Author Topic: Jackie Mac: ‘Nobody is blameless’  (Read 12180 times)

Re: Jackie Mac: ‘Nobody is blameless’
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2021, 12:31:44 PM »

Online Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171

As for one reason why Stevens might be less at fault for the drop in performance, MacMullan pointed to the free agent departure of Gordon Hayward.

“I’ll say it again, I’ve said it 100 times, everybody seemed so glad that Gordon Hayward was walking out that door,” said MacMullan. “Let me tell you guys, He was the big, strong wing defender that kept this unit humming. He was also the best facilitator on this team that sacrificed shots to make the extra pass last year. I can’t stress enough how bad it was that Gordon Hayward walked away for nothing.”

I didn't really follow the hornets this year, how'd Hayward do in their playoff game?

Reread what Jackie Mac said. She wasn't talking about Gordon Hayward being a #1 option and carrying a team. She was saying that Hayward was perfect for THIS team and was the piece that allowed the rest of the offense to hum. I think she's right.

« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
The big mistake Ainge made with Hayward was not trading him to Indiana. They could have gotten talent for him.  Turner has led the league in blocks this year. Nice complement to Robert W. And he isn't injury prone like Hayward is. Gordon has missed a significant  part of this season in Charlotte with still another injury.

Ainge has a weakness in being unable to pull the trigger on trades that might help the team.  Of course, we don't know what Stevens input is to any deals. He does have a 1/3 say, according to Ainge, and may not want bigs that don't fit into his small ball game.

Jackie Mac? The only thing I can recall about her was she recommended Potopenko when Pitino was running the show. She doesn't do a lot except appear on talk shows these days.

The current generation of NBA media doesn't go back before Michael Jordan. That's when the world started for them.

« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Is Gordon Hayward the most overrated player in the NBA?

Yes, he's dealt with injuries the last 4 years but it feels like everyone is always talking up this guy who, after 11 NBA seasons, has 1 all star appearance, only once averaged more than 20 ppg and has had 1 good playoff series. Everyone wants to talk about his passing like he's a great distributor and I don't see it.

He's a good basketball player but at best, he's a #3 guy on a contender and it seems like people talk about his like a franchise guy.
Where does anyone say he's anything more than a borderline All-Star level player?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2021, 05:37:08 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

Yes, he's dealt with injuries the last 4 years but it feels like everyone is always talking up this guy who, after 11 NBA seasons, has 1 all star appearance, only once averaged more than 20 ppg and has had 1 good playoff series. Everyone wants to talk about his passing like he's a great distributor and I don't see it.

He's a good basketball player but at best, he's a #3 guy on a contender and it seems like people talk about his like a franchise guy.
Where does anyone say he's anything more than a borderline All-Star level player?

I think it's the big contract that makes people think that.

« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Not his fault his agent is a wizard!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2021, 09:52:38 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

Not his fault his agent is a wizard!
And he isn't the only guy with a big contract like that is that is a borderline all star player.  And he is obviously injury prone, but Charlotte was 24-20 with him this year and 9-19 without him.  His on/off differential per 100 possessions was 4.2, which is pretty solid.  Charlotte was quite simply a much better team when he was on the floor than when he was off the floor.  The biggest problem with Hayward has been he just can't stay on the floor. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2021, 10:29:09 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

As for one reason why Stevens might be less at fault for the drop in performance, MacMullan pointed to the free agent departure of Gordon Hayward.

“I’ll say it again, I’ve said it 100 times, everybody seemed so glad that Gordon Hayward was walking out that door,” said MacMullan. “Let me tell you guys, He was the big, strong wing defender that kept this unit humming. He was also the best facilitator on this team that sacrificed shots to make the extra pass last year. I can’t stress enough how bad it was that Gordon Hayward walked away for nothing.”

I didn't really follow the hornets this year, how'd Hayward do in their playoff game?

Reread what Jackie Mac said. She wasn't talking about Gordon Hayward being a #1 option and carrying a team. She was saying that Hayward was perfect for THIS team and was the piece that allowed the rest of the offense to hum. I think she's right.

On paper that makes sense, but he was often injured and the team seemed to do pretty well while he wasn't available. I kept thinking there was so much potential there - but it never was tapped because of the injuries.

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2021, 01:15:18 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

On paper that makes sense, but he was often injured and the team seemed to do pretty well while he wasn't available. I kept thinking there was so much potential there - but it never was tapped because of the injuries.

Nah we were really great when he was healthy last year. Very obvious during the playoffs as well

« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2021, 01:18:56 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Covid has hit us hard.   But we come out flat even before Covid too often ravaged us.   We also had a poor bench prior.   We had several bad signings that hurt us prior to Covid.

Others team not fearing us and seeing us as an easy win might have to do with Covid.  Our guys not playing 100% could be Covid.

If CBS survives I think it will be because of Covid.    But half the team needs to go Covid or not.   THESE GUYS DO NOT DESERVE A RUN IT BACK!

It's fine to complain about things, but we were 7-3 and in 1st place when Covid hit, so that's just making things up.

Ha! Good getting him on his BS.

« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2021, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
  I’d love to hear what Jackie Mac WOULD do. I feel like she gets inside info reports on it well, fairl criticizes usually but that’s easy in hindsight. I wish some of these more local basketball minds would put THEIR ideas out there. I’d be curious what they’d do next with this team.