Author Topic: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)  (Read 12988 times)

Re: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:12 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Maybe this will force the Celtics to hire a coach that knows how to manage its players and not run them into the ground during garbage times or in back to backs.  Fire brad stevens!
This is a funny criticism. Tatum is 11th in minutes played this season, Brown is 41st. Teams like New York (duh), Portland, Phoenix and Washington have duos with many more minutes played, yet I doubt you’d criticise their coaches for that

What’s funny is stevens mis management of the roster which happens every year.  Jaylen was coming off an injury.  Neither him or Tatum shoulda been playing that late when the game is over or if they’re on recovery of anything.  I don’t concern myself with other teams to make an argument, I go with what,s going on with the Celtics.

« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2021, 10:13:00 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Tatum/Brown/Smart/Walker could very likely be the last time this core played together.

I'd say this injury makes it less likely that a major change is made in the offseason.  They barely played together in a chaotic regular season, with the intent of making it to the postseason.  But since we don't get to see if that strategy worked because of Brown's injury, they might try it again next year in a hopefully more normal year.  If the next 1-2 weeks goes as poorly as some anticipate, the team will get a more normal offseason to boot, in terms of length.

« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2021, 10:15:08 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Maybe this will force the Celtics to hire a coach that knows how to manage its players and not run them into the ground during garbage times or in back to backs.  Fire brad stevens!
This is a funny criticism. Tatum is 11th in minutes played this season, Brown is 41st. Teams like New York (duh), Portland, Phoenix and Washington have duos with many more minutes played, yet I doubt you’d criticise their coaches for that

What’s funny is stevens mis management of the roster which happens every year.  Jaylen was coming off an injury.  Neither him or Tatum shoulda been playing that late when the game is over or any game.  I don’t concern myself with other teams to make an argument, I go with what,s going on with the Celtics.

Not sure what you're talking about, since this injury occurred in mid-April and the organization as a whole, from Ainge down to Jaylen, decided to try to let him play through it for a few weeks before choosing surgery.  It's not even clear what play (at least to the fans) he hurt it on.

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2021, 10:16:16 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Maybe it was a big mistake to lose Gordon Hayward after all. Or not trade him to the Pacers.

Because we could then have a currently injured Gordon Hayward or a currently injured Myles Turner?

« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2021, 10:23:01 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

What’s funny is stevens mis management of the roster which happens every year.  Jaylen was coming off an injury.  Neither him or Tatum shoulda been playing that late when the game is over or any game.  I don’t concern myself with other teams to make an argument, I go with what,s going on with the Celtics.

Not sure what you're talking about, since this injury occurred in mid-April and the organization as a whole, from Ainge down to Jaylen, decided to try to let him play through it for a few weeks before choosing surgery.  It's not even clear what play (at least to the fans) he hurt it on.

So they played him knowing it was weak enough it

Might require surgery? Can’t say that’s well planned either.

« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2021, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Forsberg:

2020-21 Celtics in a snapshot

183 games missed. Add 4 more for Jaylen Brown. Maybe more for Rob.

And now it’s guaranteed: Zero games played with their top 7 available the entire season.
Can't recall a more snake-bitten season
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2021, 10:37:37 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

So they played him knowing it was weak enough it

Might require surgery? Can’t say that’s well planned either.

You’re right, they should have planned to injure him at a different time. ::)

« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2021, 11:04:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Forsberg:

And now it’s guaranteed: Zero games played with their top 7 available the entire season.
Who are the top 7?  I recall at least a couple of games with Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Thompson, and R. Williams. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2021, 11:17:13 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Forsberg:

Who are the top 7?  I recall at least a couple of games with Walker, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Theis, Thompson, and R. Williams.

Obviously Fournier instead of Theis, because that's what the top 7 for the playoffs was intended to be.  To be more accurate he should have said since the trade deadline, but it's still true that Fournier never played with that group all year.

« Reply #84 on: May 11, 2021, 12:01:27 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Apparently this is a pretty serious wrist injury:

https://news.hss.edu/novel-surgery-relieves-pain-and-restores-function-in-patients-with-common-wrist-injury/

It's common, but it also seems to routinely lead to arthritis and other negative symptoms.  Of course, JB isn't a mere mortal like the rest of us, so he'll get whatever is on the cutting edge of techniques.
FWIW I tore the same ligament years ago. My situation was a bit different because when the injury happened it went undiagnosed and then a few years later was confirmed and I had surgery. The results were not as helpful as expected, but I attribute this to numerous factors including the four years that passed between initial injury and surgery as well as pushing things too quickly post surgery and likely hurting recovery. I’m confident with the quick diagnosis and level of therapy and supervision that Jaylen will come back at close to 100%. Especially since it’s his non shooting hand.

« Reply #85 on: May 11, 2021, 12:04:35 AM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
Apparently this is a pretty serious wrist injury:

https://news.hss.edu/novel-surgery-relieves-pain-and-restores-function-in-patients-with-common-wrist-injury/

It's common, but it also seems to routinely lead to arthritis and other negative symptoms.  Of course, JB isn't a mere mortal like the rest of us, so he'll get whatever is on the cutting edge of techniques.
FWIW I tore the same ligament years ago. My situation was a bit different because when the injury happened it went undiagnosed and then a few years later was confirmed and I had surgery. The results were not as helpful as expected, but I attribute this to numerous factors including the four years that passed between initial injury and surgery as well as pushing things too quickly post surgery and likely hurting recovery. I’m confident with the quick diagnosis and level of therapy and supervision that Jaylen will come back at close to 100%. Especially since it’s his non shooting hand.

Edit: also want to add that this was the second traumatic injury to this same wrist. I had broken it 4 years prior to this injury. Hopefully this helps provide some context. But I do think that Jaylen is going to be the same player from before.

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2021, 12:19:14 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Forsberg:

I would assume Fournier instead of Theis
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2021, 01:07:23 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Season done.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2021, 01:21:53 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
this news sucks.  Best to Jaylen for a full recovery by next season, and hopefully a better team next year.

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2021, 01:31:59 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Forsberg:

I would assume Fournier instead of Theis
It’s Theis then Fournier.

At no point were those 6 and Theis or those 6 and Fournier all available

That’s according to Keith smith
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.