Author Topic: Additional Rehabilitation Projects in the Off-season?  (Read 7923 times)

Re: Additional Rehabilitation Projects in the Off-season?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2021, 08:34:46 AM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
Definitely agree with 1-2 per season. If just one, I’d go with Exum. If two, Bender.

Walker/Pritchard/Exum/Edwards
Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

Assuming we can re-sign Fournier, would see about bundling Smart, both picks and Edwards (and/or GWill) to move up as high as possible in the draft. That would free up a spot(s) for Bender and/or Madar.

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2021, 08:39:05 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Langford
Nesmith
Grant Williams

I think that's enough projects for the team to work in this summer plus a possible rookie. 

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Definitely agree with 1-2 per season. If just one, I’d go with Exum. If two, Bender.

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

Assuming we can re-sign Fournier, would see about bundling Smart, both picks and Edwards (and/or GWill) to move up as high as possible in the draft. That would free up a spot(s) for Bender and/or Madar.
giving up a DPOY candidate in Smart, a backup bench big in GWill and 2 picks to make room for a proven bust Bender and a second-round stash in Yam?  horrible, horrible, horrible idea. 

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2021, 09:57:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Noel and Stanley Johnson the guy we wanted to trade 4 firsts for. What happened with SJ anyway. Just terrible now?

The four 1sts was for Justice Winslow.

Do you recall which four firsts they ended up being? Rozier, Hunter, Dancing Bear, and Zizic, right? Funny how Rozier was best of the five.
I think one of them was Tatum
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2021, 09:58:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

giving up a DPOY candidate in Smart, a backup bench big in GWill and 2 picks to make room for a proven bust Bender and a second-round stash in Yam?  horrible, horrible, horrible idea.
he said to move up in the draft.  Presumably he was talking about way up into the top 10 or maybe even top 5.

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2021, 10:50:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

he said to move up in the draft.  Presumably he was talking about way up into the top 10 or maybe even top 5.
Doesn't make it much better and the chances that package gets us into the top 5 is pretty slim.  taking on constant reclamation projects rather than keeping proven talent is pure nonsense. 

also, you can't actually be arguing that this makes sense or is even feasible.   the one consistency you have above all else is the deflating of all Celtic assets such that we'd have to grossly overpay to get anything.  this trade, even by my typically optimistic standards, wouldn't net us a top 5 pick. 

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 11:27:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

Doesn't make it much better and the chances that package gets us into the top 5 is pretty slim.  taking on constant reclamation projects rather than keeping proven talent is pure nonsense. 

also, you can't actually be arguing that this makes sense or is even feasible.   the one consistency you have above all else is the deflating of all Celtic assets such that we'd have to grossly overpay to get anything.  this trade, even by my typically optimistic standards, wouldn't net us a top 5 pick.
depends on the team of course.  I mean what if Golden State ends up with the 4th or 5th pick from Minnesota.  I could totally see a situation where they might want to go all in.  I mean there was at least chatter about Smart and 14 being used to move up to 2 last year.  I think GS would absolutely consider something like Smart, Thompson, G. Williams, 18 for Wiggins and 4/5.  I think that is a trade that on some level makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Boston can then take Green, Kuminga, Barnes, etc. and add another top level talent around Tatum and Brown.  GS saves some money and adds ready to win pieces to its core group while also increasing its depth. 

So Boston post-trade

PG - Walker, Pritchard, Edwards
SG - Brown, Fournier, Langford
SF - Wiggins, Nesmith, Ojeleye
PF - Tatum, Kuminga, Parker
C - R. Williams, Kornet, F.A.

That seems to balance out the roster a bit better and gives Boston a real high level talent to potentially become that 3rd piece.  And I get Wiggins' contract is huge, but he is having by far his most efficient season of his career this year and he just turned 26 so as a 4th option I think he'd work ok. 

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 11:40:01 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

depends on the team of course.  I mean what if Golden State ends up with the 4th or 5th pick from Minnesota.  I could totally see a situation where they might want to go all in.  I mean there was at least chatter about Smart and 14 being used to move up to 2 last year.  I think GS would absolutely consider something like Smart, Thompson, G. Williams, 18 for Wiggins and 4/5.  I think that is a trade that on some level makes a lot of sense for both teams.  Boston can then take Green, Kuminga, Barnes, etc. and add another top level talent around Tatum and Brown.  GS saves some money and adds ready to win pieces to its core group while also increasing its depth. 

