Author Topic: First time I am worried  (Read 10470 times)

Re: First time I am worried
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2021, 11:22:11 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I usually don’t overreact to things in regards to the Celtics because I always had trust in Ainge. Even though things regressed during last few seasons, I could understand the logic and it was mostly down to very bad luck, but now I am worried.

I don’t know if it’s ownership or Stevens but everything that has been done since Ainge left, screams cheap and unimaginative.

The Celtics moves resemble checkers, when guys like, Presti, Ujiri & Sean Marks are all playing elite chess. I could be just dense or blind to some grand plan, but from what I can see their ‘master plan’ was and is, dump Kemba and give up a good pick, open a max contract slot and cross our fingers Beal signs next season…the end.

Look at the players rivals have picked up and Celtics have done nothing. Horford has always been prone to injury and will only more frequent, Williams III has struggled to get on the floor regularly and when he does, he’s a fouling machine. Smart is and will be the same frustrating player that will only be given more responsibility and cause more headaches. Richardson hasn’t had a good season since his time in Miami, although I like Dunn he can’t stay healthy, Brown is coming back from major surgery and our bench is one of the worse in the league.

It seems like Stevens has all his eggs in one basket and is just hoping for the best.

This is the first time you've been worried? I take it you missed the ML Carr years and the Pitino era?

« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2021, 11:28:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I kinda like this roster.

For the first time, the team is truly the Jay's - No Hayward, No Kyrie, No Kemba. My only problem, as always, is that we lack a truly deadly 3 and D third guy, like Joe Harris, Jrue, Klay etc..

I expect both Jay's to put up huge numbers, and lead us to ECF. If they can't position us there by February, then it's time to talk trades.

Let's see the Jay's combined ceiling for once.
I am with you here. I think the team will have a better record than last year and could be a top 3-4 in the East type team.

Could be.

Last year people here were saying Kemba, Semi and Thompson were awful and had to go and that the team needed more veteran help off the bench.

Kemba...gone. Thompson...gone. Semi gone. Vets Horford, Richardson and Dunn added.

And it's only day two of free agency.

If Timelord, Pritchard, Nesmith, Langford and Grant grow their games and if a good PF is added and if they are healthy, then everyone having a proper summer vacation, the Summer League, a proper training camp, a real preseason, the ability to develop in Maine, having a normal, less condensed schedule and having in-season practices is going to go a long way to this team rising above the level of last year. Even moreso because a new voice and type of style of coaching will be leading them
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 12:31:05 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2021, 12:18:32 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I for one am really optimistic. I wanted them to sign Fournier but not go over a 2 year deal. The 2nd year being a player option where he more than likely opts out of. Doesn’t seem like that was possible so he walked. I’m okay with it.

The only way to add another superstar to this team is to do exactly what the Celtics are doing. They’ll be solid next year and in position to add a major free agent afterwards. Bring IT back for a year, reset that bad mojo we got stuck with after we traded him.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2021, 12:54:20 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

For the first time, the team is truly the Jay's - No Hayward, No Kyrie, No Kemba. My only problem, as always, is that we lack a truly deadly 3 and D third guy, like Joe Harris, Jrue, Klay etc..

I expect both Jay's to put up huge numbers, and lead us to ECF. If they can't position us there by February, then it's time to talk trades.

I am with you here. I think the team will have a better record than last year and could be a top 3-4 in the East type team.

Could be.

Last year people here were saying Kemba, Semi and Thompson were awful and had to go and that the team needed more veteran help off the bench.

Kemba...gone. Thompson...gone. Semi gone. Vets Horford, Richardson and Dunn added.

If Timelord, Pritchard, Nesmith, Langford and Grant grow their games and if a good PF is added and if they are healthy, then everyone having a proper summer vacation, the Summer League, a proper training camp, a real preseason, the ability to develop in Maine, having a normal, less condensed schedule and having in-season practices is going to go a long way to this team rising above the level of last year. Even moreso because a new voice and type of style of coaching will be leading them

I’m beginning to warm to this thinking too. Although I’m still hoping to get more solid vets to surround the Js with. I’m hoping this bridge year still ends up as an enjoyable and competitive season for the Cs. An IT reunion would also be a nice touch to cancel out whatever bad karma we have.

« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2021, 01:11:08 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Could be.

I’m beginning to warm to this thinking too. Although I’m still hoping to get more solid vets to surround the Js with. I’m hoping this bridge year still ends up as an enjoyable and competitive season for the Cs. An IT reunion would also be a nice touch to cancel out whatever bad karma we have.
IT could be a feel.good story. But if it looks like IT isn't even as good as Carsen Edwards, him getting playing time or taking up a roster spot means that feel good situation, could get ugly fast. Heck, just look at the anger brewing now in the fanbase. If IT comes here and severely sucks, say bye bye to feel good story.

I think adding him would be a distraction. IT's time here has come and gone.

« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2021, 02:21:55 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I usually don’t overreact to things in regards to the Celtics because I always had trust in Ainge. Even though things regressed during last few seasons, I could understand the logic and it was mostly down to very bad luck, but now I am worried.

I don’t know if it’s ownership or Stevens but everything that has been done since Ainge left, screams cheap and unimaginative.

The Celtics moves resemble checkers, when guys like, Presti, Ujiri & Sean Marks are all playing elite chess. I could be just dense or blind to some grand plan, but from what I can see their ‘master plan’ was and is, dump Kemba and give up a good pick, open a max contract slot and cross our fingers Beal signs next season…the end.

