Author Topic: Idea: Kelly Olynyk back for the MLE in the offseason?  (Read 6530 times)

Idea: Kelly Olynyk back for the MLE in the offseason?
« on: April 11, 2021, 09:48:48 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I'm not impressed with the play of either Grant Williams, Wagner or Kornet. For my part they can all leave after this season. So we need to add a quality stretch big to the roster. Why not take Kelly Olynyk back?
He would also add some BBIQ that we're lacking.

Re: Idea: Kelly Olynyk back for the MLE in the offseason?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25620
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He should be a top option.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 10:31:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Only if a major trade is made that puts Boston into the upper tier of teams.  Otherwise there is no point.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 10:54:19 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Older KO would do really well here, I think. CBS will love his shooting. He should still probably come off the bench though
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:10:42 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
Olynyk is kind of like Enes Kanter (see recent thread) in that he can put up some nice box scores, especially when playing for a team like Houston, but he will disappoint when he is on your roster if you are a contending team.  He might be an improvement over say Wagner but I don't think much if any better than say GWill or Oleleye.

I am not against having him on the bench depending on how the overall roster shakes out, but that is how I see him, a bench player.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Pass on him..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 415
Go get Lauri Markkanen
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 12:11:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Go get Lauri Markkanen

Where do we come up with $25+ million in cap space?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Olynyk is kind of like Enes Kanter (see recent thread) in that he can put up some nice box scores, especially when playing for a team like Houston, but he will disappoint when he is on your roster if you are a contending team.  He might be an improvement over say Wagner but I don't think much if any better than say GWill or Oleleye.

I am not against having him on the bench depending on how the overall roster shakes out, but that is how I see him, a bench player.

Hes a bench player, but he’s much better than either guy.  He played 15mpg on a team that went to the Finals.  Last season in the playoffs, he tripled Semi’s production, and doubled Grant’s.  He would have been fourth on our team in scoring per possession.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 12:53:06 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92

Hes a bench player, but he’s much better than either guy.  He played 15mpg on a team that went to the Finals.  Last season in the playoffs, he tripled Semi’s production, and doubled Grant’s.  He would have been fourth on our team in scoring per possession.

KO has been a bench player for most of his career, yet has still managed to average more points, rebounds, and assists than Grant and Semi combined. He is a good (and probably too willing) passer. He’s also several inches taller than either of those players.

He would be fine for 15-20 minutes a night. Yes, he’s putting up numbers on a poor team, but he has put up numbers on good teams as well. His main problem is that he isn’t consistent. 20 points one night and 8 the next. People get angry when he disappears. That said, I don’t see Grant or Semi ever grabbing 18 rebounds or scoring 30 in an NBA game. Kelly has.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 01:02:50 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

KO has been a bench player for most of his career, yet has still managed to average more points, rebounds, and assists than Grant and Semi combined. He is a good (and probably too willing) passer. He’s also several inches taller than either of those players.

He would be fine for 15-20 minutes a night. Yes, he’s putting up numbers on a poor team, but he has put up numbers on good teams as well. His main problem is that he isn’t consistent. 20 points one night and 8 the next. People get angry when he disappears. That said, I don’t see Grant or Semi ever grabbing 18 rebounds or scoring 30 in an NBA game. Kelly has.

If we're going to just kind of throw money at "meh" players why would we not trade the 2 second round picks to pheonix it would take to acquire Frank Kaminsky's 1.6 mil per year contract... he's a Kelly clone.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 02:20:32 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
If Olynyk keeps on playing like this he's getting way more than the MLE in the offseason.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 02:48:34 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2419
I am not that interested in a combo big PF/C. I would rather target a combo forward SF/PF. Someone with more quickness and defensive versatility on the perimeter. Someone who can provide depth behind Jaylen and Tatum.

If you do spend the MLE on Olynyk, I think you have to consider him your backup C. A game-changing type big man who switches the offense to a 5 out alignment and gives opposing teams something different to worry about. I see that as his best individual contribution to a team (any team). Then he adds some secondary value as a big slow footed PF in two big man alignments.

But the main point is, you have to adapt your mindset to an offensive orientated center who is not much of a shot-blocker and is a below average interior defender & rebounder. If you cannot accept that and you view Olynyk solely as a PF -- then he is not worth the MLE because he is too big and slow which makes him unable to offer enough defensive contributions to justify the expense (and he is not prolific enough / assertive enough on offense to justify it).

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3186
If Olynyk keeps on playing like this he's getting way more than the MLE in the offseason.

Kelly will get paid by someone. 10-12 million per. Bigs that can shoot and pass are too valuable.

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2021, 03:14:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1490
I am completely fine with KO off the bench for us next year.  He has the skills to be a complementary player with the J’s when playing with them as well.  Much better than Grant W as far as I am concerned.  As a bench guy / occasional starter for injuries he would be great.