Author Topic: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)  (Read 12989 times)

Re: Shams: Jaylen out for Season (Torn Ligament in Wrist)
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2021, 07:17:31 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Rest everybody.  Season is over.

Eh. I'm sure I'm going to get killed for saying this, but I don't feel like losing Jaylen is a huge gut punch. Yes, it sucks to lose him and I hope he has a speedy recovery, but I think a healthy Fournier helps replace some of Jaylen's scoring. On the other end, Jaylen has regressed defensively so it's not like we're losing a stalwart there. If Nesmith can keep up his play, we have better depth at the wing than we started the season with.

I still think this team survives the play-in.

But Fournier was already a replacement—replacing some of what Hayward provided. So if he's now expected to replace at least some of the contributions of two players, that's probably not going to go very well.

Nesmith is certainly far ahead of where he was to start the season, and Langford could help, but with Jaylen out, I'm not sure the depth is really any better now than it was then.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2021, 07:18:02 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
I think this injury was from a couple of falls in earlier games. And was seemingly holding his wrist on several occasions when he hit the floor. The bump with Tatum was probably the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say.

Get well soon JB and then prepare for next year, because we know it'll be your best season yet.

I've been screaming about the refs not protecting Jaylen all year, maybe a couple of years. He just gets the crap knocked out of him. The refs are supposed to protect the starS!!!!

Careful or the NBA will fine you $50k for complaining about officiating.

They're knocking on my door!!!!

TP

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2021, 07:18:45 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Apparently this is a pretty serious wrist injury:

https://news.hss.edu/novel-surgery-relieves-pain-and-restores-function-in-patients-with-common-wrist-injury/

It's common, but it also seems to routinely lead to arthritis and other negative symptoms.  Of course, JB isn't a mere mortal like the rest of us, so he'll get whatever is on the cutting edge of techniques.

Honestly, he should look into getting the procedure done by Dr. Wolfe himself. At the very least, he should have the surgery at HSS with team doctors observing.

Yeah, I’m no expert in these things, but they’re a world class facility.

My company treats a lot of their post-surgical patients. I'd recommend anyone to go there.  I'm not knocking NEBH or any other Boston hospital, but HSS attracts the best surgeons in the world (although I'm starting to get concerned about our training staff). Jaylen should get only the best in this situation.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2021, 07:24:03 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Maybe this will force the Celtics to hire a coach that knows how to manage its players and not run them into the ground during garbage times or in back to backs.  Fire brad stevens!

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2021, 07:24:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Man, what a huge bummer!! Had been really impressed with JB’s toughness in playing through the injuries he’d had this year (less impressed with our medical staff...), but obviously this one is a level above those. Rehab and come back stronger than ever.

I wonder what route we go down. I’d be happy to just lose out and get a solid pick, but I also see the value in pumping playoff experience into our young guys. Don’t know if we’d get past the first round now, but who knows
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Maybe this will force the Celtics to hire a coach that knows how to manage its players and not run them into the ground during garbage times or in back to backs.  Fire brad stevens!
This is a funny criticism. Tatum is 11th in minutes played this season, Brown is 41st. Teams like New York (duh), Portland, Phoenix and Washington have duos with many more minutes played, yet I doubt you’d criticise their coaches for that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2021, 07:42:13 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
OOF.  If Jaylen is out for the rest of the season, there go our playoff hopes!

About the only positive is this opens up more minutes for Nesmith.

Hopefully he cements himself into the rotation as the season comes to a close.

He has already looked miles improved in the past couple of weeks compared to the start of the season.

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2021, 07:49:33 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Not expecting any magical run, but this is a similar scenario for Nesmith, Rob, and Pritchard to what happened when Tatum, Brown and Rozier broke out and led the team to the ECFs a few years back when Kyrie and Hayward were out.

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2021, 08:20:01 PM »

Offline CelticsBR

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
More than to Nesmith, who was already getting playing time, it is an opportunity for Langford. Hope he gets it.

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2021, 08:21:29 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Get well soon Jaylen! I remember seeing him fall to the floor and his wrist took the impact in one of the more recent games. Maybe it was vs OKC as one article mentioned. But he certainly was in pain and played through it. Good thing it’s his left wrist. Again this is a great test to see what type of team this year’s Celtics are. Do they just wilt and bow out of the playoffs, or do we see another inspiring run ala JT/JB/Rozier? This year has been crazy so anything is possible. Also, perhaps this injury forces the Cs to retain Fournier’s services.

Overall it’s been a horrible year and this latest news on Jaylen just exemplifies that. At least my expectations have been lowered and I’m gonna try to enjoy the rest of the season with an eye for the development of Nessie and PP. Go Celtics!

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2021, 08:27:56 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
I think this injury was from a couple of falls in earlier games. And was seemingly holding his wrist on several occasions when he hit the floor. The bump with Tatum was probably the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say.

Get well soon JB and then prepare for next year, because we know it'll be your best season yet.

Yes I do remember watching that game. He was trying to “shake it off” after the fall and ended up playing the whole game. It probably didn’t bother him as much, being his non shooting hand. But maybe that explains the bad defense he’s had recently.

TP for the positivity sir, we need a lot of that. I will try to enjoy whatever remains of this season but am looking forward with great optimism to next season. Go Cs!

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2021, 08:30:58 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
Ugh, get well soon JB. But we weren’t going anywhere anyways.

The worst part about this is now management has an excuse to “run it back” next season with no major changes.

I doubt it.  Expecting some significant changes

Maybe this injury makes them take a hard look at retaining Fournier as JB’s replacement while he recovers from surgery?

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2021, 08:32:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This will be a big test for Fournier and Nesmith.

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2021, 08:34:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'd shut everyone down and call it a year.

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2021, 08:35:02 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
Langford had the same surgery.

Should we blame Romeo?