Author Topic: I'm tired of all the switching in our Defense!  (Read 1901 times)

I'm tired of all the switching in our Defense!
« on: May 08, 2021, 04:21:34 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I'm getting really tired of all the switching in our defense. I'm really tired of seeing our small guards guarding centers in the paint. I'm tired of those constant open corner threes. I also realize our offense which has quite a few really good offensive players on it should be able to score over 100 points per game. Why can other teams feed the hot hand and kill us with it but we always have to spread the offense around even when players can't throw it in the ocean?

I will now take a breath and get ready for the Heat series! Just needed to get that off my chest!

Go Celtics!!!

Re: I'm tired of all the switching in our Defense!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 04:32:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Why can other teams feed the hot hand and kill us with it but we always have to spread the offense around even when players can't throw it in the ocean?

Because if a Celtic Heats up Brad takes them out, and hope he is saving them for when it matters.   What really happens is they cool off.

Our record in matinee games this year has not been solid it seems to me.  I hope we win but have we won any matinee games this year?

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  I also realize our offense which has quite a few really good offensive players on it should be able to score over 100 points per game.

We average 113 per game.  Our offense ranks 10th overall.  Ideally it would be better, but it’s not bad.

Why can other teams feed the hot hand and kill us with it but we always have to spread the offense around even when players can't throw it in the ocean?

Tatum scored 60.  We get our scorers shots.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
We’re 8th in ISO frequency and 22nd in ISO PPP; 21st in Transition frequency and 2nd in Transition PPP per NBA.com. Brown and Tatum are 2 of the best transition players in the league and should be intermittently leaking out for transition opportunities.

A couple of other changes has to be the static player in the corner on every non-transition set and the lack of zeroing in and attacking opposing star players; the first allows opposing players to rest on defense and they’re getting better and better at disrupting driving and passing lanes to cause turnovers and the second agains allows opposing players to rest on defense and torch us on offense (force Trae, Kyrie, and others to guard Jaylen and Jayson on offense and watch their offense not be automatic in the fourth).

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 06:09:15 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Switching would work great if we had a switchable lineup. But we don't.  When we have 5 guys each of whom is 6'6" plus, it works pretty well.  With guys like Kemba on the floor, it suffers.  It just does. 

The Lord giveth (34 points) and taketh (mouse in the house) away.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 06:11:54 PM »

Online Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
Giving up corner threes is a function of our help defense schemes. Leaving players one pass away to help on others has been called out as a big flaw in Steven's defense by people like Coach Nick on BBallBreakdown. I'm a big Brad fan, but this aspect is horrible and on him.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 07:21:44 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Giving up corner threes is a function of our help defense schemes. Leaving players one pass away to help on others has been called out as a big flaw in Steven's defense by people like Coach Nick on BBallBreakdown. I'm a big Brad fan, but this aspect is horrible and on him.
And yet the Celtics have had a consistently great defense under Brad. What changed?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »

Online Yuckabuck33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 171
And yet the Celtics have had a consistently great defense under Brad. What changed?

Good point. I don't know. But watch this video called "The Celtics are broken" from BBallBreakdown and tell me it's not a team scheme. The help defense segment is 8 minutes in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOea2dBRPJc&t=313s

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 08:59:06 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176

You have to make in-game adjustments when a player is just shooting lights out. Coby White looked like Tatum out there just shooting open shot after open shot with no adjustment. This isn't one game either it's the whole season. You'd think Brad would get tired of watching it game after game after game. Even the worse coaches in the NBA know how to get easy open shots against the Celtics.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 07:50:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think some coaches have figured out CBS plays and system.    Look at how many stolen passes and TOs other teams get off us.

Some of it is personnel to but I think coaches now know our scheme and have a good recipe to beat us.

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I think some coaches have figured out CBS plays and system.    Look at how many stolen passes and TOs other teams get off us.

Some of it is personnel to but I think coaches now know our scheme and have a good recipe to beat us.

Much truth here