Author Topic: Every time I watch Bane it makes me a little sick.  (Read 37315 times)

Re: Every time I watch Bane it makes me a little sick.
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2021, 06:36:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge blew it on Desmond.  Never should have picked Grant.  The list grows every year.   I think our scouting department needs to be revamped

Remy Cofield - College Scout, General Manager, Maine Red Claws
Adam Lewin - College Scouting Manager
Benas Matkevicius - International Scout

These guys for whatever reason ain't getting it done or Ainge ignores them.

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2021, 07:29:41 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Ainge blew it on Desmond.  Never should have picked Grant.  The list grows every year.   I think our scouting department needs to be revamped

Remy Cofield - College Scout, General Manager, Maine Red Claws
Adam Lewin - College Scouting Manager
Benas Matkevicius - International Scout

These guys for whatever reason ain't getting it done or Ainge ignores them.

Family comes first ....if Danny is fired then so is his sorry son

« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2021, 07:37:31 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Neither bane or bey woulda seen significant playing time.  The Celtics need a facelift at coach and gm.  After awhile, almost doesn’t cut it.

« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2021, 08:23:38 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Bane is having a nice rookie year.  He is one of those older rookies, already older than both Nesmith and Langford.  Bane has been a surprise, probably better than the Celtics scouting thought but you could say that about most every team.

I think the reason we didn't take him is that we already have two young players that play about the same role.  Bane is a 6'-5" SG/Wing, pretty much just like Langford and Nesmith.  So we went with Pritchard with the late pick and traded the last pick over getting a 3rd young SG/SF type.

There are lots of ways this could have been done.  We could have taken a big at 14 instead of Nesmith and taken Bane late, but I still think Nesmith will figure it out and be fine.  All the bigs that I liked had already been taken by 14.

Every draft seems to have a Jimmy Butler or a Draymond Green that gets taken late but becomes the steal of the draft.  Maybe Bane is that guy in this draft.  I just don't see this as reason to grab the pitchforks and storm the Garden to have Ainge fired.

And I totally don't buy this "Stevens never plays rookies" thing.  Nesmith isn't ready.  Pritchard is.  One gets to play, the other not so much.  In terms of development of rookies, this is a tough year.  No summer league and no real preseason/training camp.  So yes, Nesmith's development has suffered but Pritchard has done fine.  Bane seems to have done fine (both older).

« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2021, 08:52:35 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bane has been a surprise, probably better than the Celtics scouting thought but you could say that about most every team.

This is usually how I assess things. If a guy falls to 30th in the draft, I can’t blame a team for not taking him. The vast majority of the league looked at him, and passed. 

I know that it looks bad, because we traded the pic that became Bane.  However, I really don’t think we would have taken another wing.  If we had stayed at number 30, I think that we would have taken either Tilman or Carey.

I think that the pic that Danny ultimately will be judged on is Nesmith.  He was my top choice, but the other guy that looked really good for us pre-draft was Bey.  Fair or not, I think that those two will be judged alongside one another.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2021, 09:24:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Theo Maledon looks like he will be a much better pro long term than Bane.  Significantly younger and showing real PG skills.  He is the guy that we missed on.  Bane is a dime a dozen type player.  Having a solid rookie year because he stayed in college longer and is more ready, but I don't see Bane as being much more than he is right now i.e. a solid shooter off the bench type player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2021, 09:34:01 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Theo Maledon looks like he will be a much better pro long term than Bane.  Significantly younger and showing real PG skills.  He is the guy that we missed on.  Bane is a dime a dozen type player.  Having a solid rookie year because he stayed in college longer and is more ready, but I don't see Bane as being much more than he is right now i.e. a solid shooter off the bench type player.

Maledon was a guy I wanted.  My draft would have been Nesmith, Maledon, Tillman.  Bey would have been my second choice to Nesmith.

It will be interesting to see how Prichard versus Maledon works out in the long run.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
Family comes first ....if Danny is fired then so is his sorry son

That is true, but how many times in real life have we seen nepotism fail an organization.   It happens all the time.   Move Austin to another job.

Neither bane or bey woulda seen significant playing time.

They are better than half the guys on the team.  I disagree with your assessment.   Both of them are upgrades over Nesmith and Romeo at this point.  I think Bey would play.   We are desperate for help, and on a team that is playing Grant Williams 18 MPG Bey would be playing ahead of him.  He is taller, and a better shooter and defender.

