Author Topic: Should the Celtics target Chris Paul in the offseason?  (Read 1729 times)

Should the Celtics target Chris Paul in the offseason?
« on: May 11, 2021, 01:38:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
There is a good chance Paul will skip his player option for next season and seek one last contract

The way he is still able to produce/leadership has heightened Suns play.... means he is likely in line to demand a 30m plus per year deal.

The problem is that he is 36.  But maybe he is one of those genetic freaks

Paul would be perfect to help with Brown/Tatum development.  He is also a true floor general and able to help "figure it out" ... give Brad a break

If a drastic move is to happen in the upcoming offseason.  Would you be for or against overpaying for Paul?

Re: Should the Celtics target Chris Paul in the offseason?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 01:40:34 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It would have to be a sign-and-trade, which would hard cap us at the apron (the tax line plus a bit over $6 million).  That’s tricky.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It would have to be a sign-and-trade, which would hard cap us at the apron (the tax line plus a bit over $6 million).  That’s tricky.

Other than a sign and trade option

If Kemba was traded for TPE (doesnt mean TPE would be used necessarily to absorb Paul in a deal)

Would that make enough room, just to sign him as a FA?

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 01:46:09 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

If Kemba was traded for TPE (doesnt mean TPE would be used necessarily to absorb Paul ina deal)

Would that make enough room?

Depends what Chris Paul signs for, of course.  He’s scheduled to make $44 million next year, so no chance with that.  He’d probably have to get less than Kemba to fit here, especially if we are hoping to keep Fournier.

You edited your post to also ask about signing outright with cap space.  That is impossible unless we clear out almost the entire roster aside from the J’s and maybe 2-3 young guys, again depending on CP3’s salary.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 01:52:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No. I want fewer players on my team who will have me wondering constantly if they'll be available to play when the games matter. 

Paul has been pretty healthy this season but he's still a 36 year old who is *generously* six feet tall. 

The Celtics need to work on putting together a rotation that is more consistently available and reliable.  Paul is super reliable when he's able to play. I just don't think you can really depend on him to be able to last through a playoff run at age 36 / 37 / 38.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 01:55:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If Kemba was traded for TPE (doesnt mean TPE would be used necessarily to absorb Paul ina deal)

Would that make enough room?

Depends what Chris Paul signs for, of course.  He’s scheduled to make $44 million next year, so no chance with that.  He’d probably have to get less than Kemba to fit here, especially if we are hoping to keep Fournier.

You edited your post to also ask about signing outright with cap space.  That is impossible unless we clear out almost the entire roster aside from the J’s and maybe 2-3 young guys, again depending on CP3’s salary.

Are you saying Paul wouldnt give up 44m vs 3-4 year 100 plus million chance?

Thats also where I was going with this... Jays, CP3... and rest of the lineup other than Nesmith, PP = potential shakeup.  Danny would need to figure a way out to bring in the Jeff Green, Jordans of the world for cheap

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 01:56:04 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

If Kemba was traded for TPE (doesnt mean TPE would be used necessarily to absorb Paul in a deal)

Would that make enough room, just to sign him as a FA?

Taking him into a TPE (traded player exception) would still be sign and trade.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 02:41:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
All these guys either want to live in CA ,  or play on a NY team and still live in CA.

Most have no interest in being anywhere else .

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
If I recall correctly, CP hates Boston.  Highly doubt he'd consider coming here. 

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2021, 03:58:41 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Too old, makes too much money, too much of an injury risk that ruins the team for 2-3 years.

Other than that I like him here.  We need some vets that are respected.

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:14:18 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Pass.. I say he resign with Phoenix or go to Clippers
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 08:27:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
theoretically he could opt into the last year and then get traded.  I believe the new team could then extend him.  I mean that is basically how he ended up in Houston.  So some sort of package centered around Kemba could theoretically be possible.  No idea why Boston would do that though.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip