Author Topic: If the rumblings in Minny are true, is this KAT trade doable?  (Read 8589 times)

Re: If the rumblings in Minny are true, is this KAT trade doable?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2021, 09:24:40 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
I want nothing to do with KAT

Also Russell. Both dont know how to win

Do people still think Brown and Tatum know how to win after this year?

Well, this year isn’t over yet and they are 1.5 games out of the 4 seed. So....
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2021, 09:27:16 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
https://fadeawayworld.net/2021/03/30/nba-rumors-karl-anthony-towns-and-dangelo-russell-could-be-traded-in-the-summer/

How about a package of Time Lord plus young prospects and future picks? This could be like the Al Jeff for KG trade. We sacrifice a young stud which the fanbase really loves for an established All Star. KAT is only 25, so a JT/JB/KAT trio could contend for many years. Kemba would probably need to go as well in order to create room for KAT’s salary. Would this scenario be possible?

KAT is 25 and locked up long term. KG was 30 and he was either on the last year of his contract or had one more. Totally different scenarios. If you want KAT you are giving up JB.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:42 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Celtics don't have enough in the trade coffers to get Towns without giving up Jaylen or Tatum and I am not sure Towns is worth giving up one of those two at this point (given their own development).

I prefer the dependability, mentality and two-way games of Jaylen & Tatum over the under-performance of Towns who is an MVP player talent who should be a top 10 player at a minimum but is instead playing like an All-Star (top 20-25) because he doesn't want to work hard. I have no issues with the work ethics of Jaylen & Tatum. They may not have the same talent but they are close enough that I'd rather bet on their superior mentality / character.

D'Angelo Russell is a nothing player. No interest. Too much money on that contract. Too little talent. Empty stats guy.

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 09:59:54 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Hard to think what it might take to get Towns.  I would think a team with really good draft picks to offer.

As for the Celtics, we can start with Brown and RWilliams which is really good, but I am not sure if we can add enough of our likely picks to be the best offer.

Moving forward, [Tatum-Towns-Walker] > [Tatum-Brown-Walker] in my opinion.

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I want nothing to do with KAT

Also Russell. Both dont know how to win

Do people still think Brown and Tatum know how to win after this year?

Well, this year isn’t over yet and they are 1.5 games out of the 4 seed. So....

Exactly

While KAT led Wolves are annual basement dwellers

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2021, 11:47:41 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
So I'm not sure I would do a Brown for KAT trade. It feels like somewhat of a lateral move tbh. I mean KAT is probably overall better, but not really enough for it to matter and the fact that he plays terrible defense at the most important defensive position makes it hard.

But also, why does MIN do this deal? KAT and Brown have the same number of years left on thier deal, trading for a different star who will leave during his free agency solves none if MIN problems, might as well just hold onto KAT. If you want to flip Brown for KAT has to be a third team involved.

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2021, 11:54:52 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Honestly I think I’d prefer more of a facilitator at center.  I think Horford was pretty much the ideal for us.  It’s a reason I find Boogie to be intriguing at an ultra-low cost.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2021, 12:04:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Brown, Nesmith, Kornet, 21 1st (post draft), 22 1st for Towns (if needed add in the 24 1st with a lotto protection).

I'd absolutely do that.  I think that raises the ceiling and the title chances with Tatum quite a bit actually.

So post-trade with 2 spots and 2 TW spots (bringing back Fournier and Ojeleye)

Starters - Walker, Smart, Tatum, Towns, Thompson
Rotation - Pritchard, Langford, Fournier, Wagner, R. Williams
Deep Bench - Ojeleye, Edwards, G. Williams

I like that team better.  Has more balance and more options overall.  I'd probably try to move Kemba for a younger player to fit better with Tatum and Towns, but I think that team has a lot more potential. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2021, 12:26:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Brown, Nesmith, Kornet, 21 1st (post draft), 22 1st for Towns (if needed add in the 24 1st with a lotto protection).

I'd absolutely do that.  I think that raises the ceiling and the title chances with Tatum quite a bit actually.

I like that team better.  Has more balance and more options overall.  I'd probably try to move Kemba for a younger player to fit better with Tatum and Towns, but I think that team has a lot more potential.

Ya see this is where i run into issues. I dont think our ceiling rises much at all with that trade.

Much of it boils down to the fact that Towns has been pretty bad defensively, and it's very hard to win if your center isnt at least competent defensively. And then you have another weak link defensively in kemba. Maybe you can overcome that offensively, but if you're starting Smart/thompson your offense isnt gonna be good enough even with tatum/kat to make up for what will probably be a average at best defense.

