Author Topic: Rebuild idea  (Read 1992 times)

Rebuild idea
« on: May 27, 2021, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Boston is at a critical point this summer.  It needs to really pick a direction and do some drastic things.

To be clear, I don't think this will happen, but I do believe in a vacuum the trades are at least fairly reasonable. And I don't know that this will make Boston a contender, but I do think it would set the team up better in the future.  There are plenty of possibly variations of this of course.

Trade 1
Boston - Love, Sexton
New York - Walker
Cleveland - Knox, Langford, Edwards, NY 21 1st

Trade 2
Boston - Morris, DEN 21 1st
Denver - Smart

Trade 3
Boston - Kuzma
Los Angeles - Thompson, G. Williams

Re-sign Fournier

New Roster excluding draft picks and free agents or Semi or Kornet (4 open roster spots)

PG - Sexton, Morris, Pritchard
SG - Brown, Fournier
SF - Tatum, Nesmith
PF - Love, Kuzma, Parker
C - R. Williams

Obviously team needs more center help, but I think this team is set up better long term and probably functions a bit better on the court next year as well.  You take on Love to get Sexton, but Love can still play when he is actually healthy enough to. I think having a look at Sexton and adding a solid 4th option type in Kuzma makes a lot of sense.  Morris is a credible guard and you get another 1st (plus shaves some money) in the trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Rebuild idea
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Boston is at a critical point this summer.  It needs to really pick a direction and do some drastic things.

To be clear, I don't think this will happen, but I do believe in a vacuum the trades are at least fairly reasonable. And I don't know that this will make Boston a contender, but I do think it would set the team up better in the future.  There are plenty of possibly variations of this of course.

Trade 1
Boston - Love, Sexton
New York - Walker

Trade 2
Denver - Smart

Trade 3
Boston - Kuzma

Re-sign Fournier

New Roster excluding draft picks and free agents or Semi or Kornet (4 open roster spots)

SG - Brown, Fournier
SF - Tatum, Nesmith
PF - Love, Kuzma, Parker
C - R. Williams

Obviously team needs more center help, but I think this team is set up better long term and probably functions a bit better on the court next year as well.  You take on Love to get Sexton, but Love can still play when he is actually healthy enough to. I think having a look at Sexton and adding a solid 4th option type in Kuzma makes a lot of sense.  Morris is a credible guard and you get another 1st (plus shaves some money) in the trade.

These are good ideas. But I'm skeptical we could pry Sexton from Cleveland with that offer.  Does Cleveland view Garland as capable of replacing Sexton? 

Are you undervaluing Smart trade value?

Think the Laker trade idea is clever.  Lebron would probably be very keen to bring TT back.

I would be quite happy with these changes in off season.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 10:21:07 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Brad can’t do anything significant with star players.  So either get a new coach or get a new roster.  That’s the gist of the solution and 7 years of proof shows that.

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 10:24:30 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Don’t think Love can play a whole season anymore & need a Center..Williams just can’t  be depend on with injuries & inconsistent play
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 11:00:20 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would do each of those trades.

But, the Cleveland one doesn't make a ton of sense for me.  Is dumping Love and adding a NYK #1 a fair return for a third year guy averaging 24ppg?  I don't know, to get out of $60 million in dead money, maybe it is.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 11:10:07 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

But, the Cleveland one doesn't make a ton of sense for me.  Is dumping Love and adding a NYK #1 a fair return for a third year guy averaging 24ppg?  I don't know, to get out of $60 million in dead money, maybe it is.
My thoughts,
Trade Sexton for that? Wait get rid of Love for that!

It would be a hilarious turn around Sexton out, Irving in. Irving out, Kemba in. Kemba out, Sexton in.
Then there's the whole we should trade for Love for 8 years to now becoming we have to take Love.

