Author Topic: Additional Rehabilitation Projects in the Off-season?  (Read 7909 times)

Re: Additional Rehabilitation Projects in the Off-season?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2021, 01:46:51 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
Definitely agree with 1-2 per season. If just one, I’d go with Exum. If two, Bender.

Walker/Pritchard/Exum/Edwards
Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

Assuming we can re-sign Fournier, would see about bundling Smart, both picks and Edwards (and/or GWill) to move up as high as possible in the draft. That would free up a spot(s) for Bender and/or Madar.
giving up a DPOY candidate in Smart, a backup bench big in GWill and 2 picks to make room for a proven bust Bender and a second-round stash in Yam?  horrible, horrible, horrible idea.
he said to move up in the draft.  Presumably he was talking about way up into the top 10 or maybe even top 5.
Doesn't make it much better and the chances that package gets us into the top 5 is pretty slim.  taking on constant reclamation projects rather than keeping proven talent is pure nonsense. 

also, you can't actually be arguing that this makes sense or is even feasible.   the one consistency you have above all else is the deflating of all Celtic assets such that we'd have to grossly overpay to get anything.  this trade, even by my typically optimistic standards, wouldn't net us a top 5 pick.
depends on the team of course.  I mean what if Golden State ends up with the 4th or 5th pick from Minnesota.  I could totally see a situation where they might want to go all in.  I mean there was at least chatter about Smart and 14 being used to move up to 2 last year.  I think GS would absolutely consider something like Smart, Thompson, G. Williams, 18 for Wiggins and 4/5.  I think that is a trade that on some level makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Boston can then take Green, Kuminga, Barnes, etc. and add another top level talent around Tatum and Brown.  GS saves some money and adds ready to win pieces to its core group while also increasing its depth. 

So Boston post-trade

PG - Walker, Pritchard, Edwards
SG - Brown, Fournier, Langford
SF - Wiggins, Nesmith, Ojeleye
PF - Tatum, Kuminga, Parker
C - R. Williams, Kornet, F.A.

That seems to balance out the roster a bit better and gives Boston a real high level talent to potentially become that 3rd piece.  And I get Wiggins' contract is huge, but he is having by far his most efficient season of his career this year and he just turned 26 so as a 4th option I think he'd work ok.

No way.  Wiggins contract is absurd.  He's improved from terrible to MLE-quality, and is making $65 million over the next two years.   Our top 4 salaries of Walker, Tatum, Wiggins, and Brown would be at least $121 million, plus some incentives in Jaylen's deal.  With a luxury tax of $136 million, the likelihood that Fournier is brought back would be near zero, as even excluding him this roster is at least $15 million over the tax line, and that's assuming Tatum doesn't make All-NBA this year.  The Celtics are likely going to be a tax team next year, but they're not going to be $35+ million over it.
You do realize that next year Smart will likely be paid 14.4 million, Thompson will be paid 9.7 million and Grant will be paid 2.6 million or collectively 26.7 million while Wiggins is at 31.5 million.  You are talking about less than 5 million difference.  Now a top 5 pick is also paid more than 18, but this idea that Boston isn't going to be well over the cap next year just isn't borne in reality as the contracts actually on the books next year already put Boston over the tax (without Fournier). 

You do this trade to get a top 5 pick.  A top 5 pick you hope leads you to a title because frankly that is Boston's only shot at a title.  The team just isn't good enough and isn't all that close without doing something drastic either.  So Boston pays the tax the next 2 seasons (maybe only 1 if Kemba opts out) and then really goes for it in 23-24 with Tatum and Brown on max deals and the top 5 pick still on a rookie contract, and all of the main competition aging itself out and hopefully Tatum as a top 5 player by then.  That is how Boston wins a title.  Doing nothing, just isn't going to lead to a title.  And it costs a lot to land a top 5 pick, but it is it worth it, as that is how you win titles.

You do realize that The #4-5 pick will be paid $7 million, and that the roster spot you've freed up also costs ~$2 million to fill?  That's how you get the extra $14 million in salary from this trade, unless you're proposing not to sign the top pick you've just traded for.

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2021, 02:44:27 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Definitely agree with 1-2 per season. If just one, I’d go with Exum. If two, Bender.