Look at the players rivals have picked up and Celtics have done nothing. Horford has always been prone to injury and will only more frequent, Williams III has struggled to get on the floor regularly and when he does, he’s a fouling machine. Smart is and will be the same frustrating player that will only be given more responsibility and cause more headaches. Richardson hasn’t had a good season since his time in Miami, although I like Dunn he can’t stay healthy, Brown is coming back from major surgery and our bench is one of the worse in the league.

It seems like Stevens has all his eggs in one basket and is just hoping for the best.

This is the first time you've been worried? I take it you missed the ML Carr years and the Pitino era?

Haha yes, fortunately enough I was too young for that dark period.

The first Celtics team I followed closely was in 2004-05 with Ricky Davis, Pierce, Walker, Payton and one of my favourites Raef LaFrentz.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 02:46:08 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2021, 02:22:26 AM »

Offline scottwedman

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Trade everyone except Tatum and start over.

« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2021, 02:55:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Just in time for Tatum to hit free agency and leave?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2021, 03:05:24 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Just in time for Tatum to hit free agency and leave?
Some "blow it uppers" just gotta blow it up!!! You see it every year.

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2021, 05:40:34 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I don’t get it.  Like, a week ago, everyone was singing Brads praises, saying he’s a breath a fresh air, he’s showing that Danny’s just been on cruise control the past few years.

Now, a week later,  its a complete 180.  People want Danny back.  Brads plan isn’t going to work
Greg

« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2021, 07:25:37 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan

Could be.

IT could be a feel.good story. But if it looks like IT isn't even as good as Carsen Edwards, him getting playing time or taking up a roster spot means that feel good situation, could get ugly fast. Heck, just look at the anger brewing now in the fanbase. If IT comes here and severely sucks, say bye bye to feel good story.

I think adding him would be a distraction. IT's time here has come and gone.

Carsen Edwards (LOL) is just barely better than Tremont Waters. Any time he played when it meant something and we needed a bucket he couldn't get it. Wide open - clank! Another waste.

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2021, 07:32:56 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
We the fans overreact all the time. That's what we do. The C's got 2 young All-Stars. We also got all our future picks intact. Are we legit contenders? No, but we are one move away.

Plenty of posters don't like the idea of signing Beal via free agency, cause we'd have to gut our team in the process. Fair enough. How about we trade for him? If you ask me, I don't think the Wiz will make the playoffs next season. As things stand right now, I got 10 teams better than them:

Tier 1
Nets
Bucks
Sixers

Tier 2
Heat
Bulls
Celtics
Hawks
Knicks

Tier 3
Pacers
Hornets

If the Wiz look like a lotto team next season, I could see us striking a deal for Beal at the trade deadline.

Horford + prospect(s) + multiple firsts for Beal would be a valid trade, salary-wise.

Alternatively, I could see us striking a deal for Siakam. It's possible that he'll become available now that the Raps drafted Scottie Barnes. I'd also love us to go after Ben Simmons. In fact, he'd be my #1 target, but I fully understand he's a polarizing player.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:46:02 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2021, 07:52:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Now, a week later,  its a complete 180.  People want Danny back.  Brads plan isn’t going to work

People don't want to hear it, but it was Danny not Brad who got into this mess.   He also got us Brown and Tatum.   But Brad has to take some steps to fix the roster and past mistakes.   So did Danny when he took over

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2021, 07:59:22 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
We the fans overreact all the time. That's what we do. The C's got 2 young All-Stars. We also got all our future picks intact. Are we legit contenders? No, but we are one move away.

Plenty of posters don't like the idea of signing Beal via free agency, cause we'd have to gut our team in the process. Fair enough. How about we trade for him? If you ask me, I don't think the Wiz will make the playoffs next season. As things stand right now, I got 10 teams better than them:

Tier 1
Nets
Bucks
Sixers

Tier 2
Heat
Bulls
Celtics
Hawks
Knicks

Tier 3
Pacers
Hornets

If the Wiz look like a lotto team next season, I could see us striking a deal for Beal at the trade deadline.

Horford + prospect(s) + multiple firsts for Beal would be a valid trade, salary-wise.

Alternatively, I could see us striking a deal for Siakam. It's possible that he'll become available now that the Raps drafted Scottie Barnes. I'd also love us to go after Ben Simmons. In fact, he'd be my #1 target, but I fully understand he's a polarizing player.

I think the Celtics and Knicks are tier 3 teams. Knicks because I need to see them prove they can replicate what they did last year. 

But as far as we go, I just don't think we have the same talent level as Miami, Atlanta or even Chicago now. Yes, we have the Jays. And I'll say we can count Marcus to some extent even though his defense regressed last year. Everything after that is a question mark. What does Al have left in the tank? Can Josh have a bounce back season? Can Timelord stay healthy? Can one of the kids take a leap? What happens when Marcus gets his annual injury and misses 10-20 games? Oh and how is this all going to work under a rookie head coach?

A lot is going to have to break right for us to avoid the play in again.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2021, 08:39:26 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I am not worried about the Celtics.  Right now they are incomplete in regards to competing for a title but we are also not that far away.  Tatum and Brown form a very solid core or foundation.  Right now, we don't have much beyond that but these guys are young, we can build around them.  Teams win titles with 30'ish year old stars, not stars in their early 20s.

I am getting the feeling that the mission for the Celtics has changed a little.  It seems to me they are a little more resigned to a need for some small steps back in order to set up for some bigger steps forward.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  I don't feel that these small steps back are going to hurt the team all that much in the short term and it sets us up to be that much better in the medium or long term.

I fee like we are a good PF away from being a really good team.  It will be tough to get better than Brooklyn or MIL in the short term but things happen.