Author Topic: Every time I watch Bane it makes me a little sick.  (Read 37291 times)

Re: Every time I watch Bane it makes me a little sick.
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2021, 11:16:16 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
I wanted Quickly with either 26 or 30 at the time 😒
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2021, 11:41:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If it makes you feel any better, Bane probably wouldn't be playing much more than Nesmith has.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2021, 11:44:43 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bane was never really my hoped for target.  I don't think Danny would have taken him at #30; I suspect we would have gone big, with either Tilman or Carey.

He has looked pretty good as a role player so far, but does anybody project his ceiling as anything other than a below-average starter?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2021, 03:43:37 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
If it makes you feel any better, Bane probably wouldn't be playing much more than Nesmith has.

Maybe not but you can't have too many shooters.

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
Bane was never really my hoped for target.  I don't think Danny would have taken him at #30; I suspect we would have gone big, with either Tilman or Carey.

He has looked pretty good as a role player so far, but does anybody project his ceiling as anything other than a below-average starter?
If you get a below average starter at #30, you are doing very good.  Is Nesmith's realistic ceiling any more than below-average starter? 

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2021, 06:26:38 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I really wanted bane and Pritchard in the draft and now Bane is starting for The Grizz. I know there are those on here that have players that they feel this way about. Players with more talent than Bane. It's just he would've been such a good fit. We wouldn't be shopping for a shooter with size now. He's shooting 44% from 3 on almost 4 attempts per game....

It's also not like Tyler Herro were you are bummed because he was picked a spot before our pick.

You should really stop watching those Memphis Games. Danny just prefers a bench that consists primarily of G league caliber misfits. Bane would not have fit in. It just wasn’t going to work out.  :P
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2021, 06:43:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

If you get a below average starter at #30, you are doing very good.  Is Nesmith's realistic ceiling any more than below-average starter?

Nesmith’s upside certainly is, yep.  An elite shooter with excellent length who has shown an ability to volume score who has an excellent work ethic?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2021, 06:55:53 PM »

Offline todd_days_41

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 1074
  • B2B 2022 and 2023 Trade Deadline Guru
I like Bane, in the lil bits I've seen him. I'd rather have him than Semi and two future 2nd round picks. But then again..... I'd rather eat glass than watch Semi play basketball. However, assuming he can walk and chew gum at the same time (still very much in question), I'd rather any minutes that would have gone to Bane go to Nesmith.

That said, I agree with Roy -- I think Ainge would have picked Tillman if he'd kept the pick (and wished he would've). Again, I'd rather have him than Semi and two future 2nds.

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2021, 08:29:51 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Nesmith’s upside certainly is, yep.  An elite shooter with excellent length who has shown an ability to volume score who has an excellent work ethic?
Bane showed he was an elite shooter over 3 full college seasons and even in his freshman season shot 38% from three.  Nesmith showed his elite shooting over 14 college games predominantly against lousy teams.  Excellent length isn't worth much unless it is combined with excellent defense and/or excellent athleticism.  No indication that Nesmith has better work ethic than Bane.  Nesmith isn't even that much younger than Bane.   

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Bane showed he was an elite shooter over 3 full college seasons and even in his freshman season shot 38% from three.  Nesmith showed his elite shooting over 14 college games predominantly against lousy teams.  Excellent length isn't worth much unless it is combined with excellent defense and/or excellent athleticism.  No indication that Nesmith has better work ethic than Bane.  Nesmith isn't even that much younger than Bane.   

That’s fairly silly analysis, particularly the downplaying of length.

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 08:51:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Last I checked, judging the quality of draft picks based solely on their first 36 games, isn't a good idea. Let's see where these guys' games are after a few seasons.

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2021, 08:58:07 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Last I checked, judging the quality of draft picks based solely on their first 36 games, isn't a good idea. Let's see where these guys' games are after a few seasons.

True but unless one of those second round picks we got for Bane turns into something I think it was already a bad deal.

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2021, 10:47:32 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Could've used Bane making open shots tonight.

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2021, 07:54:19 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I think if Danny showed any ability as a GM these misses would be more palatable, but essentially he's gotten nothing more than JAG value outside of Tatum and Brown from the draft for like two decades straight.

It's probably time for him to step back to Director of Basketball operations and let someone else manage the team.

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2021, 08:23:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
BANE!

Of my existence!