Author Topic: Woj: Carlisle Stepping Down as Mavs coach  (Read 5579 times)

Re: Woj: Carlisle Stepping Down as Mavs coach
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2021, 09:04:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Here's what needs to happen:

Brad Stevens to Dallas as Head Coach....Kemba to Dallas for Porzingas and a Pick...for letting Brad leave.

Brad would love to coach Luka.

Then we find another GM...and get out of Stevens owed money and Kemba's contract.

Who coaches Boston?

Cassell or Billups

Then we get Sam Presti to come from OKC to be GM

That works for me but Cassell>Billups

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2021, 09:35:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Here's what needs to happen:

Brad Stevens to Dallas as Head Coach....Kemba to Dallas for Porzingas and a Pick...for letting Brad leave.

Brad would love to coach Luka.

Then we find another GM...and get out of Stevens owed money and Kemba's contract.

Who coaches Boston?

Cassell or Billups

Then we get Sam Presti to come from OKC to be GM

After Raptors GM,  Presti is my next choice .

I m still predicting in under 3-4 years Presti and Doc to Boston

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2021, 10:12:05 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
It was time for a change. I think Carlisle is overrated as a coach, honestly. He's solid, but he's also controlling and combative.
lol...who is good enough for y’all, honestly?

There are tons of great candidates out there who are better fits for this team. Aside from his clashing with guys like Kidd, Rondo, and Luka, he tends to play mind games with his players. Look at how he handled Collison and DSJ - it's one thing to not believe a player may not be a star, but it's still his job to coach them and instill confidence, not break it. We're one of the youngest teams in the league, we need a coach who can come in and connect with players and help them develop.

Rick would be a far better fit with a team of veterans who have been around for awhile and know who they are as players.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 10:36:35 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It was time for a change. I think Carlisle is overrated as a coach, honestly. He's solid, but he's also controlling and combative.

There are tons of great candidates out there who are better fits for this team. Aside from his clashing with guys like Kidd, Rondo, and Luka, he tends to play mind games with his players. Look at how he handled Collison and DSJ - it's one thing to not believe a player may not be a star, but it's still his job to coach them and instill confidence, not break it. We're one of the youngest teams in the league, we need a coach who can come in and connect with players and help them develop.

Rick would be a far better fit with a team of veterans who have been around for awhile and know who they are as players.

Excellent points.

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2021, 12:07:31 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

Sorry but I’m not aware of when Carlisle has ever clashed with Kidd or Collison? Rondo at that time was impossible to manage just ask Stevens and player favourite Doc Rivers. Dennis Smith Jr (DSJ) had attitude issues in college (why he fell NBA draft) and has continued with issues at the Knicks. As for Luka, no one has yet given legitimate reports of any issues he had with Rick, from what I can gather Cuban has fired Donny Nelson on the advice of Bill Simmons smug friend Haralabos Voulgaris and because of that, Carlisle has quit.
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2021, 02:58:49 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

I disagree.

When it comes to coaches that are good at developing young prospects, I would argue that Brad Stevens is one of the best there is - yet it seemed pretty clear to me this season that the most impactful players on this roster (Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart) have developed well beyond the point where a development coach like Brad is able to bring the best out of them. 

Tatum and Brown are stars now - they have the skill set and the ego go with it.  This team has made the ECF something like 3 times in the last 4-5 years.  We don't need friendly development coach, we need a veteran coach with NBA finals experience who has been to the promised land and knows what it takes to get there.  We need a coach who has some balls who will hold players accountable when they arne't playing the right way and aren't pulling their weight.  The type of guy who these young guys have to listen to, because he's already been to the place where they want to go. 

I'm tired of watching nice, polite, soft-spoken Brad sitting calmly on the bench whispering sweet nothings to the players while they are complaining to officials instead of getting back on defence, throwing up contested threes instead of moving the ball, losing by 25 points to bottom 5 teams. 