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

Assuming we can re-sign Fournier, would see about bundling Smart, both picks and Edwards (and/or GWill) to move up as high as possible in the draft. That would free up a spot(s) for Bender and/or Madar.
giving up a DPOY candidate in Smart, a backup bench big in GWill and 2 picks to make room for a proven bust Bender and a second-round stash in Yam?  horrible, horrible, horrible idea.
he said to move up in the draft.  Presumably he was talking about way up into the top 10 or maybe even top 5.
Doesn't make it much better and the chances that package gets us into the top 5 is pretty slim.  taking on constant reclamation projects rather than keeping proven talent is pure nonsense. 

also, you can't actually be arguing that this makes sense or is even feasible.   the one consistency you have above all else is the deflating of all Celtic assets such that we'd have to grossly overpay to get anything.  this trade, even by my typically optimistic standards, wouldn't net us a top 5 pick.
depends on the team of course.  I mean what if Golden State ends up with the 4th or 5th pick from Minnesota.  I could totally see a situation where they might want to go all in.  I mean there was at least chatter about Smart and 14 being used to move up to 2 last year.  I think GS would absolutely consider something like Smart, Thompson, G. Williams, 18 for Wiggins and 4/5.  I think that is a trade that on some level makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Boston can then take Green, Kuminga, Barnes, etc. and add another top level talent around Tatum and Brown.  GS saves some money and adds ready to win pieces to its core group while also increasing its depth. 

So Boston post-trade

That seems to balance out the roster a bit better and gives Boston a real high level talent to potentially become that 3rd piece.  And I get Wiggins' contract is huge, but he is having by far his most efficient season of his career this year and he just turned 26 so as a 4th option I think he'd work ok.

No way.  Wiggins contract is absurd.  He's improved from terrible to MLE-quality, and is making $65 million over the next two years.   Our top 4 salaries of Walker, Tatum, Wiggins, and Brown would be at least $121 million, plus some incentives in Jaylen's deal.  With a luxury tax of $136 million, the likelihood that Fournier is brought back would be near zero, as even excluding him this roster is at least $15 million over the tax line, and that's assuming Tatum doesn't make All-NBA this year.  The Celtics are likely going to be a tax team next year, but they're not going to be $35+ million over it.
You do realize that next year Smart will likely be paid 14.4 million, Thompson will be paid 9.7 million and Grant will be paid 2.6 million or collectively 26.7 million while Wiggins is at 31.5 million.  You are talking about less than 5 million difference.  Now a top 5 pick is also paid more than 18, but this idea that Boston isn't going to be well over the cap next year just isn't borne in reality as the contracts actually on the books next year already put Boston over the tax (without Fournier). 

You do this trade to get a top 5 pick.  A top 5 pick you hope leads you to a title because frankly that is Boston's only shot at a title.  The team just isn't good enough and isn't all that close without doing something drastic either.  So Boston pays the tax the next 2 seasons (maybe only 1 if Kemba opts out) and then really goes for it in 23-24 with Tatum and Brown on max deals and the top 5 pick still on a rookie contract, and all of the main competition aging itself out and hopefully Tatum as a top 5 player by then.  That is how Boston wins a title.  Doing nothing, just isn't going to lead to a title.  And it costs a lot to land a top 5 pick, but it is it worth it, as that is how you win titles.

You do realize that The #4-5 pick will be paid $7 million, and that the roster spot you've freed up also costs ~$2 million to fill?  That's how you get the extra $14 million in salary from this trade, unless you're proposing not to sign the top pick you've just traded for.
the trade adds about 10 million in salary.  If Boston isn't willing to go an extra 10 million over the line to actually become a contender, then what are they doing?  I mean that seriously, because right now Boston is going to be well into the luxury tax next year and isn't a realistic contender.  At least a trade like what I've proposed has a path to actual contention at some point in time with the existing roster. 

And I absolutely believe the team is going to move on from Smart if it re-signs Fournier, because they can't afford both and Smart is an expiring contract starting next summer (who will want a raise and isn't worth it). 

I want to win championships, so I'd take on a contract like Wiggins and suffer through it for 2 seasons if it meant landing a top 5 pick, because the simple reality is that is about the only way Boston is going to come close to a championship.  The team just isn't good enough.  I also absolutely believe that Boston could move on from Walker if it wanted to shed salary (the Clippers, Knicks, etc. certainly could have an interest in him).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2021, 03:13:32 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

the trade adds about 10 million in salary.  If Boston isn't willing to go an extra 10 million over the line to actually become a contender, then what are they doing?  I mean that seriously, because right now Boston is going to be well into the luxury tax next year and isn't a realistic contender.  At least a trade like what I've proposed has a path to actual contention at some point in time with the existing roster. 

