Author Topic: The NBA Chose money over player health!  (Read 3488 times)

Re: The NBA Chose money over player health!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2021, 09:49:14 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think they should just start the season at Christmas every year and go further into the summer anyway.  Would match up against football less and would have the entirety of the playoffs over the summer, which would be fantastic.
That wouldn't really work due to the olympics.
So.  NBA players in the Olympics isn't necessary any more.  It has lost its appeal and luster, which is why so many of the top NBA players don't bother to play.  And it isn't like most of the guys still couldn't play if they wanted to.  The Olympics have started any where from end of July to mid-September.  If you started the season around Christmas, you'd start the playoffs in mid-June.  By the end of July you'd probably have 2 teams left and by mid-August the season would be done.  So if the Olympics started more towards the end of August, there would be no actual overlap.  And frankly, the NBA Finals would be a fantastic lead up to the Olympics in what is often considered the sports dead period as only baseball is being played. 

I just think it would be better for the game and fans if the season didn't start in October.  A December start makes a lot more sense. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2021, 10:42:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The NBA created a compacted season with a crazy schedule with so many top players injured during the season to maximize profit. Just bad business! One of the reasons was supposedly so players could play in the Olympics but who'll be left or want to play instead of getting the rest they need and deserve!

As others have said the players union was part of the process.

One thing that I have taken away from the bubble and the push for less travel/more rest days is the need for an in season tournament. Setting up two locations (1 west coast and 1 east coast) and having each conference play a tournament before the allstar game would be a great way to get games in while eliminating travel. The lack of travel also gives the teams time to practice something that has been lacking this season. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2021, 12:11:00 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I think they should just start the season at Christmas every year and go further into the summer anyway.  Would match up against football less and would have the entirety of the playoffs over the summer, which would be fantastic.
So.  NBA players in the Olympics isn't necessary any more.  It has lost its appeal and luster, which is why so many of the top NBA players don't bother to play.  And it isn't like most of the guys still couldn't play if they wanted to.  The Olympics have started any where from end of July to mid-September.  If you started the season around Christmas, you'd start the playoffs in mid-June.  By the end of July you'd probably have 2 teams left and by mid-August the season would be done.  So if the Olympics started more towards the end of August, there would be no actual overlap.  And frankly, the NBA Finals would be a fantastic lead up to the Olympics in what is often considered the sports dead period as only baseball is being played. 

I just think it would be better for the game and fans if the season didn't start in October.  A December start makes a lot more sense.
It's not necessary according to who? You? Regardless of what you feel is important or not, I highly doubt the NBA would even want to risk some of their highest view playoff games having to compete with the olympics.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2021, 12:20:16 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

It's not necessary according to who? You? Regardless of what you feel is important or not, I highly doubt the NBA would even want to risk some of their highest view playoff games having to compete with the olympics.

More importantly, the NBA’s TV partners don’t want to compete with the Olympics.

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2021, 12:37:57 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 262
  • International Superstar
In his four best seasons with the Red Sox' Dick Radatz (6'6" - 230 pounds) appeared in 270 games....out of a possible 648.

He pitched 540 innings

He struck out 608 batters (1964 -struck out 181 batters MLB record)

He saved 98 of those games

He didn't pitch in "every other game" but close enough.

The concept of an "iron man" is sports in long gone.

Ripken played in 2632 consecutive games.

Jim Marshal played at defensive end for 282 straight games for the Browns and the Vikings.

In times gone by players of this "type" were highly valued.

Lebron has played in 43 games this season but, in the past has been highly durable.

Russell - career
Regular season 963
Playoffs 165
13 seasons - that is an average of 86.7 games a year

They didn't have the medical technology in the past. Guys played through pain as they were afraid they'd lose their $18,000 a year "job" playing basketball/football/baseball if they took a game off.

It was a different world...it was not "better", just different.

I mean all those guys you listed are extreme outliers...

I know the average NBA career is pegged at 4 and a half years by the conventional wisdom, but you could go through the archives and figure out whether the "iron men" of the nostalgia-sprayed past actually wound up playing for longer than their modern day contemporaries.

This is what I could find on a quick google, but it's about 10 years old at this point (analysis through the '10-'11 season)
https://weaksideawareness.wordpress.com/2011/11/22/average-nba-career-length-for-players-details/

And it would appear, indeed, that the average NBA career would be trending upward.

You could probably have a fun afternoon with Python figuring out whether players are playing more minutes/games by era*, as well.

*You'd have to control for expansion teams, changes to the CBA, and so on, of course.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2021, 12:59:05 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

More importantly, the NBA’s TV partners don’t want to compete with the Olympics.
My point is they wouldn't have to.  The Olympics are most commonly found in August.  The NBA season would be over by then.  That is the point I'm making.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip