Author Topic: Conspiracy Theory: L.A Lakers Screwjob  (Read 2687 times)

Conspiracy Theory: L.A Lakers Screwjob
« on: July 24, 2021, 11:45:22 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
A recent conspiracy theory (truth) has come to me.

What if then NBA Commissioner David Stern vetoed a three-team trade in 2011 that would have sent Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers...for revenge of the Gasol - Lakers trade debacle.

In 2008, the Lakers sent; Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, the draft rights to Marc Gasol and two first-round picks to the Grizzlies in exchange for Pau Gasol and a second-round pick.

Every other GM was furious, not only was it an pathetic return for a prime, future Hall-of-Famer, but no other team was even made aware that Gasol was on the trade block. So if you're Memphis, why make a terrible trade? Why not gauge the league first? The reason...Michael Heisley!

Heisley was the original Grizzlies owner that back in 2001 who publicly stated the Vancouver Grizzles would not be moving...then moved the team (for short term money). Even in Memphis, the owners time was marred by his penny pinching (he fired all team college scouts in 09).

What if the Lakers gave Michael Heisley, a massive illegal cash payment under the table for Pau Gasol... and the trade package was the cover. Remember Marc was just a overweight, end of the second round throw in at the time.

I propose that David Stern heard rumours about the violation but couldn't prove anything, so for the integrity of the NBA...it was swept under the rug.

I know this sounds crazy...but it's all too... 'convenient'.

But how did the Lakers know Heisley would be prone to such a bribe? Someone who had recently retired as the Grizzlies GM in 2007...Jerry West!

We all know Kobe Bryant was going to force his way out if that trade hadn't taken place.

* Just a bit of fun obviously
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 01:09:19 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Conspiracy Theory: L.A Lakers Screwjob
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 01:10:35 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Sigh. The Pau Gasol Memphis shenanigan wouldn't have been hyped up if KG wasn't hurt in 2009 and Perkins didn't go down in 2010.

Tho I'm glad Stern vetoed the CP3 to Lakers trade. They would have been stacked.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 01:30:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
LAL receives: Chris Paul

HOU receives: Pau Gasol

NO receives: Odom, Scola, Martin, Dragic, #1

===================

LAC receives: Chris Paul

NO receives: Al-Farouq Aminu, Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, 2012 1st  (Austin Rivers)

===================

Even with two bites at the apple New Orleans got nothing that amounted to much.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 02:31:06 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
A recent conspiracy theory (truth) has come to me.

What if then NBA Commissioner David Stern vetoed a three-team trade in 2011 that would have sent Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers...for revenge of the Gasol - Lakers trade debacle.

In 2008, the Lakers sent; Kwame Brown, Javaris Crittenton, Aaron McKie, the draft rights to Marc Gasol and two first-round picks to the Grizzlies in exchange for Pau Gasol and a second-round pick.

Every other GM was furious, not only was it an pathetic return for a prime, future Hall-of-Famer, but no other team was even made aware that Gasol was on the trade block. So if you're Memphis, why make a terrible trade? Why not gauge the league first? The reason...Michael Heisley!

Heisley was the original Grizzlies owner that back in 2001 who publicly stated the Vancouver Grizzles would not be moving...then moved the team (for short term money). Even in Memphis, the owners time was marred by his penny pinching (he fired all team college scouts in 09).

What if the Lakers gave Michael Heisley, a massive illegal cash payment under the table for Pau Gasol... and the trade package was the cover. Remember Marc was just a overweight, end of the second round throw in at the time.

I propose that David Stern heard rumours about the violation but couldn't prove anything, so for the integrity of the NBA...it was swept under the rug.

I know this sounds crazy...but it's all too... 'convenient'.

But how did the Lakers know Heisley would be prone to such a bribe? Someone who had recently retired as the Grizzlies GM in 2007...Jerry West!

We all know Kobe Bryant was going to force his way out if that trade hadn't taken place.