Doesn't change the fact, that there are tons of guys year after year that do not pan out or we miss on.    Size gets ignored and athleticism is second fiddle to characters.   This is also true of free agents, etc.  Who doesn't think Dwight Howard could have helped us against Embiid or some of the other guys we've sat pat on while other teams have loaded up but hey are guys are good people and great team mates.   That is important but I think there has been a gross over reaction to Kyrie with the good culture stuff.  We need talent and guys who can play.  Maybe some veterans over the good league level types.

I think that the pic that Danny ultimately will be judged on is Nesmith.  He was my top choice, but the other guy that looked really good for us pre-draft was Bey.  Fair or not, I think that those two will be judged alongside one another.

It's fair, and right now we are losing the judgment.   However, it is early and jury is still out on Aaron   

I think we need to decide and the league may have decided for us this year.   Which mode we are in?   Are we in contend Mode or a developing team?   I think moves on the other teams have knocked us out of contention.   I know we have had Covid absences etc, and this is a weird season but every team has had some of that stuff.    It will be a big mistake to think this is why were not competitive this year.   Ainge wanted to see what we have this year, I think it is clear, we need to improve our bench.

Fournier I hope helps in that regard.

But year after year there are guys we miss on, and that is true of every team but some teams sure do seem better at finding diamonds in the rough.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:52:02 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2021, 10:22:10 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Bey of Detroit was the player I was hoping for with 14th pick
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2021, 11:28:45 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

WE could've had Bey, Pritchard, and Bane. Shooting, Shooting, shooting!

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2021, 11:36:52 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Well, if we live by this model, we could've had Giannis too.  C'mon people, Danny has forgotten more about basketball than y'all probably ever knew.  I trust him and yes, there are some picks I question, but maybe, as an ex-NBA player, he saw something.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2021, 11:51:30 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
C'mon people, Danny has forgotten more about basketball than y'all probably ever knew.  I trust him and yes, there are some picks I question, but maybe, as an ex-NBA player, he saw something.

True, but this also cuts both ways what pray tell did he see in Grant Williams?

If we were winning we would not be having this discussion.

« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2021, 11:56:39 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Well, if we live by this model, we could've had Giannis too.  C'mon people, Danny has forgotten more about basketball than y'all probably ever knew.  I trust him and yes, there are some picks I question, but maybe, as an ex-NBA player, he saw something.

That is the problem, Danny seems to be forgetting a lot.

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2021, 11:56:40 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
9.9PPG with Memphis in just over 23MPG   

So Kemba/Smart/Payton/Brown and as Bane.   I don't think he would have sniffed the rotation in the PG/SG?   

Kemba 30
Smart  24
Payton 18
Brown  24

Brown slides some minutes at the 3..I just dont see him getting the chance here like in Memphis. 
Diggles

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2021, 11:59:05 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
C'mon people, Danny has forgotten more about basketball than y'all probably ever knew.  I trust him and yes, there are some picks I question, but maybe, as an ex-NBA player, he saw something.

True, but this also cuts both ways what pray tell did he see in Grant Williams?

If we were winning we would not be having this discussion.

I recall watching the draft and commentators saying the GWill pick was really good.

From CBS Sports:

22. Boston Celtics: PF Grant Williams, Tennessee

What is he exceptional at? He's exceptional at playing basketball. He's not as tall or athletic, no, but he played in the most athletic league in the country and got where he wanted to get. Look back at a recent drafts -- at a different position: The same things people say about Grant Williams, they said about Fred VanVleet, Jalen Brunson. NBA GMs are learning: Just take guys who are awesome at basketball. Grade: B

From The Ringer:

22. Boston Celtics: Grant Williams, F, Tennessee
The Celtics are taking advantage of having so many first-round picks to attack the draft in multiple ways. Langford was a classic buy-low pick—a player who might have been drafted lower than he should have because of extenuating circumstances (in this case, a broken thumb). Williams is the opposite. The junior big man was one of the most dominant players in the NCAA last season, but concerns about his athleticism and lack of an NBA position caused him to slide to the end of the first round. The key for Williams, who played out of the post in college, is to become more of a 3-point shooter. He could certainly make the transition. He’s an excellent midrange shooter with a high basketball IQ and a soft touch around the basket. If he extends his shot, he has a chance to dramatically outplay his draft position in Boston.

Grade: A

There are more of these, but the TV broadcast that night thought it to be a very good pick.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."