And I absolutely believe the team is going to move on from Smart if it re-signs Fournier, because they can't afford both and Smart is an expiring contract starting next summer (who will want a raise and isn't worth it). 

I want to win championships, so I'd take on a contract like Wiggins and suffer through it for 2 seasons if it meant landing a top 5 pick, because the simple reality is that is about the only way Boston is going to come close to a championship.  The team just isn't good enough.  I also absolutely believe that Boston could move on from Walker if it wanted to shed salary (the Clippers, Knicks, etc. certainly could have an interest in him).

Sure, we'll use your lowball $10 million in salary add.  That's fine.   Let's suppose the baseline Celtics plan is to resign Fournier this offseason, add their draft pick, and add another player at the minimum.  Let's let Fournier sign for $17 million -- this year's salary.  It's a shallow free agency pool, and as we've seen with Hayward, it only takes one team, so he might get more, but he could conceivably get a little less.  $17M seems like a reasonable mid-point.  Anyway, that roster costs approximately $156 million in salary, or $20 million over the tax.  That adds up to a $45 million tax bill.  Your proposal adds $10 million -- the tax bill jumps from $45 million to $85 million.  The Celtics will jump from a very aggressive baseline assumption of paying $201 million for their team including $45 million in tax (which would be the 8th-highest tax bill ever) to $251 million and an $85 million tax bill (which would be the 4th-highest tax ever, behind only the 2013 Nets, and this year's Nets and Warriors).  And that's assuming that Tatum doesn't make All-NBA this year.  If he does, and there's a real shot, that's another $24 million in taxes, which brings your team to the highest tax bill in history.  Just to acquire the #5 pick?

It's just not happening.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:42:02 PM by Celtics2021 »

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2021, 04:30:28 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

that post-trade lineup has major holes at Center and at PF behind Tatum.  Unless Parker rediscovers his health and plays respectable defense while upgrading his 3-point shot, he's not the answer at PF either.  Timelord's always injured, I would not want to rely on Kornet or a pipe dream center FA to fill that starting hole for significant parts of the season.  also, Wiggins is having a good year -- emphasis on '"a".  if he'd played this way for a few years, yeah sure, he'd be worth the risk.  color me skeptical Wiggins has turned over a new leaf in his career.

If that draft pick is a center that can step in and play solid minutes -- solid defense and rebounding and able to at least finish around the rim -- then maybe but if there's a center like that in this draft he's going before 4 or 5 in the draft. 

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2021, 06:10:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

that post-trade lineup has major holes at Center and at PF behind Tatum.  Unless Parker rediscovers his health and plays respectable defense while upgrading his 3-point shot, he's not the answer at PF either.  Timelord's always injured, I would not want to rely on Kornet or a pipe dream center FA to fill that starting hole for significant parts of the season.  also, Wiggins is having a good year -- emphasis on '"a".  if he'd played this way for a few years, yeah sure, he'd be worth the risk.  color me skeptical Wiggins has turned over a new leaf in his career.

If that draft pick is a center that can step in and play solid minutes -- solid defense and rebounding and able to at least finish around the rim -- then maybe but if there's a center like that in this draft he's going before 4 or 5 in the draft.
Next year the team isn't a contender under basically any scenario.  Doing this trade is about 2 or 3 years down the line, when Tatum and Brown are fully in their prime and the top 5 pick has a couple of season under his belt.

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2021, 07:11:22 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

Next year the team isn't a contender under basically any scenario.  Doing this trade is about 2 or 3 years down the line, when Tatum and Brown are fully in their prime and the top 5 pick has a couple of season under his belt.
I understand but I really hate the idea of punting away another couple of seasons and then having to deal with Kemba leaving as a FA (probable scenario if Danny punts his last 2 seasons away) and not having much cap flexibility at that point. 

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2021, 07:47:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

You keep saying this over and over and over and over and over again, but it doesn't make it any more true. Sure, odds are at the end of the next few seasons you will be right, it usually will be when you play contrarian and you select the field over one team.