* Just a bit of fun obviously

EVERYBODY knew that the Pau Gasol trade to the Lakers was fishy at best...Jerry West had something to do with it...Funny, cause I was in Vegas for the summer league back then, I saw NEW Memphis GM Chris Wallace stuffing his fat face at the food stand--I said to him: "Now all you have to do is trade Pau Gasol to Boston"...he said to me: "I wanna keep my job"....this was after we had traded for Ray Allen, but had not gotten KG yet.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2021, 07:54:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Are we implying a Lakers cheating conspiracy  ;D

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2021, 09:21:58 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

===================

NO receives: Al-Farouq Aminu, Eric Gordon, Chris Kaman, 2012 1st  (Austin Rivers)

===================

Can't think of many win-win trades involving a star player tbh. First one that comes to mind is the PG13 for Dipo+Sabonis trade. Dipo made 2 all-star games prior to the injury. Sabonis also became a 2-time all-star. Another one might be the Gasol brothers trade, although it was considered highway robbery at the time. That's all I got.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 09:27:58 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2021, 10:14:44 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

===================

===================

Can't think of many win-win trades involving a star player tbh. First one that comes to mind is the PG13 for Dipo+Sabonis trade. Dipo made 2 all-star games prior to the injury. Sabonis also became a 2-time all-star. Another one might be the Gasol brothers trade, although it was considered highway robbery at the time. That's all I got.

Maybe the Denver/NYK Melo trade. Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round pick, and a 2016 pick swap is a pretty great haul for a player that you already know is gonna leave.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2021, 10:16:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
People cast the same doubt about the KG to Boston trade, saying McHale dealt him to his Buddy Ainge despite a better trade package allegedly offered by Lakers.

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Like LA has never done sneaky things.  They're the kings of stealing and luring people's talent.

We need to take away those titles they won in Minny that would take away five those titles should have stayed in MN.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2021, 11:49:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
People cast the same doubt about the KG to Boston trade, saying McHale dealt him to his Buddy Ainge despite a better trade package allegedly offered by Lakers.

What was the better package?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2021, 04:04:55 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
EVERYBODY knew that the Pau Gasol trade to the Lakers was fishy at best...Jerry West had something to do with it...Funny, cause I was in Vegas for the summer league back then, I saw NEW Memphis GM Chris Wallace stuffing his fat face at the food stand--I said to him: "Now all you have to do is trade Pau Gasol to Boston"...he said to me: "I wanna keep my job"....this was after we had traded for Ray Allen, but had not gotten KG yet.

Wasn’t Chris Wallace the Celtics GM that essentially gave away rookie Joe Johnson to the Suns?
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2021, 06:43:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

===================

===================

Maybe the Denver/NYK Melo trade. Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov, a 2014 first-round pick, and a 2016 pick swap is a pretty great haul for a player that you already know is gonna leave.
Anthony Davis trade? He was going to walk, instead they got Ingram, Ball, Hart and a handful of picks. Ingram is a legit borderline All-Star #2 option
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2021, 08:17:00 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Wasn’t Chris Wallace the Celtics GM that essentially gave away rookie Joe Johnson to the Suns?

Yes he was an absolute joke on a GM.

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2021, 09:41:22 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Wallace wanted Marc Gasol badly and knew exactly what he could be when they made that trade.  Probably should have held our for another future 1st, but he wanted Marc and that seemed to work out pretty well.  Crittenton obviously busted out, but he was a rookie as the 19th pick in the draft.  They also got a ton of cap flexibility which they actually used correctly.

So they got a future HOF center, a rookie mid-1st round pick, and 2 future 1st round picks.  So taking Marc out of it, Memphis got a ton of cap space and essentially 3 1st round picks for an unhappy very good, but not great player.  That isn't a terrible trade on its face.  They ended up using the cap space on Zach Randolph in the summer of 2010 and Marc obviously worked out incredibly well.

I'm not so sure they would have done better than that.

I will say the great what if for me has always been, what might have happened had Boston not made the KG trade and still had the assets from it when Pau was available.  Pau wouldn't have cost as much as KG to acquire.  Could Boston has somehow kept Jefferson and acquired Pau?  That would have been a formidable front line and the Lakers never would have landed Pau (though would have had Marc).    Always one of those what might have happened scenarios.  Again though, Wallace wanted Marc Gasol and wanted him badly as Wallace knew how good he could be (he was in the middle of a MVP season in the Spanish league at age 23). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip