Author Topic: Cam Newton returns - Schefter and The Globe  (Read 11563 times)

Cam Newton returns - Schefter and The Globe
« on: March 12, 2021, 09:48:09 AM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Patriots are expected to re-sign QB Cam Newton to a one-year deal, as The Boston Globe reported. It is a 1-year deal worth up to $14 million for Newton to return to New England, per source.

Ugh

Re: Cam Newton returns - Schefter and The Globe
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2021, 09:57:46 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
This sounds like the type of deal you make if you’re hoping to draft a QB early and want to make sure he has real competition, but not competition he can’t eventually beat if he lives up to expectations.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2021, 10:10:49 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 622
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 10:12:17 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Seems liked things were headed this way in terms of another stopgap year at QB.

Will be interesting to see how/if the Pats address QB at all in the draft.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 10:12:32 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Ugh, well I guess it's another year of unwatchable, boring offense and no chance at playing any meaningful games.

If Bill doesn't want to do the necessary work of rebuilding he should move on or retire. That's my official position.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maybe Stidham has a shot at playing now. Any other QB would put Stidham out of the running. I expected Cam to be back but not happy about it

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I think, this is an insurance policy, one to help lure WR's in free agency.  Now they have a name in the QB spot, but will also mentor a draft pick.  I think they're looking at the Newman, Mond, and Mills.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They could do better.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 10:24:10 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I think, this is an insurance policy, one to help lure WR's in free agency.  Now they have a name in the QB spot, but will also mentor a draft pick.  I think they're looking at the Newman, Mond, and Mills.

How on earth is signing Cam Newton going to entice FA WR’s? Newton can’t hit a stationary target with a pass. He literally sails passes 5 yards over his receivers heads and on screen passes consistently throws the ball into the ground. He’s a great athlete, but a terrible QB.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 10:32:30 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I personally can't wait to watch Cam underthrow his receivers on 10 yard passes.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 10:37:14 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Makes me think that they decided the price was too high on decent QBs on the trade market. 

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2021, 10:37:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'm okay with the Pats being mediocre, even bad.

I'm not okay with the mediocrity coinciding with them being boring to the point of being unwatchable. I'm not okay with it coming as a result of their unwillingness to commit to a rebuild (not the same as tanking).

If you're gonna be bad, you should at least be fun. Throw deep passes. Rack up yards. You know, be like the Buccaneers were before Tom Brady went there.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 10:39:27 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Makes me think that they decided the price was too high on decent QBs on the trade market.

That, and they're deluding themselves into thinking that the Pats having some close games at the start of last season was a sign they could be competitive, rather than standard early season noise before opponents adjusted. They likely think they can still compete with this game plan from 1985 of defense and a heavy run game.

Probably looking at another 6-7 win season.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2021, 10:49:23 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This sounds like the type of deal you make if you’re hoping to draft a QB early and want to make sure he has real competition, but not competition he can’t eventually beat if he lives up to expectations.

Yep, sounds like they want to address the QB position in the draft, but not hand him the keys right away. Cam Newton was singing Belichick's praises a month or two ago, so you have to think that him fitting in with the culture has a good deal to do with him signing on again. Cam seems like a good guy and he has had success in the past, so it's possible we could bounce back, but I am not really holding my breath.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 10:55:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
My problem with Cam as stopgap / mentor is that he doesn't play a style of football that any team should try to build toward unless they've already got a superstar who fits that style.

Far and away the style of play that's going to win you meaningful games is to have a passing offense that is both consistent and occasionally explosive.  Cam Newton does not have the skillset for that style.  If the Pats aren't going to throw a rookie QB to the wolves, that's fine by me.  I'd rather they sign Fitzpatrick or somebody like that.  A pocket passer who will throw a lot of short passes and occasionally attempt a deep ball.  They shouldn't spend another year trying to acclimate the offense to running plays from 1985.
- Mark Twain