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 11:10:11 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Walker for Satoransky, Young and Aminu

Smart and a 1st for Orlando pick - Scottie Barnes

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 11:32:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

There are a lot of rumors about Cleveland not wanting to pay Sexton 100+ million (especially as they are about to write a 100 million+ check to Allen) as well as him not being well liked in the locker-room.  He also is not a good defender and Garland seems like a better pure PG going forward.  So they probably need to decide between the two and Sexton comes due for a new contract sooner.  By doing that trade, they get entirely out of Love and his big contract, get the 21st pick in the draft, and Knox and Langford, both of which have showed some promise but haven't put it all together (plus an end of the bench contract filler in Edwards).  I think all things considered that is a fairly reasonable deal for Cleveland given the massive financial savings and the 3 young players, one of which they get to pick. 

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 11:45:54 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I have also been thinking lately about a way out of the current situation.

These ideas are interesting, and I pretty quickly came around to doing them. That probably means we don't give up enough haha. Picking up Sexton and Love without losing future 1sts would be a coup. Also taking a flyer on Kuz while punting TT and Williams seems like a no brainer.

Sign me up if we can get the other offices to say yes.
#JKJB

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

There are a lot of rumors about Cleveland not wanting to pay Sexton 100+ million (especially as they are about to write a 100 million+ check to Allen) as well as him not being well liked in the locker-room.  He also is not a good defender and Garland seems like a better pure PG going forward.  So they probably need to decide between the two and Sexton comes due for a new contract sooner.  By doing that trade, they get entirely out of Love and his big contract, get the 21st pick in the draft, and Knox and Langford, both of which have showed some promise but haven't put it all together (plus an end of the bench contract filler in Edwards).  I think all things considered that is a fairly reasonable deal for Cleveland given the massive financial savings and the 3 young players, one of which they get to pick.

Has the irony of getting Sexton back in a trade escaped anyone?  Jeff Green redux.

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 11:58:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Has the irony of getting Sexton back in a trade escaped anyone?  Jeff Green redux.
Not at all, but he is one of the few guys still on a rookie deal that both might be available and could also still end up be at least a very good player.  He seems to be a bit of an inefficient chucker, but he is still young and has improved each season.  I think he may just need a change and going to a team with a much more established hierarchy I think would do him well.  Now that trade might not be enough for Cleveland to pull the trigger, but the thought of clearing Love for no salary back has to be enticing and probably really does set that trade apart from most of the other potential trades out there.  Gilbert has obviously never been afraid to spend money so I don't know that he needs to do it, but even if Love is healthy, he doesn't make sense for Cleveland in their current state anyway.

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 12:15:52 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
My issue is mostly with trade #1. If I were a Knicks fan, I would wonder why I have to give up anything to take on one of the worst contracts in the league? Shouldn't my team be receiving something like the Celtics #1 rather than sending out a #1?

Boston and Cleveland have the two albatross contracts and probably need to construct a trade that leaves out New York.

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 08:25:32 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I'm all aboard the first two trades. Love Monte Morris and think Sexton has good potential under a strong coach. Would be interesting seeing him as the #3 guy.
Hate Kuzma, so don't want him, but from a talent perspective it makes sense.

I reckon a veteran big and a pick spent on a big would be the way to go from there.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2021, 03:37:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
https://fortyeightminutes.com/cavs-koby-altman-amico/

It’s OK that Altman didn’t tip his hand at what offseason moves are being contemplated. It’s probably good that he didn’t say the Cavs will do everything they can to rid themselves of Love and his contract — which they most certainly intend to do.

And it’s good Altman didn’t reveal that he knows in order to move Love, he will likely have to attach a young player or pick. The Cavs are in a pickle, and Love is merely one reason why.

One source on the inside of the Cavs told FortyEightMinutes that the organization is currently “a sh*t show.” I’ve spoken to several players outside of the organization who have expressed similar sentiments.

Altman painted a very different picture. The truth is likely somewhere in between.

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 04:36:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Trade 1
Boston - Love, Sexton
New York - Walker

Trade 2
Denver - Smart

Trade 3
Boston - Kuzma

Re-sign Fournier

SG - Brown, Fournier
SF - Tatum, Nesmith
PF - Love, Kuzma, Parker
C - R. Williams

so you want us to tank apparently based on these deals.  can't get a good pick with Tatum and Brown on the roster so this is just a real non-starter.

just really bad trades -- each one of them.