Author Topic: Steve Kerr  (Read 3202 times)

Re: Steve Kerr
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 11:39:45 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
How much credit does Kerr get for developing Draymond Green?
I don't think that much.  If you look at the advanced metrics his 2nd year (i.e. before Kerr) they were pretty much super elite already.  I mean he led the league in DBPM, his defensive win shares per 48 were basically the same, etc.  Green was already proving to be an uber elite defender under Mark Jackson.  Kerr certainly opened up the GS offense, which helped Green there, and he was a starter from day 1 (though he did start 12 games under Jackson and 4 of the 7 playoff games), but Green was a defensive beast before Kerr and had shown passing, rebounding, and some range before Kerr as well.  I just think Kerr happened to come on for Green's natural progression, which was a fairly typical one for players. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 12:11:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Has there been a thread about this guy? How come he does not get recognition as one of the best coaches in the league? People rave about Popovitch, Spoelstra, and some others but I do not see much love for Kerr. What’s up with that?

Pop was all Robinson and Duncan ,  he had two of the best bigs in history on the same team and Duncan healthy for like 17 seasons .  more lucky than anything .
Are... are you serious?

I am are you ?

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think Tom Izzo developed Draymond Green

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I think Tom Izzo developed Draymond Green

You think therefore you are.

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2021, 02:00:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
How much credit does Kerr get for developing Draymond Green?
(1) Kerr lucked into playing Draymond. An injury to David Lee in training camp forced a change to their lineup which triggered much of their success.

(2) Kerr's offense did a great job of utilizing and developing Draymond's ball-handling and playmaking. I do not believe this aspect of his game would have developed without Kerr or a coach like Kerr.

(3) As Moranis stated, Draymond's defense & rebounding had already developed by the time Kerr took over. However, Kerr did use Draymond on centers for the first time which did give Draymond added value as a small ball center. Kerr was ahead of the curve on this and this added value may have gone unexploited for several seasons without Kerr's influence.

(4) Draymond's capacity to stay on the floor came with his improved jump-shot during the early Mark Jackson to Steve Kerr years. This development was all Draymond.

----------

Draymond and Kerr reminds me of Pippen and Phil Jackson. Phil Jackson's Triangle offense was the absolute perfect for Pippen who was ideal for a read and react offense but struggled in a more directed offense.

I always remember Rudy T talking about how he would script loads of plays for Pippen to get shots and Pippen would be quiet and passive but when they ran no plays for Pippen he would have his best games. Pippen just wasn't comfortable in that type of a directed offense. Loved the read and react elements of the Triangle and blossomed within it.

Similar in my mind to what Draymond achieved in Kerr's offense and how it keyed his growth.