These young, unproven coaches like Billups have potential, but we don't need a coach with potential.  We need a coach with a proven track record who has demonstrated that they can get things done.  Doesn't need to be Carlisle necessarily, but I would much prefer him (or even Stan Van Gundy) over any of these young inexperienced coaches with on track record.

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2021, 04:31:37 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

I disagree.

When it comes to coaches that are good at developing young prospects, I would argue that Brad Stevens is one of the best there is - yet it seemed pretty clear to me this season that the most impactful players on this roster (Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart) have developed well beyond the point where a development coach like Brad is able to bring the best out of them. 

Tatum and Brown are stars now - they have the skill set and the ego go with it.  This team has made the ECF something like 3 times in the last 4-5 years.  We don't need friendly development coach, we need a veteran coach with NBA finals experience who has been to the promised land and knows what it takes to get there.  We need a coach who has some balls who will hold players accountable when they arne't playing the right way and aren't pulling their weight.  The type of guy who these young guys have to listen to, because he's already been to the place where they want to go. 

I'm tired of watching nice, polite, soft-spoken Brad sitting calmly on the bench whispering sweet nothings to the players while they are complaining to officials instead of getting back on defence, throwing up contested threes instead of moving the ball, losing by 25 points to bottom 5 teams. 

These young, unproven coaches like Billups have potential, but we don't need a coach with potential.  We need a coach with a proven track record who has demonstrated that they can get things done.  Doesn't need to be Carlisle necessarily, but I would much prefer him (or even Stan Van Gundy) over any of these young inexperienced coaches with on track record.
Tbf, I'd rather get some new faces like Billups or Cassell. It's not like guys Phil Jackson or Greg Popovich came out of nowhere. They started as assistant coaches

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2021, 06:36:00 AM »

Offline terra haute

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Always liked Carlisle.

He has Boston ties, but he doesn’t check all the boxes.

White with really short hair?

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2021, 07:36:27 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Sorry but I’m not aware of when Carlisle has ever clashed with Kidd or Collison? Rondo at that time was impossible to manage just ask Stevens and player favourite Doc Rivers. Dennis Smith Jr (DSJ) had attitude issues in college (why he fell NBA draft) and has continued with issues at the Knicks. As for Luka, no one has yet given legitimate reports of any issues he had with Rick, from what I can gather Cuban has fired Donny Nelson on the advice of Bill Simmons smug friend Haralabos Voulgaris and because of that, Carlisle has quit.

Rick and Kidd having issues has been reported before.

The conflicts started early.

The friction between Kidd and Carlisle never made SportsCenter, but it was obvious to everyone in the organization.
https://www.espn.com/nba/playoffs/2015/story/_/id/12710897/rick-carlisle-eyes-rajon-rondo-no-jason-kidd

In truth, it was far closer to the difficult dynamic that he’d successfully navigated with then-point guard Jason Kidd en route to winning the franchise’s first and only title in 2011. It took an intervention of sorts to get through that friction back then, when then-Mavericks assistant coaches Tim Grgurich, Dwane Casey and Terry Stotts stepped in to tell Carlisle that he needed to loosen the reins on Kidd.
https://theathletic.com/2649806/2021/06/14/inside-the-mavericks-front-office-mark-cubans-shadow-gm-is-causing-a-rift-with-luka-doncic/

The Collison stuff was less reported, but it was discussed a ton amongst fans of the team and beat writers. Rick went from declaring he was giving him the keys, to benching him in a few weeks.

Carlisle destroyed Collison's confidence
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2014/11/22/7262843/rick-carlisle-point-guard-bad-defense-darren-collison

When asked if Collison thought he had been given a fair shot at the starting point guard spot, he didn't seem convinced: "I don’t think so, and we all know that; my teammates, they feel the same way, everybody feels the same way."
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1430128-darren-collison-reveals-mavericks-chemistry-concerns-in-point-guard-battle
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 08:01:46 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Luka gotta lose his mind now with Nelson & Carlisle gone

Or, maybe he was using the back set of stairs to Cuban's office, ala, Magic.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."