Author Topic: New Off-Season Wishlist  (Read 5470 times)

New Off-Season Wishlist
« on: April 18, 2021, 04:33:08 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
We’re back in the swing of things and with a few careful moves, and continued growth of the Super Jay Bros. under Brad’s brilliance, we could win it all next year. Here’s what I’d like to see happen:

- Decline team options: Edwards and Grant Williams
- Re-sign Fournier
- Trade Smart and the remainder of TPE for Draymond Green (Klay is tall enough to play 3 and will be slower than before, so it makes sense to move Klay and Wiggins up to 3/4 with Smart slotted at the 2...do we want to risk losing Smart or guarantee we have a good defender in Green for a few years? Gotta pull the trigger on trading Smart if he will not re-sign this off-season)
- Sign Dragan Bender, Dante Exum and Harry Giles III to minimum deals
- Draft the best available player in the first-round (hopefully someone great slides to us) and a draft-and-stash in the second-round
- Continue to stash Yam Madar for one more season

Walker/Pritchard/Exum
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Fournier/Nesmith
Green/Parker/Giles
TT/Timelord/Bender

* + 2021 1st round pick (hopefully a promising 3/4)

Re: New Off-Season Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 05:06:00 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We’re back in the swing of things and with a few careful moves, and continued growth of the Super Jay Bros. under Brad’s brilliance, we could win it all next year. Here’s what I’d like to see happen:

- Re-sign Fournier
- Trade Smart and the remainder of TPE for Draymond Green (Klay is tall enough to play 3 and will be slower than before, so it makes sense to move Klay and Wiggins up to 3/4 with Smart slotted at the 2...do we want to risk losing Smart or guarantee we have a good defender in Green for a few years? Gotta pull the trigger on trading Smart if he will not re-sign this off-season)
- Draft the best available player in the first-round (hopefully someone great slides to us) and a draft-and-stash in the second-round

Walker/Pritchard/Exum
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Fournier/Nesmith
Green/Parker/Giles
TT/Timelord/Bender

bullet by bullet:
- Edwards and GWill are under contract for next year, period.  The team option year is for the 22-23 season.  They'll be here barring a trade to move them.  I can't see the team eating their salary next year.
- Fournier supposedly has been spoken to about resigning with the team.  whole point of trading for him was to keep him and not use that much of the TPE on a partial-season rental.
- Smart (nor any player) cannot be combined with the TPE in a deal.  Even if it could, I'm not sure I'd trade him for Draymond considering where each of them are in their careers.
- No to signing those 3 scrubs.  no more reclamation projects needed, particularly ones that haven't done squat after this many year.
- Draft BPA --> been Danny's strategy all along. 
- Continue stashing Yam?  not against it but he looks to be against it.  if we can bring him over on a 2-way contract initially and kick Waters to the curb, I'm all for it.

to recap, Fournier move is pretty much in line with the purpose of the trade and taking BPA is the team's typical draft strategy.  The rest is a non-starter.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
What happens if Yam says no to stashing?

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 06:43:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

- Re-sign Fournier

Walker/Pritchard/Exum
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Fournier/Nesmith
Green/Parker/Giles
TT/Timelord/Bender

bullet by bullet:
- Edwards and GWill are under contract for next year, period.  The team option year is for the 22-23 season.  They'll be here barring a trade to move them.  I can't see the team eating their salary next year.
- Fournier supposedly has been spoken to about resigning with the team.  whole point of trading for him was to keep him and not use that much of the TPE on a partial-season rental.
- Smart (nor any player) cannot be combined with the TPE in a deal.  Even if it could, I'm not sure I'd trade him for Draymond considering where each of them are in their careers.
- No to signing those 3 scrubs.  no more reclamation projects needed, particularly ones that haven't done squat after this many year.
- Continue stashing Yam?  not against it but he looks to be against it.  if we can bring him over on a 2-way contract initially and kick Waters to the curb, I'm all for it.

to recap, Fournier move is pretty much in line with the purpose of the trade and taking BPA is the team's typical draft strategy.  The rest is a non-starter.
My understanding was players could be included as long as it wasn't done in order to increase the amount of salary being brought back. So a player could be added alongside the TPE, but the amount of salary a team could bring back was limited by the TPE.

Could be totally off there though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 06:44:27 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89

I expect that was just for this year and he’s in camp for the 2022 season. He’s already asked out of the last year of his contract with his Israeli team.

He’s 20, 6’3”, and has a Ricky Rubio skill set. I can’t imagine he’s worse than Waters or Exum and can spend some time in G League if he’s not ready.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 07:18:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

- Re-sign Fournier

Walker/Pritchard/Exum
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Fournier/Nesmith
Green/Parker/Giles
TT/Timelord/Bender

bullet by bullet:

My understanding was players could be included as long as it wasn't done in order to increase the amount of salary being brought back. So a player could be added alongside the TPE, but the amount of salary a team could bring back was limited by the TPE.

You're off a bit. A player has to fit within the TPE, you can't trade it blank in conjunction with another player.

