Author Topic: I really don’t like this draft for where BOS will be picking  (Read 13935 times)

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
This draft seems like the opposite of last years - top heavy but not deep.

I’m going to assume the Celtics will be selecting in the 16-22 range, and the only types of players I’m seeing projected to be available there are project bigs and guards who don’t shoot it well. A lot of underclassmen as well. I’d prefer a player like Pritchard who is seasoned and ready to come in and contribute off the bat, but those guys just seem like slim pickings this year.

Idk it just makes me wish Danny would have dangled our 1st this year to bring in more established talent - maybe he tried idk. Maybe he’s got his eye on another injury prone G/F since he seems to like those recently.

I will say the one guy I like in that range is David Duke out of Providence - unfortunate name but he can ball.

Side note- it is bizarre that the draft is less than 100 days away...seems like yesterday we took Nesmith & Pritchard...

Re: I really don’t like this draft for where BOS will be picking
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 10:53:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Maybe he has an offseason target that wasn't available yet and the pick (or the player picked) is more useful to getting that player then what they could have gotten now.

Or maybe it was the other cost along with that pick (Smart) that kept him from making such a move.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I don't like any draft for where the Cs will be picking in 2021, unless they keep losing a lot. I like Ainge in the Top 5 picks or the bottom 5 picks of the 1st round. The rest has been not so good.

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
I don't like any draft for where the Cs will be picking in 2021, unless they keep losing a lot. I like Ainge in the Top 5 picks or the bottom 5 picks of the 1st round. The rest has been not so good.

True but you’d be hard pressed to find any GM who drafts particularly well in that middle range.

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 11:34:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We’ve gotta take BJ Boston, right?  It’s destiny.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 11:38:41 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
How much left on the Hayward TPE, about $9-10 mm?  Package that with our pick for Larry Nance or someone like that. We should have creative off season options.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2021, 11:50:26 AM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
How much left on the Hayward TPE, about $9-10 mm?  Package that with our pick for Larry Nance or someone like that. We should have creative off season options.

Hmm not a bad thought.

Some other names who are in that salary range who could probably be had with a similar package...

Marvin Bagley
Dario Saric
Chris Boucher
Jusuf Nurkic
Davis Bertans
Kyle Kuzma

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2021, 12:03:56 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru

True but you’d be hard pressed to find any GM who drafts particularly well in that middle range.

This is the classic CsBlog excuse. Draft's a crap shoot, no GM is perfect etc. If I had a nickel for every time I'e heard it...

The notion that no GM is good at finding players in the late lottery (or later) is just not accurate. I just think too many posters pick on Ainge for things he's actually pretty darn good at, and make excuses for him on this particular topic.

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 10:19:48 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
When it comes to PFs there isn't a lot of separation guys ranked 4-10. So getting one mid 20s will be okay for me. If they take a different playing position they better be packaging a current guy on the roster with the pick and moving to the teens. DA needs better roster management. He has botched it the last 3 seasons (one could argue since Yabu).

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 10:53:21 AM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
This is probably wishful thinking but I don't think the Cs will be picking a player for themselves.  I think the reason DA didn't offer up any firsts for trades is he wants to try to use them in the offseason to trade for Beal or KAT if they become available.

For Beal or KAT I can see a Kemba trade or a sign and trade the Fourier and parts (i.e. TT) with lots draft compensation attached.

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 10:53:41 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

About $11.5m left on the TPE.

Can definitely add a useful player this offseason.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This is the classic CsBlog excuse. Draft's a crap shoot, no GM is perfect etc. If I had a nickel for every time I'e heard it...

The notion that no GM is good at finding players in the late lottery (or later) is just not accurate. I just think too many posters pick on Ainge for things he's actually pretty darn good at, and make excuses for him on this particular topic.

I don't. Danny is straight trash in the draft. Without the Brooklyn picks this team would be trash.

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2021, 11:41:45 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

The premise of this thread is that we should have traded our 2021 first round pick for an established player.  The insinuation was that since Danny is such a bad drafter in this range of picks vs. other ranges that this simply reinforces that Danny should have traded the pick.

Drafting is a crap shoot, even the #1 pick.  Just ask Philly how Fultz turned out or Sacramento how Pervius Ellison turned out and so on.  That is why teams that are trying to rebuild through the draft tend to stock pile more picks than it appears they need.  They know roughly half the picks will underperform or be flat out busts.

I am all for trading picks for established players for just this reason but it is hard to sit here and say it was a big mistake to not have traded the pick already.  Other GM who have established players are not going to just give them away for late picks.  Past their prime salary dumps, sure, but a legitimate starting level PF for example?  Not so easy.

The 2021 pick has more value going into this draft than it did a year ago.  Let's see how this all works out.

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2021, 11:50:38 AM »

Offline PaxtonDarcy

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 20

I don't. Danny is straight trash in the draft. Without the Brooklyn picks this team would be trash.

Lol, you basically just made the point you're trying to undermine.... "without the brooklyn picks (danny ainge) this team is trash."

The logical fallacies that fly around this blog never cease to amaze.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2021, 12:45:23 PM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52

Lol, you basically just made the point you're trying to undermine.... "without the brooklyn picks (danny ainge) this team is trash."

The logical fallacies that fly around this blog never cease to amaze.

I agree with this point