Author Topic: Maybe the guy to trade for is... Westbrook?  (Read 8567 times)

Maybe the guy to trade for is... Westbrook?
« on: April 29, 2021, 12:01:11 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
We’ve seen a lot of Beal-Brown trade ideas popping up here and I hear what both sides are saying but maybe we’re focusing on trading for the wrong player here. Here’s what I’m thinking:

Kemba-Smart-Carsen (filler) for Westbrook-Bertans.

Contract-wise, all those guys are on long term deals, with Smart being a free agent in the offseason after this one.

WHY FOR THE C’s:
I know many aren’t a fan of Westbrook but I think this is going to be the culture change the C’s need to shake them up (read: no need to put CBS on the hot seat). Russ plays hard, pushes the tempo, gets to the line and is a big PG who plays strong man defense. He’s not a good shooter like Smart but at least he doesn’t jack up as many threes either.

I think his biggest contribution though is providing that fire and leadership that Smart tries to provide but on a more credible level. This team has no identity, imo. Or at least not a good one. If anything, this team’s identity is inconsistent effort, a lot of iso shots, and over-helping on defense. I think having Russ on the team can change the effort part and his willingness to pass should hopefully reduce the iso’s. The defense... I don’t know lol

We lose Kemba’s shooting but this move also opens up more minutes and shots for guys like Pritchard, who’s rounding out to be a terrific backup. I also think Westbrook’s willingness to drive will also open things up for Tatum and Brown (both of who seem to work entirely too hard for their shots)

As for Bertans, he’s the big shooter CBS loves. If anything, maybe he reduces Grant’s minutes. 3M/yr for 5 years seems like pretty solid value.

WHY FOR THE WIZ:
They get 1st team all D Marcus Smart and also, it’s just a value play. For their #2 guy, they’re getting a #2 and #3 guy in Kemba and Smart. Incremental improvement in overall talent to go alongside whichever pick they’ll get this year.

- LilRip

Re: Maybe the guy to trade for is... Westbrook?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 12:15:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I like adding Bertans and don't have the hate of Westbrook that many do, I think adding him will severely stunt the growth of one of the Jays. Westbrook would need to curtail some of his shot taking in order to maximize the Jays growth and performance. I am not sure Westbrook could do that.

Westbrook's inefficiency over the last 4 years is awful(51% TS% total in those 4 years) and getting worse. Yet, he is still racking up huge on the ball time and usage,  while taking 20 shots a game. I don't see him as a good fit here. If people don't like Smart's shot selection, they will probably feel equally as disgusted with Westbrook's.

It's an interesting idea, but I am not sure it would make the team better.

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 12:58:59 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I think I would stop watching basketball all together until he was off the Cs.  No thanks

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 12:59:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I'm not giving up that trade package for Westbrook without getting someone like Deni coming back.  Need to get a high draft pick or high level prospect to be saddled with Westbrook's massive contract and declining game.  And if they really want out of Westbrook maybe you get Bryant and Advija

Westbrook, Bryant, Advija for Walker, Smart, Nesmith

I'd consider something like that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 01:26:56 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Westbrook makes more than 40M per year until the end of 2023 and that kills any tepid interest I might have in acquiring him.  Too expensive for what he brings. 

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 01:31:50 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm not giving up that trade package for Westbrook without getting someone like Deni coming back.  Need to get a high draft pick or high level prospect to be saddled with Westbrook's massive contract and declining game.  And if they really want out of Westbrook maybe you get Bryant and Advija

Wouldn't you prefer Rui over Advija? Or do you figure they wouldn't agree to include him?

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 01:49:36 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Interesting idea.  How about:

Westbrook

for

Walker
Langford

If I compare Westbrook to Kemba, Westbrook is the better more durable player.  He has a bigger but shorter contract.  Sure, probably Washington would be happy to get out from under his contract but taking back Kemba puts them right back under another bad contract.

Not sure we end up any better out of this on the court and we definitely end up worse in the locker room.

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 02:20:01 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Westbrook

for

Walker
Langford

If I compare Westbrook to Kemba, Westbrook is the better more durable player.  He has a bigger but shorter contract.  Sure, probably Washington would be happy to get out from under his contract but taking back Kemba puts them right back under another bad contract.

