Author Topic: Trade Deadline Rumors  (Read 71688 times)

Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I agree with you.

What do you propose to make our .500 team better?

Almost any one we get is going to be better than the lower end of our bench in contributions,  Grant, Green, Carsen and Waters is who I mean.   Heck you could almost say Romeo and Nesmith too as one is always hurt and one the coach doesn't trust.   We are a 7-8 deep team who lacks depth.   I think we had some depth problems last year and even more so this year.

I would try to move Thompson for some depth players, if LA wants him ask for Kuzma and a piece.   If Tor wants him  to trade Baynes away for Thompson, I would ask for draft capital or one of their cheap young guys that is decent for us taking Aaron off their hands.   I would push for Boucher as he plays the same position as Siakam or AG but I think their both a reach.    That would most likely kill the deal but you never know, we are the ones taking a bad contract and deserve something.   Powell would be ideal but I doubt they would do it.    I would offer ATL their pick or Romeo or Nesmith, and two firsts.   I would try to use the Kanter TE with a 2nd rounder tied to it to get more depth in a team selling.    Pulling all this off would take a miracle.

I would worry if Rob can stay healthy as well if we trade Thompson and I don't trust Tacko.   Whomever we got would have to be willing or able to play small ball five just in case.   

I don't think it would be hard to make our team better Footey, it's making it a viable contender that would be hard.

But your asking a rank amateur here in terms of GMing and proposing trades.   I rarely do it because nothing seems like things would work out because I am such a homer.....

TP, well thought out.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2021, 01:43:36 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Quote from: Chris Mannix @SI
Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier are available, as is All-Star center Nikola Vucevic. The Magic have been looking for point guard help, kicking the tires on Ricky Rubio recently. Celtics guard Kemba Walker remains a favorite of Magic coach Steve Clifford, but it’s unlikely Boston, without much depth behind Walker, will part with him at this point.
https://www.si.com/nba/2021/03/16/nba-trade-rumors-storylines-to-follow

He also reports that the Celtics will likely ''pursue Barnes right up until the deadline''.

To sum up:
- Gordon, Fournier are available
- the Magic like Kemba
- the C's like Barnes

How about this trade?

C's starting lineup after the trade

PG: Smart
SG: Brown
SF: Barnes 
PF: Tatum
C: Theis/Thompson/Timelord

6th man: Fournier

Good ideas, but Orlando offloading Fournier and Gordon doesn’t deserve a Kemba return. What if we just went after those two players for a combo of guys like Nesmith, Theis, and some pieces to stay under the hard cap?

Not saying I’m married to it but the idea is keeping our top 4 while adding two really high level role players. One under contract, one off the books next season. Fournier might walk but might also be sign-and-trade bait, or be a valuable guy if he wants to stay.

https://tradenba.com/trades/R7Sh6v420
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2021, 02:15:22 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier are available, as is All-Star center Nikola Vucevic. The Magic have been looking for point guard help, kicking the tires on Ricky Rubio recently. Celtics guard Kemba Walker remains a favorite of Magic coach Steve Clifford, but it’s unlikely Boston, without much depth behind Walker, will part with him at this point.

He also reports that the Celtics will likely ''pursue Barnes right up until the deadline''.

To sum up:
- the Magic like Kemba
- the C's like Barnes

How about this trade?

Good ideas, but Orlando offloading Fournier and Gordon doesn’t deserve a Kemba return. What if we just went after those two players for a combo of guys like Nesmith, Theis, and some pieces to stay under the hard cap?

Not saying I’m married to it but the idea is keeping our top 4 while adding two really high level role players. One under contract, one off the books next season. Fournier might walk but might also be sign-and-trade bait, or be a valuable guy if he wants to stay.

I'm assuming Gordon would be headed to the Kings and we'd get Barnes. Wouldn't do it cause I'm low on Fournier, but that's just me.

Not sure whether we could re-sign Fournier and still use the full TPE. The luxury tax would explode through the roof. Chances are we could either re-sign him and use a small part of the TPE or let him walk and use the full TPE.

If you ask me, I'd view Fournier as a rental. I'd be perfectly fine with letting him walk (unless of course we can't attract a better player via the TPE). Basically, the trade would be Kemba for Barnes + cap relief. As things stand right now, I don't think we can realistically expect to use the full TPE.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 04:44:48 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2021, 02:15:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

To sum up:
- the Magic like Kemba
- the C's like Barnes

How about this trade?

this isn't a horrible deal.  not sure we get a whole lot better though.  offhand I'd say C's and Kings may have to kick in a bit more -- Orlando giving up 2 decent players.  Might cost the C's a second rounder and the Kings may need to kick in a young mediocre prospect.

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2021, 05:59:36 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

If ORL is open for business and likes Kemba, we should be talking to them. There's all types of two team and three team trades that would be available.

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2021, 03:29:37 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Danny Ainge:

“That’s another thing is with all the free agents that we have in the market this year. There’s a lot of players in the last year of their contracts. We really don’t have interest in acquiring a player that’s going to be a free agent (in the offseason) that’s probably going to get a lot more money than we think he’s worth.”

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 03:32:09 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Danny Ainge:

“That’s another thing is with all the free agents that we have in the market this year. There’s a lot of players in the last year of their contracts. We really don’t have interest in acquiring a player that’s going to be a free agent (in the offseason) that’s probably going to get a lot more money than we think he’s worth.”

So no John Collins, for those playing along at home.

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 03:39:50 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Danny Ainge:

I would assume no Oladipo / Markkanen either.

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 03:40:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Danny Ainge:

Or Lonzo Ball, or Lauri Markkanen...which is too bad, because I would love Ball and one of Collins/Markkanen.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Danny Ainge:

I would assume no Oladipo / Markkanen either.

For certain no Dipo unless they're willing to max him.  I'm not as sure Markkanen gets quite as big of an offer this summer, so if the Celtics liked him, I could see him being an option.  His RFA status is more likely to limit offers than Collins, I think.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2021, 03:45:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Danny Ainge:

Or Lonzo Ball, or Lauri Markkanen...which is too bad, because I would love Ball and one of Collins/Markkanen.

I just find this type of thing discouraging. If Danny won’t add pending free agents because he is worried about what they will be paid, what does that say about the future? Contracts are going to be artificially low this off-season due to the pandemic.  If anything, it is a chance to lock guys up long-term for less than they would have been making under normal circumstances.

I guess it’s Harrison Barnes or bust.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 03:48:11 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I really be surprise if Ainge makes a trade
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2021, 03:52:24 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I really be surprise if Ainge makes a trade

I am not happy about it either, but I believe you are correct.
Really surprised if anything happens before the deadline.

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2021, 03:55:14 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
Danny Ainge:

I just find this type of thing discouraging. If Danny won’t add pending free agents because he is worried about what they will be paid, what does that say about the future? Contracts are going to be artificially low this off-season due to the pandemic.  If anything, it is a chance to lock guys up long-term for less than they would have been making under normal circumstances.

I guess it’s Harrison Barnes or bust.

The other way to look at it is there’s little reason to keep Theis.  He’s an expiring who’s worth more to other teams than the Celtics in FA given the two-big rotation.

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Danny Ainge:

Wouldn't necessarily include Lonzo in that list. Danny said we won't go after players that will probably become overpaid. I expect Dipo, Collins and Markkanen to become overpaid. Not sure what to expect of Lonzo. He's a very versatile player, but he cannot consistently create his own shot. The way the game has evolved, most teams want instant offense from their starting PG. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a team that would be willing to overpay Lonzo.