Author Topic: Top NBA players under 25 years old.  (Read 9005 times)

Top NBA players under 25 years old.
« on: March 18, 2021, 05:19:52 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1431
For players under 25 years old, who do you have ahead of Jaylen and Jayson?

Doncic
Jokic (too old)
That’s all I got....
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 09:48:54 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Top players under 25 years old.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 05:32:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Doncic and Jokic are ahead of JT (by a pretty significant margin).

Zion is ahead of Brown in my opinion. SGA vs Brown vs Mitchell is an interesting debate for me too. I think I like the other two more than Brown in that debate.
I have Brown, Ingram, Bam, Booker and Fox all on the same tier, with Jamal Murray and John Collins a tier below that. So basically:

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 05:35:44 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Ben Simmons and KAT would be on that list.

Lamelo Ball is making a case too

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think you will hear a bunch saying Zion, Simmons, SGA, maybe Mitchell. But I think none of them are clearly better than the Jays, at least right now.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 05:36:46 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Oh Trae Young too

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 05:39:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Ben Simmons and KAT would be on that list.

Lamelo Ball is making a case too
KAT is 25

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 05:46:05 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Zion is ahead of Brown in my opinion. SGA vs Brown vs Mitchell is an interesting debate for me too. I think I like the other two more than Brown in that debate.
I have Brown, Ingram, Bam, Booker and Fox all on the same tier, with Jamal Murray and John Collins a tier below that. So basically:

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

I’d rather have Jaylen over Zion. He’s a poor shooter and his conditioning is an issue. 280+lbs on a 6’6” frame. That’s worrisome

I like Mitchell, but he’s a small guard. Just 6’ even. He’s strong and has a good length, but I’d still take Brown. It’s close, though.

I haven’t watched much of SGA, so I can’t comment on that. His stats are comparable, though.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 05:47:09 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
Robert Williams III

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
For players 25 years of age and under, who do you have ahead of Jaylen and Jayson?

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....
I'd take Luka, Jokic, Cade Cunningham and Zion (assuming he stays healthy) over both Tatum and Brown.

In a vacuum, I'd take plenty of players over Brown: KAT and SGA, probably Bam and Mitchell. I'm on the fence about Ja, Ingram, Booker, Simmons, LaMelo (haven't watched enough of him)

Specifically for the C's, I'd rather have Brown over Mitchell. Brown is better suited to play second fiddle next to Tatum. Mitchell is better suited to be the go-to guy. He wouldn't be the go-to guy if he were playing next to Tatum.

other names worth considering that I wouldn't take over Brown: Christian Wood, Sabonis, Murray, Trae Young (I'm super low on him)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:03:15 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 05:58:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Doncic
Jokic

Tatum

Zion

Mitchell
SGA

Brown
Bam
Booker
Ingram
Fox

Collins
Murray

I’d rather have Jaylen over Zion. He’s a poor shooter and his conditioning is an issue. 280+lbs on a 6’6” frame. That’s worrisome

I like Mitchell, but he’s a small guard. Just 6’ even. He’s strong and has a good length, but I’d still take Brown. It’s close, though.

I haven’t watched much of SGA, so I can’t comment on that. His stats are comparable, though.
He might be a worse shooter, but Zion's overall efficiency is much better. He's also a comparable passer, despite being significantly younger. I think his ability to generate free throws at will is a very useful skill too.

Mitchell might be small, but he's the lead offensive option on the best team in the league. Better passer and volume shooter, as well as a better scorer. Worse rebounder and shooter inside the arc, and worse on defence.

SGA is better on offence because of his passing, but worse on defence. Basically personal preference

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 06:05:51 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
For players 25 years of age and under, who do you have ahead of Jaylen and Jayson?

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....
I'd take Luka, Jokic, Cade Cunningham and Zion (assuming he stays healthy) over both Tatum and Brown.

In a vacuum, I'd take plenty of players over Brown: KAT and SGA, probably Bam and Mitchell. I'm on the fence about Ja, Ingram, Booker, Simmons, LaMelo (haven't watched enough of him)

Specifically for the C's, I'd rather have Brown over Mitchell. Brown is better suited to play second fiddle next to Tatum. Mitchell is better suited to be the go-to guy.

other names worth considering that I wouldn't take over Brown: Christian Wood, Sabonis, Murray, Trae Young (I'm super low on him)

You would rather have Cade Cunningham, who has never played a minute in the NBA over Jaylen and Jayson. If he’s that good, shouldn’t he be averaging a triple double in College and just be absolutely dominating the competition? Don’t get me wrong, he looks like a top prospect, but [dang]....

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2021, 06:09:40 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....

Specifically for the C's, I'd rather have Brown over Mitchell. Brown is better suited to play second fiddle next to Tatum. Mitchell is better suited to be the go-to guy.

You would rather have Cade Cunningham, who has never played a minute in the NBA over Jaylen and Jayson. If he’s that good, shouldn’t he be averaging a triple double in College and just be absolutely dominating the competition? Don’t get me wrong, he looks like a top prospect, but [dang]....
Yeah, that’s pretty crazy. He could be Evan Turner or he could be Grant Hill - we have no idea.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....

Are we talking about right now or in terms of building a team around these guys? If we're talking about the former, then gimme both the Jays over Cunningham. Since we're ranking young players, I assumed we were supposed to factor in their potential ability as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 06:20:53 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 06:22:57 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....

Are we talking about right now or in terms of building a team around these guys? If we're talking about the former, then gimme both the Jays over Cunningham. Since we're ranking young players, I assumed we were supposed to factor in their potential ability as well.

Either way, why isn’t he just killing everyone in college if his ceiling is that high?

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2021, 06:27:00 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Doncic
Jokic
That’s all I got....

Either way, why isn’t he just killing everyone in college if his ceiling is that high?
That's exactly what he's doing. Unfortunately for him, he's playing for a relatively small school. Here's a quote from the ringer. It's from February 17. Most of his numbers are even better right now.

''Like Anthony Edwards, the no. 1 pick in last year’s draft, Cunningham didn’t go to a traditional basketball powerhouse. He chose Oklahoma State because his older brother was hired as an assistant coach at the school. There isn’t another top-50 recruit on the roster. The difference between Cunningham and Edwards, who struggled on a bad Georgia team last season, is that the former is polished enough to win games by himself in college. He leads the Cowboys (13-6, no. 23 in the AP poll) in points (18.6 per game) and steals (1.4), and is second in rebounds (6.1) and assists (3.5), and third in blocks (1.0). He plugs holes on both ends of the floor, and closes games late on offense''.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/2/17/22284032/cade-cunningham-nba-draft-2021