Not sure we end up any better out of this on the court and we definitely end up worse in the locker room.

Westbrook and Walker both have a player option in 2022-23, so their contracts are of the same length.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 02:36:02 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Westbrook

for

Walker
Langford

Westbrook and Walker both have a player option in 2022-23, so their contracts are of the same length.

Yes, I did some more checking and you are correct.  TradeNBA said something different.  Makes the deal a little better for Washington.  Not sure it help our end of it.

I would rather try to trade Kemba to the Knicks.  Maybe there is a creative 3-way where we can end up with a decent PF.  I am not fully clear on sign-trade rules but could we send Kemba to the Knicks (they are way under the cap), have them send some players and picks to Chicago, and we get Markkanen in a sign and trade with out being hard capped?  It is Chicago that would be hard capped?

SIGN-AND-TRADES

Teams are prohibited from signing a free agent pursuant to an agreement that the player will later be traded to another team unless the free agent being signed is the team’s own free agent.

In addition, these “sign-and-trades” are permitted only if:

(i) the contract is for three or four years,

(ii) the first year of the contract is fully guaranteed,

(iii) the contract is entered into prior to the first day of the regular season,

(iv) the player finished the prior season on the signing team’s roster.

NOTE: The maximum annual salary increase for a sign-and-trade is 5% of the salary in the first year of the contract.

After a sign-and-trade deal, the signing team will be “hard-capped” at the total of the then-current Salary Cap Year plus the Tax Apron Amount.

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 12:32:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Wouldn't you prefer Rui over Advija? Or do you figure they wouldn't agree to include him?
I don't think they'd trade Rui, but I actually prefer Deni from a skills standpoint (though Rui is a pure PF unlike Deni).  I expect Deni (if he recovers) to take a pretty big leap next year and I think he'd be a better compliment to Tatum and Brown even though he has less size than Rui.

Also, guys like Deni or Rui and Bryant to a lesser extent, is why you would take on Westbrook.  Massive contract, but you get a solid build around piece moving forward.  Those are the types of moves I've been advocating for for awhile, because those are the type of moves that can give Boston a real 3rd piece moving forward.  Same type of trade as the Wiggins and top 5 pick for Smart and filler I've also mentioned. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 12:49:39 PM by Moranis »

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 09:27:52 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Sign me up, we need someone who hypes up their teammates and competes no matter what. And if he is actually available for kemba and some other player that might be the best return we could get for kemba. I think his defense and hustle could unlock some of this teams potential. I know the contract is bad but I'd rather have him than kemba going forward...
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 09:28:37 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
No thank you
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:49 AM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
I like adding Bertans and don't have the hate of Westbrook that many do, I think adding him will severely stunt the growth of one of the Jays. Westbrook would need to curtail some of his shot taking in order to maximize the Jays growth and performance. I am not sure Westbrook could do that.

He could but he wouldn’t.  Russ is what he is at this point and no coach is going to change that, no matter how tough they are.

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 09:57:13 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Just to be clear, Westbrook shoots significantly less 3's than Smart.  SIGNIFICANTLY.  So if you are removing Smart and replacing him with Westbrook that is actually a win in the ill advised 3 point shooting column.  And while Westbrook is not as good a defender as Smart, he is is an infinitely better rebounder, passer, creator, etc. A Westbrook for Smart swap would make Boston a lot better.  The question of course is does a Westbrook + asset swap for Walker + Smart make Boston better or more likely to win a championship, and I believe the answer to that depends a great deal on what that asset is that come from Washington.  I don't think Bertans is good enough, but Deni, Rui, or Bryant might be.  So if you can get at least 1 of those 3 in the trade, then I'd probably do it, especially if it is Deni or Rui. 

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 11:58:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Look if we're not winning a championship I want to enjoy the heck out of watching the team. 

We're not winning a championship with 32 year old Russ as our lead creator.  I've never particularly enjoyed watching Russ.

That's where I'm at.  Either construct a team that plays beautiful ball despite not having much of a chance of going beyond the 2nd round, or find some way to boost the talent level on the team.

Having a team that is clearly not a contender and plays a style I find irritating is not tenable for me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain