Author Topic: NFL 2021 Season  (Read 175474 times)

Re: NFL 2021 Season
« Reply #225 on: April 29, 2021, 11:06:20 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Why did Waddle go before Smith?

Bigger, faster, better route runner?

Smith won’t the headman, right? I just don’t get it. Same team but the Heisman winner gets passed over. Game won’t translate to the league?

« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2021, 11:15:14 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Smith won’t the headman, right? I just don’t get it. Same team but the Heisman winner gets passed over. Game won’t translate to the league?
Waddle was injured at the start of the 5th game.  Had foot surgery but somewhat miraculously made it back for the championship game albeit at 60%.  Before the injury, Waddle was generally considered 1A to Smith's 1B.  Both should translate well to the league and both are high character guys.   

« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2021, 11:19:50 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Najee to the Steelers is the 6th Bama player taken.  Need either Dickerson or Barmore to be taken to break the record for most 1st round picks from a team. 

« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2021, 11:22:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Fields
Jones

1-2 of these guys are bound to bust. Which one(s)?
Lance and Wilson are the bust guys, IMHO.

Jones probably not the best of the group, but due to fit and the situation he is walking into, might have the most success early in their careers

« Reply #229 on: April 30, 2021, 01:17:05 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Mac Jones’ middle name is McCorkle

I don’t know if that’s a positive or negative for the Pats 😂
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #230 on: April 30, 2021, 01:30:29 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I'm always a bit wary of Alabama QBs projecting to the NFL.  With WRs like Devonta Smith, Jaylen Waddle, John Metchie, etc., Jones just gets to play a different game than other college quarterbacks.  He'll likely never have overwhelmingly dominant pass-catchers like that at the next level. 

Still, he can see the field and he has the arm.  We'll see what he does with it.  I'm not down on him... just cautious.

Given where we were picking I think we did as best as we could given the circumstances.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #231 on: April 30, 2021, 02:29:10 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
That otherworldly completion percentage has to be what has New England's attention. Both Tua and Jones put up huge numbers with similar supporting casts at Alabama, but 77.4% is the all-time NCAA record, bar none, and in the context of a national championship.

He may not have the highest ceiling in the draft, but that floor is pretty high. An elite decision maker with accuracy and even an average arm can put up 3500+ yards and 25+ touchdowns with low turnovers in New England, and that's coincidentally good enough to contend for Super Bowls with our coaching and defense.

« Reply #232 on: April 30, 2021, 02:50:16 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Waddle was injured at the start of the 5th game.  Had foot surgery but somewhat miraculously made it back for the championship game albeit at 60%.  Before the injury, Waddle was generally considered 1A to Smith's 1B.  Both should translate well to the league and both are high character guys.

Thanks. TP

« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2021, 08:23:48 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Fields
Jones

Jones probably not the best of the group, but due to fit and the situation he is walking into, might have the most success early in their careers

I don't have the exact stats but I bet at least half of first round QB picks disappoint.  For sure, Wilson and Lance seem to higher risk/higher ceiling with Fields and Jones feeling like you have a better idea of what you are getting.  Time will tell, but I don't know for sure that Lawrence will be the best.  There is risk and uncertainty all around with any drafted QB, including #1 picks.

Jones should be a solid starting NFL QB in a year or so.  Somewhere between Garoppolo and Brady at his peak.  I know, a wide range, but that is my point.  Same could be said of any of the 5 although with Lance and Wilson, it is not as certain that their floor is.

« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2021, 09:13:52 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Lawrence
Wilson
Lance
Fields
Jones

I don't have the exact stats but I bet at least half of first round QB picks disappoint.  For sure, Wilson and Lance seem to higher risk/higher ceiling with Fields and Jones feeling like you have a better idea of what you are getting.  Time will tell, but I don't know for sure that Lawrence will be the best.  There is risk and uncertainty all around with any drafted QB, including #1 picks.

Jones should be a solid starting NFL QB in a year or so.  Somewhere between Garoppolo and Brady at his peak.  I know, a wide range, but that is my point.  Same could be said of any of the 5 although with Lance and Wilson, it is not as certain that their floor is.

I'd rate them as least likely to bust to most likely as:

Lawrence
Jones
Wilson
Lance
Fields

I'd swap Wilson and Jones if I weren't considering teams, but the Jets track record with QBs is terrible.

« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Wilson look like a choir boy instead of a QB..
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #236 on: April 30, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wilson look like a choir boy instead of a QB..

I just learned that his uncle founded JetBlue.  Pretty wild.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #237 on: April 30, 2021, 09:41:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m still a little shocked the Bears got Fields.  I don’t trust their front office at all, but I think the experts overthought this one.  The kid can play.  Lazy comparison, but he reminds me of Dak.

Anybody think the Niners regret paying such a huge package to get up to #3?  They could have gotten a better QB for less than half the cost.  I’m not sure I understand Lance being valued more highly than Fields.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:17:11 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #238 on: April 30, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I’m still a little shocked the Bears got Fields.  I don’t trust their front office at all, but I think the experts overthought this one.  The kid can play.  Lazy comparison, but he reminds me of Dak.

Anybody think the Niners regret paying such a huge package to get up to #3?  They could have gotten a better QB for less than half the cost.

Historically, all teams end up regretting these kinds of "all in" trades to get one player.  Expect Bears will regret it too.  Or at least I can say am glad that the Pats didn't make this kind of trade.  No one knows if Fields will be better than Jones at this point.

Not sure I follow the second half though.  If they thought Fields was a better QB, they would have taken him at 3.  Not sure it can be stated that they could have gotten a better QB if they had picked later.  Maybe the same QB.

« Reply #239 on: April 30, 2021, 10:23:11 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

Anybody think the Niners regret paying such a huge package to get up to #3?  They could have gotten a better QB for less than half the cost.

My best guess is that the Niners thought they could ultimately make a move for Aaron Rodgers, as reportedly those conversations have been happening for a while.  The Dolphins made out like bandits.