Author Topic: Every time I watch Bane it makes me a little sick.  (Read 37290 times)

Re: Every time I watch Bane it makes me a little sick.
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2021, 10:12:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Somewhat of a tangent, but I feel quite vindicated by how strong the 2020 draft was for role players, as I said it would be. From the first round there are only four players not playing 10+ minutes a night - Jalen Smith, Zeke Nnaji, Leandro Bolmaro and Udoka Azubuike. Three project big men and a Euro stash.

That seems like a pretty solid number for a draft that was heralded as the worst since Anthony Bennett was the #1 pick.
On the other hand, there appears to be zero generational stars, zero future top 10 type guys, possibly only one All-NBA type guy and maybe 2 All-Star types.....maybe.

Yes, a whole bunch of role players, but as a total draft, devoid of real top end talent, it makes it a bad overall draft, as I thought. Drafts aren't usually judged by how many role players it creates. The are judged by how many stars it creates.

So in that way, I feel vindicated.😁
I was really high on Ball and still think he could be a top 10 player in his peak.  I think Edwards very well could be a scoring title champion.  Wiseman certainly looks like a potential All NBA center.  Haliburton has shown at least all star level skills.  And I wouldn't count out the super young guys like Advija, Williams, and Okoro from developing into a solid all star/all defense type players. Sure there is no Zion and maybe no Morant (I think Ball could be as good as Morant) in that draft, but I do think it could be a lot better at the top than 2019 (outside of Zion of course). 

2018 is the best draft of more recent times.  Doncic, Ayton, Young at the top top with guys like SGA, Porter, and Jackson and Bagley (if they get healthy), plus defensive beats like Robinson and really solid starter level players like Brunson and the Bridges, is just a massively good draft and that doesn't even account for guys like Robert Williams, Wendell Carter Jr., etc.  2018 in my mind, is the best draft since 2012.  I don't think 2020 will be that good, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see it better than 2019, 2017, and some others when all is said and done because most of hte top level guys are just super young and raw.  They could flame out of course, but that is why you can't judge these things until a couple of seasons are done.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2021, 09:36:46 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Somewhat of a tangent, but I feel quite vindicated by how strong the 2020 draft was for role players, as I said it would be. From the first round there are only four players not playing 10+ minutes a night - Jalen Smith, Zeke Nnaji, Leandro Bolmaro and Udoka Azubuike. Three project big men and a Euro stash.

That seems like a pretty solid number for a draft that was heralded as the worst since Anthony Bennett was the #1 pick.
On the other hand, there appears to be zero generational stars, zero future top 10 type guys, possibly only one All-NBA type guy and maybe 2 All-Star types.....maybe.

Yes, a whole bunch of role players, but as a total draft, devoid of real top end talent, it makes it a bad overall draft, as I thought. Drafts aren't usually judged by how many role players it creates. The are judged by how many stars it creates.

Oh yeah, for sure. That was why I wanted us, a team with two All-NBA calibre wings and a fringe All-Star PG, to buy into that draft. Could have plugged some holes in our bench.

Instead we traded out and persevere with some very average players
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2021, 02:45:05 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Oh yeah, for sure. That was why I wanted us, a team with two All-NBA calibre wings and a fringe All-Star PG, to buy into that draft. Could have plugged some holes in our bench.

We traded out one guy. It's not like the two guys we drafted moved any needle this year. And it's not like any guy we would have gotten at #30 would have move the needle towards contention either.

I mean, sure, as rookies Pritchard and Nesmith have shown promise, overall their impact has been negligible. Would grabbing one other guy like them have made any difference this year? I doubt it.

What this team needed was a defensive oriented 4 that could score and some veteran 3&D players at other positions. The emphasis being veteran, defense and shooting. There just wasn't any of that at #30.

« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2021, 03:30:30 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

We traded out one guy. It's not like the two guys we drafted moved any needle this year. And it's not like any guy we would have gotten at #30 would have move the needle towards contention either.

I mean, sure, as rookies Pritchard and Nesmith have shown promise, overall their impact has been negligible. Would grabbing one other guy like them have made any difference this year? I doubt it.

What this team needed was a defensive oriented 4 that could score and some veteran 3&D players at other positions. The emphasis being veteran, defense and shooting. There just wasn't any of that at #30.
I don't agree at all. I think Tillman is exactly what this team needed as a backup 4/5 insofar as he plays good defence, passes, is a good short roller and can stretch the floor enough to be a threat. Infinitely would have preferred him to Semi and Grant.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't agree at all. I think Tillman is exactly what this team needed as a backup 4/5 insofar as he plays good defence, passes, is a good short roller and can stretch the floor enough to be a threat. Infinitely would have preferred him to Semi and Grant.
Jerami Grant or Harrison Barnes would have been just what this team needed this year. A rookie that scored 2 points per game more and grabbed 2 rebounds more per game over Grant Williams and maybe might not have picked up the defense quickly, like his fellow rookies didn't, would have done nothing for this team.

Maybe what Tillman will become in 3-5 years would be what the Celtics needed this year, though even that is debatable given how poorly this team has played and how much they were affected by injuries and Covid, but rookie Tillman being what the team needed  this year is a fairly ridiculous comment given everything we have seen happen to this team this year.

Would Tillman have fixed the team's bad defense all by himself? The iso heavy offense? The god awful starts that cause them to fall behind by 20 so much? The turnover problems? The player games missed that caused a severe lack of chemistry? And the craptastic other bench players like Semi, Edwards, Javonte Green, Grant, Waters and Tacko, were they suddenly all going to get better if Tillman was here? Was Stevens coaching decisions going to get that much better because of Tillman?

Come on gouki, you're better than that. You know Tillman wouldn't have made the team any better this year. You might have preferred watching him over a couple other players, but Tillman would not have made this team appreciably better.

And neither would Bane have. They might have been nicer pieces moving forward, but they wouldn't have made any difference this year.

« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2021, 08:40:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
And the craptastic other bench players like Semi, Edwards, Javonte Green, Grant, Waters and Tacko, were they suddenly all going to get better if Tillman was here?

Green would have been cut, so it’s already a step in the right direction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2021, 09:32:21 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435

I think it would have moved the needle this season and going forward. Considering the C’s score on average 112.9ppg and their opponents 111.3ppg, having another solid bench player such as a Tillman or Bane instead of G-League talent like Grant, Edwards, Waters and Tacko would have made a difference. Boston will most likely stay in the 7th seed and have to go through the play in. If the standings stay as is, they get the Nets first round which is the worst case scenario for the C’s. Couple more wins would have been huge.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:50:02 AM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2021, 10:10:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
Bane tonight with 2-5 from 3 3 rbs and 5 assists 0 turnovers. Could've used another passer.

« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2021, 06:30:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Better than Grant for sure, but it is water under the bridge.   Desmond Bane is not walking through that door, folks. ;D

« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Bane had a nice game in a win!

« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Tillman was better tonight than Thompson.

« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2021, 05:24:14 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2021, 06:28:40 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Better than Grant for sure, but it is water under the bridge.   Desmond Bane is not walking through that door, folks. ;D

But as consolation, we can hope Grant goes out the door

« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2021, 08:21:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tillman was better tonight than Thompson.

You will never let Danny forget lol

Bane and Tillman would have been upgrades over Grant and Edwards

« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2021, 05:04:18 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Bane is not looking good today.