So Boston post-trade

That seems to balance out the roster a bit better and gives Boston a real high level talent to potentially become that 3rd piece.  And I get Wiggins' contract is huge, but he is having by far his most efficient season of his career this year and he just turned 26 so as a 4th option I think he'd work ok.

It’s interesting, but I think we need to go the opposite direction. Don’t trade playoff-tested role players for future potential. I would be looking to see if Nesmith or Langford - who might be good players in a few years - could bring us a player who’s ready to contribute to a title run next year. Push the Js’ title window open.

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 12:17:05 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

No way.  Wiggins contract is absurd.  He's improved from terrible to MLE-quality, and is making $65 million over the next two years.   Our top 4 salaries of Walker, Tatum, Wiggins, and Brown would be at least $121 million, plus some incentives in Jaylen's deal.  With a luxury tax of $136 million, the likelihood that Fournier is brought back would be near zero, as even excluding him this roster is at least $15 million over the tax line, and that's assuming Tatum doesn't make All-NBA this year.  The Celtics are likely going to be a tax team next year, but they're not going to be $35+ million over it.

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2021, 12:40:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Players Not Projects.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2021, 01:13:00 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
Players Not Projects.

Yes sir, TP. Team is past having multiple projects.

If you include recent "not ready for prime time" draftees...we have about 5 projects (and I think that's generous) out of 17 players as. 30% of our roster. That's plenty.

Remember when everyone was complaining about our putrid bench? Since then, We traded a starter, a serviceable back-up and a project for a Starter level player, a useful 3rd stringer and a better project. And now we wish we had more projects?

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2021, 01:19:16 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Nerlens Noel be only guy I would get
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2021, 01:21:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Langford
Nesmith
Grant Williams

I think that's enough projects for the team to work in this summer plus a possible rookie.

I will quibble a little in that I don't see GWill as a "project", rehabilitation or otherwise.  He is what he is, a reliable player for the deep bench.  There is no rehabilitation or development to do with him.

To me, to be a rehab project, a player has to be coming back from playing well in an earlier time.  Parker fits that.  But to me, these young players are just projects if they have never been good.  Semantics aside, our "projects" for next season are:

Parker
Nesmith
Langford

All of these players have potential to come back next season meaningfully better and be in the core rotation.  RWill could be in that category but he also may be approaching his ceiling and already is in the core rotation.  He has been a project already for several years.

I like the projects that we have but I don't think we should be adding any more projects.  We will have a couple of draft picks to add and we have Yam Nadar stashed.  That is plenty.

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2021, 01:28:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Smart/Langford
Brown/Fournier/Nesmith
Tatum/Parker/Williams
TT/TL
2021 1st round pick

So Boston post-trade

No way.  Wiggins contract is absurd.  He's improved from terrible to MLE-quality, and is making $65 million over the next two years.   Our top 4 salaries of Walker, Tatum, Wiggins, and Brown would be at least $121 million, plus some incentives in Jaylen's deal.  With a luxury tax of $136 million, the likelihood that Fournier is brought back would be near zero, as even excluding him this roster is at least $15 million over the tax line, and that's assuming Tatum doesn't make All-NBA this year.  The Celtics are likely going to be a tax team next year, but they're not going to be $35+ million over it.
You do realize that next year Smart will likely be paid 14.4 million, Thompson will be paid 9.7 million and Grant will be paid 2.6 million or collectively 26.7 million while Wiggins is at 31.5 million.  You are talking about less than 5 million difference.  Now a top 5 pick is also paid more than 18, but this idea that Boston isn't going to be well over the cap next year just isn't borne in reality as the contracts actually on the books next year already put Boston over the tax (without Fournier). 

You do this trade to get a top 5 pick.  A top 5 pick you hope leads you to a title because frankly that is Boston's only shot at a title.  The team just isn't good enough and isn't all that close without doing something drastic either.  So Boston pays the tax the next 2 seasons (maybe only 1 if Kemba opts out) and then really goes for it in 23-24 with Tatum and Brown on max deals and the top 5 pick still on a rookie contract, and all of the main competition aging itself out and hopefully Tatum as a top 5 player by then.  That is how Boston wins a title.  Doing nothing, just isn't going to lead to a title.  And it costs a lot to land a top 5 pick, but it is it worth it, as that is how you win titles.

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2021, 01:38:39 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
reclamations are only good if its low cost, low risk.