So for instance, Draymond at $22 million a year doesn't fit into the $10 million left of the TPE. Therefore, you can't combine the TPE with a player to get to the money needed to complete the trade.

But let's say Ainge sent Smart and Thompson and the TPE for Dray and let's say Wiseman(I know Wiseman would never be moved in such a trade but it's an example). Smart and Thompson gets the Dray part of the deal done then Wiseman's $9 million salary fits into the TPE, so that completes that part of the deal.

Hope that helps.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 07:41:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

- Re-sign Fournier

Walker/Pritchard/Exum
Brown/Langford
Tatum/Fournier/Nesmith
Green/Parker/Giles
TT/Timelord/Bender

bullet by bullet:

You're off a bit. A player has to fit within the TPE, you can't trade it blank in conjunction with another player.

So for instance, Draymond at $22 million a year doesn't fit into the $10 million left of the TPE. Therefore, you can't combine the TPE with a player to get to the money needed to complete the trade.

But let's say Ainge sent Smart and Thompson and the TPE for Dray and let's say Wiseman(I know Wiseman would never be moved in such a trade but it's an example). Smart and Thompson gets the Dray part of the deal done then Wiseman's $9 million salary fits into the TPE, so that completes that part of the deal.

Hope that helps.
That definitely rings a bell! One of the many cap things I've read and since forgotten ;D

Thanks, TP

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 07:42:04 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

Well, first he has to get out of his deal with his current club before it’s an issue, as the Celtics are prevented from signing him to a contract per FIBA rules until that point.

If Yam does get out of his contract, then:

1) He can sign with another international team
2) Sign a 1-year, fully non-guaranteed contract with the Celtics, which is convertible to a 2-way contract
3) Sign a longer and/or more guaranteed contract with the Celtics
4) Sit out a year from professional basketball
5) Have the Celtics renounce his draft rights and become a free agent

I think 1) and 3) are the most likely, although 2) is also a real possibility.  4) and 5) are technically possible but seem highly improbable.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2021, 07:51:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Well, first he has to get out of his deal with his current club before it’s an issue, as the Celtics are prevented from signing him to a contract per FIBA rules until that point.

2) Sign a 1-year, fully non-guaranteed contract with the Celtics, which is convertible to a 2-way contract

I think 1) and 3) are the most likely, although 2) is also a real possibility.  4) and 5) are technically possible but seem highly improbable.
And, it might be that the most likely scenario is he can't get out of the contract and has to play another year in Israel.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2021, 07:56:20 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979

And, it might be that the most likely scenario is he can't get out of the contract and has to play another year in Israel.

Absolutely true. That said, he does have a buyout, so he can get out if his agent and/or the Celtics help him (and I think there’s also some suit he’s filed to say his contract is up this year).  I do think it more likely than not he find a new team for next year, Celtics or otherwise.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 08:15:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think that next year we try to run it back.  Bring back Fournier and Kornet.  Replace Semi with a first rounder. 

Hopefully we replace Waters.  Not sure about Tacko.

If we use the MLE or TPE, my guess it’s to replace a traded Tristan Thompson.

No fireworks, and that’s ok.  Continuity and development is most important right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2021, 08:28:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I think that next year we try to run it back.  Bring back Fournier and Kornet.  Replace Semi with a first rounder. 

Hopefully we replace Waters.  Not sure about Tacko.

If we use the MLE or TPE, my guess it’s to replace a traded Tristan Thompson.

No fireworks, and that’s ok.  Continuity and development is most important right now.
Replacing Semi with one of Jalen Johnson, Greg Brown, Isaiah Jackson, Franz Wagner (might be too high) or Isaiah Livers (likely a 2nd rounder) would be absolutely fine by me.

Would happily replace Waters with Yam to be honest. See nothing in Tremont.

Run it back with a roster of:
Kemba - Pritchard - Yam
Smart - Langford - Edwards
Brown - Fournier - Nesmith
Tatum - G Williams - Parker - 1st
Williams - Thompson - Kornet

I'd be pretty happy with that

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I don’t see any changes with this team..Sign Fournier & maybe keep Parker if he does alright..Get a big with the first pick and hope the young guys keep improving
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2021, 11:22:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

I expect that was just for this year and he’s in camp for the 2022 season. He’s already asked out of the last year of his contract with his Israeli team.

He’s 20, 6’3”, and has a Ricky Rubio skill set. I can’t imagine he’s worse than Waters or Exum and can spend some time in G League if he’s not ready.
Yam is not breaking his contract in Israel to come be a two way player. Is he’s coming to the US, it’s to be on the active roster, not as a two way.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 02:03:50 AM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 89

Yam is not breaking his contract in Israel to come be a two way player. Is he’s coming to the US, it’s to be on the active roster, not as a two way.

I never said otherwise. I said if he needs to spend some time in G-League to improve he can. Active roster players that aren’t getting enough NBA court time to develop are frequently sent down to the G League. It’s one of the reasons it exists.