Author Topic: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season  (Read 27216 times)

Re: Celtics Depth Chart 2021-2022 season
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2021, 10:48:21 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
That is one awful looking depth chart
Definitely a sub .500 one.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 11:00:15 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Realist post…refreshing!! When do you reckon they should start looking for a championship?

How old were LeBron and/or MJ when they won their first titles? Or Giannis more recently? Like 26? So in two to three years, assuming Brad (or whoever) puts a complete roster together, I think Tatum could be the lead scorer on a championship team. Until then we need to enjoy seeing some of our binkies develop.

But I really do believe we will be a playoff team easily. And my personal prediction is we have a shot at a Top 4 seed because I think Tatum and Brown keep getting better.

Lebron and MJ were both 27 when they won their first championship. I believe Bird was that same age as well when he won his first ring.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 11:04:09 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
I’m disappointed that the C’s were not able to retain Fournier, but overall I’m OK with the depth chart, minus the PF position. Hopefully Jabari Parker is able to give the C’s a solid 10-15 minutes per game and I wouldn’t mind bringing Semi back at the league minimum. Need a third string C, though. Not sure who is left at this point.

Smart-Pritchard-Dunn
Richardson-Nesmith-Dunn
Brown-Langford-Semi
Tatum-Parker-Semi/Grant
Horford-Timelord-???

Looks about right, tough I would have Semi above Langford in that rotation since Langford will probably be out of the NBA in 2 years IMHO.

That's a truly terrifyingly bad roster.  May as well salary dump smart at this point and let Pritchard develop.  That roster is not making it past the first round.

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 11:05:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This has gotta be a bridge year so enjoy JT and JB blossoming before your eyes. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’re renouncing Smart by year end and PBS is going all-in on somebody.

A question to the cap experts: can we generate enough to sign a max FA next offseason? If so, who needs to go? I assume that list starts with Smart and Grant Williams lol
They can but they need to renounce basically all their FAs, and trade. Pretty much the rest of the roster outside of JT and JB.
I think it quite possible the Celtics could retain Timelord, Nesmith, Langford and Pritchard, the four main young guys they should be putting an emphasis on developing this year. That's a good group to start surrounding three stars with.....if they develop. If they do, then putting some good inexpensive vets around them will work well for 2022-23 and beyond, the title contending years.

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 11:43:19 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Confident we can dump Langford too.  Really no need for a third prospect if we already have Nesmith and Pritchard, and he seems to be by far the last likely of the three to be of actual use.

If we need all the cap space no need to hang on to him IMHO.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 11:44:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Realist post…refreshing!! When do you reckon they should start looking for a championship?

How old were LeBron and/or MJ when they won their first titles? Or Giannis more recently? Like 26? So in two to three years, assuming Brad (or whoever) puts a complete roster together, I think Tatum could be the lead scorer on a championship team. Until then we need to enjoy seeing some of our binkies develop.

But I really do believe we will be a playoff team easily. And my personal prediction is we have a shot at a Top 4 seed because I think Tatum and Brown keep getting better.

Lebron and MJ were both 27 when they won their first championship. I believe Bird was that same age as well when he won his first ring.
Larry won at 24, as a sophomore
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 11:56:01 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Good call. For some reason I thought he won his first in 83’/84. Wish I was around to see those teams.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 11:58:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

And Magic at 20. They really were special, leading their teams to titles so young. They revolutionized the game into what it is today. That's probably the reason I will most likely never have either out of my top 6 players ever. They changed the game.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2021, 12:07:12 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

And Magic at 20. They really were special, leading their teams to titles so young. They revolutionized the game into what it is today. That's probably the reason I will most likely never have either out of my top 6 players ever. They changed the game.

It is incredible. Also have Kobe at 21, Duncan 23. Seems like the majority of superstars get their first championship in the 27-32 age range, though.

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2021, 12:08:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I was always more impressed by Larry, given he turned us around when we were in a bad bad way, and Magic had Kareem, but nonetheless they both equally saved the NBA. They walked so Michael Jordan could run
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2021, 04:52:58 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

It's not October yet boys!! We will get better.

That’s what you always say… wait for October..wait for December..wait for all-star game… wait for trade deadline..wait for playoffs…rinse and repeat the waits.

I guess I'm not expecting a championship next year when our best players are 23 and 24. So setting us up for success two to four years from now seems fine with me.

Also they will improve the roster despite my pollyannish outlook...!

If that's the case, then WHY have we been trading first round picks away? Who cares about an injury prone Kemba Walker if his contract expires within two years anyway?

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2021, 07:12:01 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Maybe sign Reggie Jackson with the exception. He would come here if he is the starting PG?

Jackson  Pritchard/Dunn
Brown    (Jackson)
Tatum  Jackson  Nesmith
Collins   (Tatum)
Horford  TimeLord   Fernando
LOL, no Smart.  Sorry you can't get rid of him that easily!  Oh wait, I see you've traded him for John Collins.  OK.

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2021, 07:22:20 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282

It's not October yet boys!! We will get better.

That’s what you always say… wait for October..wait for December..wait for all-star game… wait for trade deadline..wait for playoffs…rinse and repeat the waits.

I guess I'm not expecting a championship next year when our best players are 23 and 24. So setting us up for success two to four years from now seems fine with me.

Also they will improve the roster despite my pollyannish outlook...!

If that's the case, then WHY have we been trading first round picks away? Who cares about an injury prone Kemba Walker if his contract expires within two years anyway?

Because no one believe more in his players to overachieve more than PBS :) I agree with you Moody (if we had met go last matches) or Sengun or Jones could have been usefull for the future. Finally unlike we most said we needed more rookies contract.

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2021, 07:35:26 AM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125

That Lakers team was led by Abdul-Jabbar, not Magic. And even if you’d insist that Bird was the best player on that ‘81 team, remember that Cedric Maxwell was finals MVP.

The Celtics are looking to complement their two stars with a third star. When you accept that, it’s easier to understand all of these intermittent moves.

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That Lakers team was led by Abdul-Jabbar, not Magic. And even if you’d insist that Bird was the best player on that ‘81 team, remember that Cedric Maxwell was finals MVP.

The Celtics are looking to complement their two stars with a third star. When you accept that, it’s easier to understand all of these intermittent moves.
They've tried to do that and failed multiple times for various reasons --- (younger) Horford, Irving, Hayward, Walker.  I agree they are clearly trying again but banking entirely on a 2022 FA coming here.  I think what yesterday showed is that that FA class will be a lot smaller than we thought.