Author Topic: You Stay Classy NFL  (Read 2388 times)

You Stay Classy NFL
« on: May 05, 2021, 06:43:11 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
In light of Denver Broncos offensive tackle Ja'Wuan James suffering a torn Achilles during a workout away from the team facility, the NFL sent a memo to teams regarding the financial implications of such setbacks.

Reporter Aaron Wilson shared the memo in which the league made clear teams are not "obligated to provide salary continuation during the year in which the injury was sustained" if it happened away from the team facility

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1390065145871798276?s=20
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: You Stay Classy NFL
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 07:10:39 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I would probably agree, except that the memo indicates that several  teams asked for guidance.

Does the NFLPA think that the rule is being wrongfully interpreted?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 07:41:16 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
I would probably agree, except that the memo indicates that several  teams asked for guidance.

I think this is a NFL League Office vs NFLPA issue more than an Owners vs Players issue. The NFL wants the players to participate at the team facilities and at team trainings while the NFLPA has been sighting COVID concerns and has been openly encouraging players to not participate at the facilities/trainings.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 07:48:34 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I think this is a NFL League Office vs NFLPA issue more than an Owners vs Players issue. The NFL wants the players to participate at the team facilities and at team trainings while the NFLPA has been sighting COVID concerns and has been openly encouraging players to not participate at the facilities/trainings.

Not only that, but under this thinking an NFL player that does individual workouts outside of the team facilities (which is every player) and hurts themselves, the team can choose not pay the play his due wage till he’s recovered. Under this concept if Tom Brady or Mahomes hurt themselves working out with their personal coach/trainer outside of his NFL teams facility, the team could dock them a year’s salary if they get a season ending injury. The irony of this is that the players are all working out outside of the team scope, to improve for the team or be physically ready for preseason training.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:55:17 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 07:52:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

It’s never happened before?  What’s the precedent, if any?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 08:25:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

It’s never happened before?  What’s the precedent, if any?
They probably have permission and thus are covered.  I don't know why a player would just get permission to work out at home or a private gym.  Solves that problem.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 07:39:32 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Is this really any different than any other year or similar situation? The NFL has always been able to cancel player contracts for almost any reason and not be responsible to have to pay the player. It's the NFL being the NFL. They are the most powerful group of sports owners with the most pro-owner CBA in North American sports.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 07:52:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I read that James had been working out at the team facility this off-season, then switched to working out privately because of the union’s encouragement.

Is th union going to pay his $10 million?  That seems like bad advice.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 210
I read that James had been working out at the team facility this off-season, then switched to working out privately because of the union’s encouragement.

Is th union going to pay his $10 million?  That seems like bad advice.
It will be interesting to see what the teams do and whether or not they will honor the contracts. It seems like the NFL may be giving the teams bad advice on not paying out in an instance like this. If Denver does not pay what does that do to their relationship with their players and potential free agents? I get having something in the contract that bars risky things but simply working out should not be penalized, in my opinion.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 09:34:21 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
He could have sustained the injury doing an activity that was prohibited in his contract, but said he suffered the injury by working out in hopes of the team honoring the contract. NFL contracts are not guaranteed, which is why the players fight so hard in asking for guaranteed money during negotiations.

If you fall and get hurt, it's better to do it at work (or a place of business) and not at home. After all, you can't sue yourself.

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2021, 09:47:21 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
It should be noted that James is not a popular player in the Denver organization.  This was from an article in early January, before the injury.

“I’ve talked to him now and then. He knows what he has to do to get back into the room, and he knows what he has to do to earn our trust back," Broncos left tackle Garett Bolles told reporters Monday.

But one fact, confirmed by head coach Vic Fangio, is indisputable: James fumbled away any and all goodwill that might have previously existed.

“I’ve been in touch a couple times with Ja’Wuan during the season, and I know he’s anxious to get back here and get back in the fold," Fangio said Tuesday. "Anytime you’ve been out for a year, you got to get yourself back into the mix and earn the respect and trust of everybody moving forward. I’m sure he’ll be able to do that.”

When your teammates and your coach both talk about needing to re-earn their trust, it's probably a good idea to be at the team facilities every day, showing everyone you're putting in the work, rather than at home.  I think part of James' issue is that the organization might not be 100% convinced he hurt himself how he says he did.