, the team will be trash and nobody expects us to get out of the first round, let alone make a deep playoff run. And we may well be. But in 30 seasons of watching since I was a kid, it's usually those low expectation teams that end up being fun to watch for me because the bar is set so low for them to begin with. Every little is expected of this team which is just the way I like it. Sky high expectations that are not met aren't as much fun to watch. I'm excited to see what this season brings.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 05:58:34 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2021, 08:54:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am still going to support the team and watch every game but this whole plan is predicated on someone signing here.   It could work brilliantly or fail miserably.  Hence, a little worry.

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2021, 09:07:21 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Unless Udoka gets into Marcus Smart's head I don't see us going anywhere with Marcus as our starting point guard.  I was hoping for an upgrade at that position.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2021, 09:13:37 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I am still going to support the team and watch every game but this whole plan is predicated on someone signing here.   It could work brilliantly or fail miserably.  Hence, a little worry.

There’s always worry/risk with every plan.  When Danny traded for KG and RA there was worry that the Big 3 were on the old side (31, 32, 33) and if they didn’t win Year 1 they’d be even older. Plus injury risk.   I think once this season plays out and Brad is sitting with 2 a-stars and a max contract amount of flexibility, most here will be pretty happy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:51:58 AM by Neurotic Guy »

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2021, 09:47:36 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Unless Udoka gets into Marcus Smart's head I don't see us going anywhere with Marcus as our starting point guard.  I was hoping for an upgrade at that position.

This^
Smart has PG like tendencies, but forgets about them much too often. His bulldog tenacity sometimes surfaces by taking poor shot after poor shot until he finally finds the bottom of the net, this to the detriment of the team. His "heat-check" shot is almost always
ill-advised. Marcus has somehow convinced himself he's a prime scoring option.

When in truth his best value is off the bench for bursts of energy.     

« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2021, 10:29:44 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I was finally out on DA when he failed to deal Hayward at deadline then ended up with a crummy TPE when he could of have Turner and McBuckets. There were other decisions that also played in. The drafts, the moving guys that were good locker room guys (Baynes, Theis, Greene). Not building a BS type team to support his coach's style. Not moving Smart when his value was high.

DA wasn't terrible but there was a disconnect from the actual team I feel.

BS is gambling hard both ways to set up salary space and compete. He is making some mistakes and should be investing in development to offset salary like the Nets. Let Tatum and Brown get 30pts a game and develop guys that are in the future picture. No vets just a bridge year would suit best.

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

That's not a fair statement on Horford, he hasn't been prone to injury. He'd played 90% of games the last 6 seasons prior to last year, and he missed half of last year because they shut him down even though he was healthy. For a guy in his 30s, that's a very good record.

Dunn may not even be on the team come fall, no point in worrying about him yet.

I've got concerns as well. We have 2 all stars, and IMO, a soon to be top 5 player in the league in Tatum. When it comes to star power, that should be enough to contend, NJN was the favorite last year with just 2, Durant and Kyrie, before the issue of Harden ever came up. The Bucs won a title with one elite player surrounded by a bunch of role players. The Suns got to the final with 2 stars, neither of whom any of us would trade either of our stars for.

The time should be now. I love Bradley Beal, but ultimately, I don't think he adds that much to our team. The sum of parts would be greater than the whole if we added him.  IMO, Stevens' plan (assuming he has one) can't be just based on getting Beal. The odds are too high that we won't get him, even if he is the answer to what we need.  But at this point, I'm still willing to trust Brad, until he proves we can't.

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2021, 01:00:21 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
This season is definitely a change of pace, feeling-wise as a fan, from what we've been used to the last few years.

Summer of 2013: we're rebuilding, expect the C's to suck (and they delivered).  Should get a good draft pick next year at least.  Let's start watching some Andrew Wiggins hightlight videos, next LeBron.

Summer of 2014: still rebuilding, but excited to see Smart and Young can do.  Bill Simmons is excited about Young, so you know he's going to be good.  Sully looks like he's about to put it all together too.  Nets not doing great, having those picks is starting to get exciting.

Summer of 2015: wow last season was fun.  Things are trending up and the Nets have no hope, plus we have a ton of our own picks this summer, it's getting more and more exciting!

Summer of 2016: #3 pick, 2 max free agent slots. Durant and Hortford!  Well just Horford is still pretty good! High hopes for this Brown kid.  What a steal IT4 was!  Plus 2 more Nets picks to go! And tons of our own young guys with potential!

Summer of 2017: just went to the Conference Finals, and got the #1 pick, and we have a chance to add Hayward!  Yes we got him!  Wow Kyrie for Isaiah out of nowhere, keeps things exciting.  No more Nets picks, but still have Memphis and Sacto picks to root for.  So much to be excited about!

Summer of 2018: just took LeBron to Game 7 in the Conference Finals without our 2 best players.  Also had a 16 game winning streak.  Brown, Tatum, Rozier all look great. Everybody is going to be healthy this year.  LeBron went West.  This is going to be a championship team!  Still got Memphis/Sacto to root against, and Kings look like they'll be a bottom 5 team.  We should be able to re-sign Horford to a team friendly deal next summer.  Being a Celtics fan is awesome!

Summer of 2019: (starting to go down hill a little here), ok Kyrie and Horford left, and we didn't want Rozier anyway, but Kemba for Kyrie will only be a negligible drop in quality, plus Kemba is a better personality fit.  Disappointed the Kings ended up at #14, but we still got lots to be grateful for.  Hayward should finally be at full health, and Tatum, Brown keep getting better.  I bet this Romeo kid will play a lot of games for us.  Plus we got a Memphis pick, and they always suck and just gutted their team to rebuild.  All the bad apples are gone, the chemistry will definitely kick in now, plus Kawhi went West.  East can still be ours!

Summer (well Fall/Winter) of 2020: Hayward is not going to opt out, if he does it'll probably be to sign a team friendly deal, besides there's no good teams with cap room worth going to anyway. Welp, losing Hayward sucks, but now Tatum/Brown will step up and play even better, and will give Nesmith a chance to shine early.  Kemba's knee is going to be well rested.  We can use the Hayward trade exception to nab a difference maker.   Milwaukee, Philly, Brooklyn are all flawed and can be beaten as they only 2 stars each, while we have 3 stars in Kemba, Brown, and Tatum.

Summer 2021: Wow Ainge is out, and Stevens is in.  New GM, new coach, some fresh air to turn things around!  Well, we still have the Tatum/Brown (for now).  Maybe we'll sign a max free agent next year.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 01:07:13 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class