Author Topic: Brown and Smart for KAT: Who Can Beat That Offer?  (Read 3755 times)

Re: Brown and Smart for KAT: Who Can Beat That Offer?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2021, 12:20:45 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This deal would NEVER happen. Lets say MIN did decide to trade Towns, which they wont until at least the offseason after this one because he still has three years left on his deal this summer. But if they did they arent going to make another guy with EXACTLY THE SAME LENGTH CONTRACT the centerpiece of the deal because then you have the exact same problem you had with Towns, only with a guy who you didn't draft and feels no connection to your organization.

A Brown for KAT straight up swap makes no sense, really for either team. People need to stop treating him like he's a prospect in these larger star deals. He's not anymore. The Celtics will do everything they can to ADD to him/Tatum before they deal brown, because three stars is how you reach true contender levels.

You seem to be pretty sure of what MIN may or may not do or want.  To me, if you decide to trade a player like Towns, you either want a major haul of picks along with expiring contracts (See Paul George or James Harden deals) or you may want to get players that are good now, such as Brown who is an all star and getting better, or most likely some combination of both.

If MIN wants picks and expirings, we are not the team that is going to get that done.  But Brown is a good start to a good offer and to me Brown + RWilliams is a really good start.  If it were me, I would rather have Brown, a proven player, than picks that carry all kinds of risk/uncertainty.  But I don't know what MIN would want or if there is even anything that would make them consider trading Towns.

If the Rockets trade is any indication, we can absolutely offer expirings and picks. HOU's final haul was Dante Exum, Rodion Kurucs, Kelly Olynyk, and Avery Bradley, along with 3 1sts and pick swaps.

An offer of say: Smart, Thompson, Nesmith, and two 1sts is much better than that. Throw in a couple of pick swaps for good measure.

I agree that Brown is an incredible starting point, though, and one that MIN would likely require from us, even if they aren't requiring the same level asset from another team.
they got four 1st rounders.  3 from Brooklyn and 1 from Cleveland, plus 5 picks swaps.  They traded Kurucs in the Tucker trade that brought them Wilson and Augustin.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2021, 11:37:11 PM »

Offline Boise To Boston

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 15
I would not trade Brown for KAT straight up. Brown is a better two way player who affects winning. Karl is a good stats bad team guy.

If we could make these moves to kickoff the off-season, we would be in a great position moving forward, but who can beat an offer of Brown and Smart for KAT?

https://tradenba.com/trades/rCoZoiyGh

If nobody can beat that offer and MIN takes it, alongside the Knicks giving us a TPE so they can secure Kemba, what are the odds of Beal forcing his way to Boston? If Beal said he’s only willing to play for Boston in 2022-beyond, I like our odds of getting him for picks + Kemba TPE. Certainly think this could be an intriguing roster for 2021-2022:

Pritchard/MLE/Edwards/Madar
Beal/Langford
Tatum/Nesmith
KAT/GWill
Timelord/TT

Pritchard and Timelord could be our 2021 version of 2008 Rondo and Perk. This really would be like the Big 3 all over again, getting Tatum the supporting crew he needs to win it all.

Aggregate effect of these moves shows everyone is a winner except for the Wizards as a result of Beal forcing his way out like PG-13 and AD did back in the day:

https://tradenba.com/trades/P7gSCkjJJ

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 01:16:01 AM »

Kiorrik

Kyrie is an all-time great.

I wouldn't trade Kemba for Kyrie straight up. At all.

I'm saying this, because I think we've finally found a group of guys that plays well together. They're coming into their own.

We just need some more exciting bench players and we're a top 5 team in the league, I reckon.

I would not touch our starting five. We've bought in to these guys. Trading everything now would crush the goodwill and chemistry we've built over the years.

Honestly. I don't think you can buy that.

I'm happy with this team's starting 5.