Author Topic: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)  (Read 10123 times)

Re: Mac Jones Better than Brady (In College)
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2021, 02:43:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Brady was undefined.  Mac Jones is next level.
Yet somehow Mac can run faster and jump higher. Love it

They need to do one of those sports physics segments, to explain how a dude with man boobs and a gut can physically throw like he does.  Where’s the arm strength come from?

Arm strength doesn’t matter as much as you’d think. What matters is torque and how fast you can whip your arm. Look at some of the pitchers over the years that were completely out of shape, but could still throw 90+MPH.

With that said, Mac does need to get into better shape. That photo of him next to Brady is unacceptable.
Sure, but arm strength definitely caps your potential as an NFL quarterback. Gardner Minshew has many good attributes for a quarterback, yet his arm simply isn't strong enough, so his ceiling is only a backup.

I’m not worried about his arm Strength at all...

Throwing in front of NFL head coaches, including Bill Belichick (Patriots), Sean Payton (Saints) and Kyle Shanahan (49ers), Jones did a variety of things during his workout, including paying homage to both his late coach at The Bolles School and Navy with a triple-option play that ended with Harris throwing a touchdown pass back to the Crimson Tide quarterback.

Other than having fun, however, he wanted to show he can make every throw. “In real football, you just want to complete the ball,” Jones said. “At the end of the day, hopefully, I did show my arm strength. I can throw it 65 or however long they need me to throw it, but in a real game, it’s all about being a passer and not a thrower. I just wanted to show off. I mean, I already did one pro day, and it was fun. So come out here and sling it deep a little bit and let those guys catch some balls. It was good.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/2021-NFL-Draft-Alabama-Football-QB-Mac-Jones-wanted-to-show-his-arm-strength-in-second-pro-day-workout-163357876/Amp/

Yeah, that’s the point I was making (and which you expounded on):  Jones looks like a doughboy.  He doesn’t have huge arms, shoulders, pecs, etc.  If you look at him, you would never think that he could throw 65 yards. But, he can.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2021, 05:23:43 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A ton of guys were better in college than Brady and that means nothing folks.   That is why Brady was a sixth round pick it.

It didn't help any of "those" better guys beat him in the NFL.......

« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2021, 06:46:06 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
A ton of guys were better in college than Brady and that means nothing folks.   That is why Brady was a sixth round pick it.

It didn't help any of "those" better guys beat him in the NFL.......

I'm just ragging on Bill here because it's funny.  Play along ready.

Brady is the undisputed champ. He's way better than Bill. Bill should bow down to Tom's greatness. Bill gave him.no weapons at the end. Tom proved he's better last year.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2021, 03:23:43 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Hearing today from Mike Lombardi that the Saints were trying to jump up in front of the Pats for Jones.  Maybe this Jones guy will be OK.  That's what I keep telling myself.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/03/nfl-draft-patriots-mac-jones-saints-trade/
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2021, 06:19:21 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Mac is more athletic than people give him credit for. Didn’t realize it, but he ran the 40 in 4.68 seconds.

Some other QB 40 times:

Josh Allen: 4.63
Tua: 4.9
Mayfield: 4.8
Burrow: 4.9
Tannehill: 4.65
Wentz: 4.7
Watson: 4.68
Mahomes 4.8
Carr: 4.69
Rodgers: 4.71

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2021-nfl-draft-grades-patriots-earn-a-b-for-taking-mac-jones-with-no-15-overall-pick/amp/

Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2021, 12:57:58 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
OK, maybe I need to start warming up to Mac.  Just read this on Twitter:

"So just to summarize: McDaniels/Belichick, Sean Payton, and Kyle Shanahan all think Mac Jones is good. Some of the brightest coaches in the sport. Maybe Mac Jones is good?"
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2021, 01:40:08 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

"So just to summarize: McDaniels/Belichick, Sean Payton, and Kyle Shanahan all think Mac Jones is good. Some of the brightest coaches in the sport. Maybe Mac Jones is good?"

Let me ask you this, what don’t you like about Mac Jones?
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2021, 01:49:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Of course he’s good.  He was a consensus top-15 QB who put up video game numbers at Alabama. 

Is he great?  That’s the question.  He had excellent wide receivers and an awesome offensive line.  How will he play under pressure?  How will he play with less dominant wideouts?

I’m not sure, but I like him a lot.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2021, 02:19:44 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wish him luck, but filling Brady shoes will be huge.   I hope he makes all you Pats fans happy and does well.

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2021, 03:08:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I wish him luck, but filling Brady shoes will be huge.   I hope he makes all you Pats fans happy and does well.

Luckily, he just has to fill Cam Newton’s shoes.

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2021, 04:47:30 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

True. That shouldn’t be difficult. I predict that Mac will be the starter by week 4. Can’t wait..

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2021, 09:12:09 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Mac Jones looked really really good yesterday.  His arm is better than I thought.  He processes like a vet out of the pocket

Week 2 highlights

https://youtu.be/-IkONHd1enA

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2021, 09:35:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Mac Jones looked really really good yesterday.  His arm is better than I thought.  He processes like a vet out of the pocket

Week 2 highlights

https://youtu.be/-IkONHd1enA

He did look good. The "knock" is that it wasn't against the Philly starters. Of course, Mac Jones wasn't working with the Pats starters either. Nevertheless, he did look really good.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2021, 10:30:48 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353

True. That shouldn’t be difficult. I predict that Mac will be the starter by week 4. Can’t wait..

I doubt Bill would have the Bucs game be his first start; to me, it would either be before or after that

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2021, 10:37:27 AM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Mac Jones college career

TD PASS - 54
INT - 7

Bill's kind of guy.

They were saying "he's not shredded"....

How about ..."he wins big games and doesn't throw interceptions"?

He might not be shredded, but he did get himself into excellenct shape.

Went from this:

To this