Author Topic: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)  (Read 12839 times)

Re: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Parker & Fournier have to step up big time now

Will Jabari even see the court?  I don’t understand why he lost time in the first place.  He was scoring efficiently and the Celtics were generally outscoring opponents while he was in the game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2021, 11:20:45 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Well this takes pressure off the team at least. They'll be seen as no hopers even if they haven't been already. They still have 3 decent players in Tatum, Kemba and Fournier. It's our defense that will miss Jaylen the most I think, along with Timelord. Without a big in the middle it puts huge pressure on our help defense which leaves gaps in the perimeter when we are slow to rotate. But at least now nobody will be expecting them to win. Playing with house money!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2021, 01:29:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Forsberg:

2020-21 Celtics in a snapshot

183 games missed. Add 4 more for Jaylen Brown. Maybe more for Rob.

And now it’s guaranteed: Zero games played with their top 7 available the entire season.
Can't recall a more snake-bitten season
Who are the top 7?  I recall at least a couple of games with Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Thompson, and R. Williams.
I would assume Fournier instead of Theis
It’s Theis then Fournier.

At no point were those 6 and Theis or those 6 and Fournier all available

That’s according to Keith smith
except the 7 I put there all played in at least 2 games.  That is why I asked the question.
Yeah I'm not sure how Keith got that wrong and not sure how other journalists have just parroted it without question. I was skeptical when I saw it at first, but upon seeing other journalists repeat it I assumed it must be correct. Seems like a pretty big detail to just be wrong about.

They all played on January 27th as well as January 30th and March 14th.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2021, 02:10:47 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
With no Brown, we can start Fournier and although Brown is better, it is not a huge downgrade in terms of the starters.  Fournier has been playing well.

The downgrade comes out of our depth.  Fournier was going to play going to play 25-30 min anyway, now he might play 5 min more and get 30-35 min.  The other 30 or so minutes that Brown would have played will have to be made up by Nesmith and Langford off the bench.  That is where we will feel the downgrade.

Our main problem isn't wings though, it is bigs.  For whatever reason, last season we were able to play with Theis along with any combination of Walker, Smart, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward, and play well.  This season, our one big line ups with Walker, Smart, Tatum, Brown, whether the one big is Theis (+13 for season), Williams (+3), or Thompson (-8), are just not as good.  Theis was still our best in the 1 big line up and we traded him away.  And now Williams is banged up.

I just don't know where we go.  We can start Thompson which is fine, not great, but fine enough.  From there we don't really have a PF and we have Kornet as our back up C.  Maybe at this point, you just put Parker out there for 24 min or so and see what we have with him.  I don't think we are going to avoid a play in game in any case and it is going to be tough to win even a play in game at this point.

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2021, 02:26:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
With no Brown, we can start Fournier and although Brown is better, it is not a huge downgrade in terms of the starters.  Fournier has been playing well.

The downgrade comes out of our depth.  Fournier was going to play going to play 25-30 min anyway, now he might play 5 min more and get 30-35 min.  The other 30 or so minutes that Brown would have played will have to be made up by Nesmith and Langford off the bench.  That is where we will feel the downgrade.

Our main problem isn't wings though, it is bigs.  For whatever reason, last season we were able to play with Theis along with any combination of Walker, Smart, Tatum, Brown, and Hayward, and play well.  This season, our one big line ups with Walker, Smart, Tatum, Brown, whether the one big is Theis (+13 for season), Williams (+3), or Thompson (-8), are just not as good.  Theis was still our best in the 1 big line up and we traded him away.  And now Williams is banged up.

I just don't know where we go.  We can start Thompson which is fine, not great, but fine enough.  From there we don't really have a PF and we have Kornet as our back up C.  Maybe at this point, you just put Parker out there for 24 min or so and see what we have with him.  I don't think we are going to avoid a play in game in any case and it is going to be tough to win even a play in game at this point.

TP, that's my line of thinking too. Obviously Jaylen is a better all round player than Fournier but Fournier should be able to make up for a lot of his production on the offensive end at least. Defensively he gives up a lot, if you look at some of the miscommunications on switching that led to easy Miami buckets on Sunday a lot of them involved Fournier not being sure of when to switch and ending up leaving cutters open. He's trying to learn the system as he goes and he was never the greatest defender anyway. BUT he was always expected to come off the bench to strengthen the team when one of our big 3 sits and now he's taking the place of one of them.

But it's the absence of Timelord that's going to hurt us...it forces Kardashian to play 20+ minutes and then we have to play Gwill or Kornet, both of whom are inadequate and get exposed. Gwill for his lack of size, and Kornet for his lack of bulk. You can tell they don't fully trust GWill or Kornet when they are at the 5 because they overhelp on drivers which leaves perimeter shooters open. What we would give for a healthy Theis but I suspect that Wyc and Danny had already given up on the season when they traded him, with an eye to next season.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2021, 02:29:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412

Will Jabari even see the court?  I don’t understand why he lost time in the first place.  He was scoring efficiently and the Celtics were generally outscoring opponents while he was in the game.
I agree.. he look okay out there.. better than anyone on that bench
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

While it true that Fournier will make up a bunch for losing Jaylen out of the starting lineup, but then who makes up for the scoring loss of Fournier coming off the bench as the sixth man?

Either way you look at it, Jaylen is a great loss because you are losing 20+ points.

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2021, 05:03:42 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

TP, that's my line of thinking too. Obviously Jaylen is a better all round player than Fournier but Fournier should be able to make up for a lot of his production on the offensive end at least. Defensively he gives up a lot, if you look at some of the miscommunications on switching that led to easy Miami buckets on Sunday a lot of them involved Fournier not being sure of when to switch and ending up leaving cutters open. He's trying to learn the system as he goes and he was never the greatest defender anyway. BUT he was always expected to come off the bench to strengthen the team when one of our big 3 sits and now he's taking the place of one of them.

But it's the absence of Timelord that's going to hurt us...it forces Kardashian to play 20+ minutes and then we have to play Gwill or Kornet, both of whom are inadequate and get exposed. Gwill for his lack of size, and Kornet for his lack of bulk. You can tell they don't fully trust GWill or Kornet when they are at the 5 because they overhelp on drivers which leaves perimeter shooters open. What we would give for a healthy Theis but I suspect that Wyc and Danny had already given up on the season when they traded him, with an eye to next season.

I'd rather start one of the young wings (Nesmith or Langford, probably Nesmith the way he's been playing lately) and have Fournier off the bench so that our rotation isn't too top-heavy.  Fournier would be in the closing lineup, however.

« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2021, 02:49:35 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This bothers me too. He was giving an efficient 5 points in barely any minutes and was rebounding well, particularly on the offensive end. His defence is bad, yeah, but our defence sucks either way
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2021, 03:29:23 AM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 121

I'd rather start one of the young wings (Nesmith or Langford, probably Nesmith the way he's been playing lately) and have Fournier off the bench so that our rotation isn't too top-heavy.  Fournier would be in the closing lineup, however.

You're kidding right...?

Start Langford?  I'm not sure he's even a surefire starter in the G-League. He's complete rubbish.

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2021, 07:32:04 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
This definitely wasn't our year.  Now without Jaylen, the best approach is to try sneaking into the lottery.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC