Author Topic: Frustration at the whole season!  (Read 7053 times)

Re: Frustration at the whole season!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2021, 03:23:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Quote from: Moranis
Stevens does a great job managing the overall season boosting the wins and performance, but the team ends up losing too many of the close games meaning it actually under performs based on the team's stats.

4th quarter execution has definitely been an issue for the team in the past, though ironically this year they've actually show improvement in that area, albeit at the expense of building leads in the first place.

That's a separate matter from the team playing above their talent level in the past. 

Both can be true: the team's overall performance exceeded the talent level on paper heading into each season, but the team also dropped more close games than expected.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2021, 03:27:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
Stevens does a great job managing the overall season boosting the wins and performance, but the team ends up losing too many of the close games meaning it actually under performs based on the team's stats.

4th quarter execution has definitely been an issue for the team in the past, though ironically this year they've actually show improvement in that area, albeit at the expense of building leads in the first place.

That's a separate matter from the team playing above their talent level in the past. 

Both can be true: the team's overall performance exceeded the talent level on paper heading into each season, but the team also dropped more close games than expected.
Yes absolutely, so at the end of the day, I think the team has generally overachieved for 5 years and continuing to expect that is just strange (though as I said, I think you could argue the team has overachieved again this year). 

My general premise is basically when looking at the roster makeup and season as a whole, Boston has performed about as should be expected.  This is a team given everything that should be slightly above .500 and that is exactly what it is.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2021, 04:17:39 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Celtics just can't defend when it counts. 
Tristan Thompson had one of his worst games ever against the Heat.  Only 2 points and 0 assists.  It's like we're playing a man down on offense when he was in the game.
And he didn't impact the defensive side of the game either.

In hindsight, TT was one of the worst pickups of the offseason. 
If we only had Myles Turner instead, we'd have a big man marauding the paint with 3.4 blocks per game who can also occasionally nail the open spread the court 3 pointer. 
Thompson can't shoot the 3 ball at all and is a square peg trying to fit a round hole.

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2021, 04:20:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yes absolutely, so at the end of the day, I think the team has generally overachieved for 5 years and continuing to expect that is just strange (though as I said, I think you could argue the team has overachieved again this year). 

My general premise is basically when looking at the roster makeup and season as a whole, Boston has performed about as should be expected.  This is a team given everything that should be slightly above .500 and that is exactly what it is.

I think if the Celts had the injury / COVID luck of Utah or Phoenix, they would have 40+ wins right now and would have already locked up the 4 seed.

But relying on having good luck with injuries and COVID was always going to be a losing proposition this season.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2021, 04:40:58 PM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
If you told me the celtics would get contributions from both their rookie draft picks, tatum and brown would be averaging 26ppg and 24ppg and robert williams would be a regular contributor, 7th seed is not where I would expect the team to be.

whether its injuries, effort, coaching etc. this team is missing something. and its another year where we have underperformed vs. our talent.

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2021, 04:40:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Celtics just can't defend when it counts. 
Tristan Thompson had one of his worst games ever against the Heat.  Only 2 points and 0 assists.  It's like we're playing a man down on offense when he was in the game.
And he didn't impact the defensive side of the game either.

In hindsight, TT was one of the worst pickups of the offseason. 
If we only had Myles Turner instead, we'd have a big man marauding the paint with 3.4 blocks per game who can also occasionally nail the open spread the court 3 pointer. 
Thompson can't shoot the 3 ball at all and is a square peg trying to fit a round hole.

I am not sure how accurate this is relative to this game.  The #1 line up in the game was .T. Thompson, .K. Walker, .E. Fournier, .M. Smart, .J. Tatum at 16.3 minutes and +15.  That same line up with RWill in for Thompson was -11 in 6 minutes.  You can't come to the conclusion that this was "one of the worst games ever".  He had 12 rebounds.  Probably defended well and some other things.

Now, was he the worst pick up of the off season?  I am a bit disappointed with him but Teague was worse.  I was expecting more from Thompson.  Overall though, of all the bigs on the team, he has the best +/-  expect for Tacko and Kornet.  Theis was actually a little better also.  The team has played better with him on the court than off.  Not by a ton, but better.

Re: Frustration at Brad not adjusting in game!
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2021, 04:42:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Are we tanking?

Then it would all make sense.

Carsen Edwards????

Is he part of the playoff rotation now?
If they make the playoffs, is there any benefit to continue tanking?  Asking so I know whether to watch or not. Oh wait...I知 not being entertained in these games, often shutting it off or not even bothering to watch, so why should it be any different in the playoffs.

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2021, 06:29:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
NOW JAYLEN! Cue head explosion!!!!

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2021, 08:30:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

I think if the Celts had the injury / COVID luck of Utah or Phoenix, they would have 40+ wins right now and would have already locked up the 4 seed.

But relying on having good luck with injuries and COVID was always going to be a losing proposition this season.
I don't disagree they'd have way more wins, so I just don't understand how this season can be considered a let down or disappointment given all of the injuries or covid.  The fact that Boston is sitting in the position its in, is actually a testament to how well the season has gone.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip