Author Topic: Nesmith is Buddy Hield 2.0  (Read 4296 times)

Re: Nesmith is Buddy Hield 2.0
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 12:15:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Nesmith is more like Mikael Bridges

Middleton is the end goal

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2021, 12:34:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

If Nesmith can reach Middleton's level on offensive skill, he will be overall significantly better than Middleton. Nesmith is already a better defender, and he has a higher motor. Nesmith's problem is he still runs around constantly like a chicken with his head cut off at times. As the game slows down for him more, he will get better and better.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2021, 12:40:58 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1806

If Nesmith can reach Middleton's level on offensive skill, he will be overall significantly better than Middleton. Nesmith is already a better defender, and he has a higher motor. Nesmith's problem is he still runs around constantly like a chicken with his head cut off at times. As the game slows down for him more, he will get better and better.

Well the old timer just turned 21 today.  I see a bright future for Nessie and I hope it is with the Celtics.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2021, 01:03:21 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I don't know if we're overrating Nesmith or underrating Middleton here. If Nesmith can be as good as him offensively, that'd be amazing but he's years away from getting there. Middleton isn't just a shooter - he can create his own shot, run the pick & roll, and create for others. Does he have an off game every now and then? Yes, but in his last few seasons he's flirted with 50/40/90 efficiency.

Can Nesmith become that? Maybe. Hopefully. But let's just let him show he can be a consistent role player first.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 01:17:08 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2021, 01:13:26 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
I think Nesmith is a better defender. He's impactful on both ends of the floor.

Just wondering, what makes you think he’s a better defender? The SL games I’ve watch, he seems to always be out of position, rushing at guys who than blow past him. And these are SL players. Max was going on about how he has to improve on that end of the court.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the kids game and he flies around on the court. I think he’s going to be an excellent player down the road, but I don’t see the good defender thing.

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2021, 01:32:03 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Nesmith's Vandy stats

Senior year (14 games)
MPG - 31.7
FGA - 50%
3PT - 60 for 115 (52.2%)
FT - 52 of 63 (82.5%)
stl 1.4
TOV 1.7

Last season he hustled his way to minutes and finished the last 12 games at"

MPG 19.5
3PT - 15 of 34  (44.3%)
TReb - 52 rebounds (4.3/game)

He has a solid "fighter's" attitude on the court and no, his defense is not brilliant, but, everyone gives the "effort guy" a break don't they?

He is frequently caught drifting towards the rim on the defensive end  leaving his perimeter man open. He then bursts out to make up for the mistake.

His arc from freshman year at Vandy to today is remarkable. He's going to improve on defense and frankly, his offense looks good enough for him to get some starting minutes and mid twenties anyway this season off the bench.

Nesmith could be a very successful mid round draft pick for Ainge. I think he was due for one.

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2021, 02:10:56 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
J.J. Redick with better size, athleticism and defense is what I’m hoping for.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2021, 02:48:07 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Nesmith is a terrible defender (Buddy Hield level) and I believe Middleton is considered good.  Comment not rooted in reality at all.

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2021, 04:16:26 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Nesmith is a terrible defender (Buddy Hield level) and I believe Middleton is considered good.  Comment not rooted in reality at all.
Nesmith is making 2 easily correctable mistakes on defense:
1) Lateral quickness - He just needs to work on it
2) Going for upfakes - A common rookie mistake
He is athletic enough to be a good defender, just needs to get smarter and work on those things.

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2021, 05:02:27 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think one of the keys is his body position and it looks a little improved.  Last year, he bent so much at the waist which leaves you off balance, when one should bend at the knees.   I 'd seen him revert a few times to the waist bending but he is bending his knees more which should help him a lot of D, in terms of his explosion and more importantly his balance.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2021, 05:26:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Nesmith is making 2 easily correctable mistakes on defense:
1) Lateral quickness - He just needs to work on it
2) Going for upfakes - A common rookie mistake
He is athletic enough to be a good defender, just needs to get smarter and work on those things.
Lateral quickness more like a fatal flaw than an easily correctable issue

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2021, 05:27:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Nesmith is a better 3 point shooter than Bridges, but significantly worse from 2 (as of right now). Their three point attempt rate (60.7 for Nesmith, 47.9 for Bridges) shows how different on offence they are. I like the Klay Thompson one as a high-end comparison, but Klay is a better passer and defender whereas Nesmith is a better rebounder. Klay got minutes pumped into him early though.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2021, 05:32:58 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Nesmith is a better 3 point shooter than Bridges, but significantly worse from 2 (as of right now). Their three point attempt rate (60.7 for Nesmith, 47.9 for Bridges) shows how different on offence they are. I like the Klay Thompson one as a high-end comparison, but Klay is a better passer and defender whereas Nesmith is a better rebounder. Klay got minutes pumped into him early though.

Mikal Bridges shot 42.5% on 3x the attempts compared to Nesmith’s 37%.  Not quite sure where you’re getting Nesmith is the better shooter from.  Maybe Miles Bridges (although he also shot 40% from 3 but it was a big jump from 33% the year prior) is who you were thinking of?

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2021, 05:36:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Mikal Bridges shot 42.5% on 3x the attempts compared to Nesmith’s 37%.  Not quite sure where you’re getting Nesmith is the better shooter from.  Maybe Miles Bridges (although he also shot 40% from 3 but it was a big jump from 33% the year prior) is who you were thinking of?
D'oh, on BBref I did not make sure to click on the right Bridges.

At least at the same age Nesmith is a significantly better shooter than both ;D
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2021, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
If Nesmith turns into Hield, he was a really good pick.