But, when this team is fully healthy and playing to their abilities, they can beat any team in this league in a 7 game series. This team's chances of winning it this year or next, provided healthy, are better than most teams in this league. The Celtics not winning it all is far, far from certain.

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2021, 08:00:54 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

I’m sorry, are you arguing that the Celtics should have potentially the highest payroll in history for a non-contender?  If the only thing thing that’s going to make us a contender is waiting 2-3 years for #4-5 pick to develop (because our 7-year veteran #6 pick doesn’t cut it), then we really should be tearing it all down.

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2021, 10:44:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

You keep saying this over and over and over and over and over again, but it doesn't make it any more true. Sure, odds are at the end of the next few seasons you will be right, it usually will be when you play contrarian and you select the field over one team.

But, when this team is fully healthy and playing to their abilities, they can beat any team in this league in a 7 game series. This team's chances of winning it this year or next, provided healthy, are better than most teams in this league. The Celtics not winning it all is far, far from certain.
The thing is I've been right on this.  Teams that historically win and even compete for titles have a top 5 player, a top 10ish player, and lots of depth.  As much as we wish that was the Celtics, it just isn't and it isn't going to be next year either.  Boston is far more likely to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs this year than even make the Finals let alone win a championship this year (to be clear I don't think Boston will lose to Atlanta or New York, just that is more likely than Boston beating them, and then going on to beat two of the Sixers, Nets, and Bucks).  Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is reality.

And I'll agree Boston has better odds than winning than most teams, Boston just isn't in the same class as the handful of true contenders.  Certainly could upset one of them, but isn't beating 3 or 4 of them (right now they'd have to play Milwaukee, then Brooklyn, then Philly just to get to whoever wins the West).  Boston isn't that type of team because they don't have the talent at the top that it takes to be that sort of team.  I absolutely believe Tatum is good enough to be that type of player in a couple of years and Brown is absolutely good enough to be in that 2nd tier range.  That said, assuming both of them hit 2 seasons down the line, is the supporting cast of Williams, Langford, Nesmith, etc. really going to be good enough.  I just don't like those odds.  Boston needs to find another guy that can be a real legit star to put with that pair.  It is why I wanted Boston to go hard after someone like Collins and why I'd move into the top 5 of this draft even if it means taking on someone like Wiggins.  Boston has to add another piece.

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2021, 10:46:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

I’m sorry, are you arguing that the Celtics should have potentially the highest payroll in history for a non-contender?  If the only thing thing that’s going to make us a contender is waiting 2-3 years for #4-5 pick to develop (because our 7-year veteran #6 pick doesn’t cut it), then we really should be tearing it all down.
Boston is going to have an incredibly high payroll anyway.  That is the point I'm making.  Another 10 million in salary to set your team up for a real shot is worth it.  And if it isn't, then what the heck are they doing. 

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2021, 12:12:39 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

Boston is going to have an incredibly high payroll anyway.  That is the point I'm making.  Another 10 million in salary to set your team up for a real shot is worth it.  And if it isn't, then what the heck are they doing.

It’s $50 million, not $10 million.  And it’s a #4-5 pick, which is far from some lock to turn a franchise around.  You really like digging in on things, don’t you?

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Maybe they finally get to sign Cousins in the off season and kick the tires to see if he’s really got anything left.

« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

It’s $50 million, not $10 million.  And it’s a #4-5 pick, which is far from some lock to turn a franchise around.  You really like digging in on things, don’t you?
You’ve no idea...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2021, 10:14:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

I said 10 million in salary.  Of course there is luxury tax, but the Celtics have been raking in the dough for years.  If they aren't going to spend money to do what it takes to win a title, then they should just sell the team. 

And to be clear, I don't think Boston is going to be in a position to acquire a top 5 pick.  It is just something they should try to do and the only way they can do that (without Tatum or Brown) is to take on a contract like Wiggins on a team that thinks it might be able to contend (so basically the Warriors).  The odds of that happening aren't 0, but aren't much higher than 0.  Boston needs to take some risks this summer or it is just going to be the same thing again and again. 

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2021, 03:48:40 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I agree that we should pay whatever luxury tax it takes to compete and if the owners are not willing to pay a significant tax they should sell the team. Anybody lucky enough go own the Celtics should realize that being the best is not cheap. Bet if you polled the 500 richest people in the country, at least 5 of them would be willing to pay whatever it takes to own the Celtics and make them champions.