And make no mistake, if we trade a couple firsts for KAT it makes it harder to move off kemba because we may require giving up draft pick(s) to do so.

I really have only one fundamental belief about this team right now. We need to ADD a third guy. Proposals where we swap Jaylen for some moderate upgrade dont do much for me. We're a .500 team, trading Jaylen for Towns isnt making us a contender. For Doncic? Sure. Giannis? Yes. But Towns isnt that level, neither is Beal.

Empty the system, 4 first, three swaps, R Will, smart to a third team for assets, all the young guys, ect and get another star to go all in with or clean up the books and add one via free agency. That's the path.

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2021, 12:35:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You know, I was going to comment on KAT's defense and then I realized, I haven't seen him play since early in the 2018-19 season.

Maybe he has gotten better defensively since then. But if he hasn't, no way I move a Jay for him. Elite two way wings are just way more valuable than great offense, little defense big men.

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 12:40:37 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Ya see this is where i run into issues. I dont think our ceiling rises much at all with that trade.

Much of it boils down to the fact that Towns has been pretty bad defensively, and it's very hard to win if your center isnt at least competent defensively. And then you have another weak link defensively in kemba. Maybe you can overcome that offensively, but if you're starting Smart/thompson your offense isnt gonna be good enough even with tatum/kat to make up for what will probably be a average at best defense.

And make no mistake, if we trade a couple firsts for KAT it makes it harder to move off kemba because we may require giving up draft pick(s) to do so.

I really have only one fundamental belief about this team right now. We need to ADD a third guy. Proposals where we swap Jaylen for some moderate upgrade dont do much for me. We're a .500 team, trading Jaylen for Towns isnt making us a contender. For Doncic? Sure. Giannis? Yes. But Towns isnt that level, neither is Beal.

Empty the system, 4 first, three swaps, R Will, smart to a third team for assets, all the young guys, ect and get another star to go all in with or clean up the books and add one via free agency. That's the path.
For me, Towns is just another level than Brown.  Brown is a good player, but he is a guy that you can't really build around because while he is very good at pretty much everything he isn't really all that elite at anything.  He is a super charged role player.  Very good, but not super elite.  Towns I just think is a vastly different level offensively.  I think he is about as complete as an offensive player as you will find.  He is a superb shooter, excellent passer and rebounder, etc.  And while he isn't a good defender, I think he has the potential to be at least average or good enough, but he is surrounded by terrible defenders so it is hard to gauge just what his defensive peak is.  I think Towns pretty clearly will be a top 10 player and has top 5 player potential.  Brown doesn't come close to that, and when I think Tatum has top 3 potential, I think even a moderate upgrade in the sidekick can yield huge results on whether or not a team can actually contend.  It is a lot easier to find a 3rd player when you have two top 10 players, then it is when you don't.  So I'd absolutely move Brown + some future picks for Towns and wouldn't give it a second thought.  I wouldn't trade Brown for Beal though, as I don't think Beal is a top 10 player and he never will be. Towns could be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2021, 03:24:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I still don't know if that is enough to get it done, Moranis.   I  would start  Rob at 5 and Towns at 4, though.  I am not a big fan of TT.

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2021, 04:37:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Honestly I think I’d prefer more of a facilitator at center.  I think Horford was pretty much the ideal for us.  It’s a reason I find Boogie to be intriguing at an ultra-low cost.
KAT has averaged 4.4 assists per game over his last two seasons. Almost identical assist % to Big Al and Boogie in their primes, he's made significant strides as a playmaking big.
He's also the best shooting big in the competition, and if he keeps up this volume at this percentage then he'll probably go down as the best shooting big of all-time.

He'd be costly, but I think he could return to All-NBA form
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2021, 04:51:17 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Minnesota gets
Brown
Smart
Thompson
Grant

Boston gets
Towns
Russell

Sorry folks but I would do it! Don’t know if Minnesota would
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2021, 04:57:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Minnesota gets
Brown
Smart
Thompson
Grant

Boston gets
Towns
Russell

Sorry folks but I would do it! Don’t know if Minnesota would
Really not hot on Russell. Would rather work around a Brown & Smart for KAT, Juancho and Jaylen Nowell. Gives us some cheap depth for the long-term, and gives Minnesota the 2nd and 3rd best players in the deal
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)