Author Topic: The cost of max cap room  (Read 8324 times)

Re: The cost of max cap room
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2021, 08:43:07 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I don't think all these moves are all about creating max contract space next offseason like everyone is raving.  I think it's just about staying flexible and not giving out bad, long-term contracts.  I see nothing in the moves made so far that don't simply indicate:
  • Brad wasn't crazy about Fournier and didn't think he was worth competing with the contract NYK was offering
  • We will go ahead and resign Marcus and Timelord next offseason if they can be retained at fair contracts
  • One year contracts are nice to have when you're unsure of a player's fit or long-term status here

If so why not try to improve the roster? Maybe I'm wrong but every move looks to stay under the tax this year and have, the potential, to have cap money next year.

Wait, who says he isn't trying to improve the roster?  We added Josh Richardson using a trade exception.  Trading Kemba for Horford could be an improvement.  He traded TT for Dunn which could be an improvement. 

Free agency just started less than 48 hours ago, where our only signing options are to resign Evan Fournier (see bullet #1) or to use the MLE and BAE.  Maybe he's being patient with the MLE money.  There are still lots of free agents out there like Dinwiddie, Danny Green, Lauri Markannen, Reggie Jackson, Oladipo, Josh Hart, Iguodala, Winslow, Redick, Wes Matthews, Millsap that maybe Brad has to wait a little while on before he can get them to agree to a contract that he thinks is a good value with the little money we have available to us to spend.  Handing a guy like Kelly Olynyk 3 years $37M to "improve the roster" is not the kind of move I've been looking to see in the last 48 hours.

I’ll bet you 1,000 TPs that the Celts don’t sign any free agent for multiple years.  Flexibility.

Hi Roy!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2021, 08:48:33 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't think all these moves are all about creating max contract space next offseason like everyone is raving.  I think it's just about staying flexible and not giving out bad, long-term contracts.  I see nothing in the moves made so far that don't simply indicate:
  • Brad wasn't crazy about Fournier and didn't think he was worth competing with the contract NYK was offering
  • We will go ahead and resign Marcus and Timelord next offseason if they can be retained at fair contracts
  • One year contracts are nice to have when you're unsure of a player's fit or long-term status here

If so why not try to improve the roster? Maybe I'm wrong but every move looks to stay under the tax this year and have, the potential, to have cap money next year.

Wait, who says he isn't trying to improve the roster?  We added Josh Richardson using a trade exception.  Trading Kemba for Horford could be an improvement.  He traded TT for Dunn which could be an improvement. 

Free agency just started less than 48 hours ago, where our only signing options are to resign Evan Fournier (see bullet #1) or to use the MLE and BAE.  Maybe he's being patient with the MLE money.  There are still lots of free agents out there like Dinwiddie, Danny Green, Lauri Markannen, Reggie Jackson, Oladipo, Josh Hart, Iguodala, Winslow, Redick, Wes Matthews, Millsap that maybe Brad has to wait a little while on before he can get them to agree to a contract that he thinks is a good value with the little money we have available to us to spend.  Handing a guy like Kelly Olynyk 3 years $37M to "improve the roster" is not the kind of move I've been looking to see in the last 48 hours.

I’ll bet you 1,000 TPs that the Celts don’t sign any free agent for multiple years.  Flexibility.

Hi Roy!

Hahaha ….where is Roy going to get the TPs from…..action781 just got rich…you should give everyone TPs..lol

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Hi Roy!

Which free agent did we sign for multiple years?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2021, 08:54:10 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Hi Roy!

Hahaha ….where is Roy going to get the TPs from…..action781 just got rich…you should give everyone TPs..lol

I'm not here for the TPs, just to gloat.  :P  And if Roy is smart, which we know he is, I can count at least 2 outs for him here.  Edit:  One of which he's already used!
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2021, 09:00:06 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Hi Roy!

Oh oh…but Roy, you don’t have TPs anyway….just saying..lol

« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2021, 03:45:39 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Everyone assumes we are targeting Beal via the 2022 free agency. There's also the possibility we'll go after Beal/Siakam at the trade deadline. As things stand right now, imo neither the Wiz nor the Raps will make the playoffs next season. It's possible that both Beal and Siakam will be available at the trade deadline.

Horford + prospect(s) + multiple future firsts is enough salary to net us either Beal or Siakam.

Alternatively, we can go after Beal via a sign and trade.
Brown-Tatum-Siakam is a fearsome trio. Long, rangy athletes with very different offensive skill-sets

I think Siakam as a #3 would be great.  His contract is a bit bloated (33m-35m-37m), but the on court fit seems really good.

« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2021, 03:47:17 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Hi Roy!

Did I miss something? Or are they referring to Smartacus?
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D