Author Topic: Can We Talk About Scal?  (Read 35275 times)

Can We Talk About Scal?
« on: January 29, 2021, 05:16:41 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
While us diehards are busy taking stock of the team, I figured we could carve out a few moments to discuss Scal’s performance so far.

I’m taking a “Give him time to grow into the role” approach. But I must say, many of Scal’s shortcomings displayed in previous seasons are still there: He thinks he’s smarter than he is, he misunderstands people and then overreacts to those misunderstandings, and he’s weirdly aggressive toward Abby (but apparently he’s joking?).

This is the first year I’ve actively sought out the national broadcasts when I have the choice between local and national. It’s a shame because I LOVE Gorman. I just haven’t come around on Scal yet.

Am I alone?

Re: Can We Talk About Scal?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 05:23:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I hate his personality. I can’t stand people that act like he does. He tries to start debates and is condescending about it.  There’s only so much I can take of do wine with that personality. It’s just an eye roller. He wants to prop himself up about being right about something. I’m not interested in whether Scal calls something and he can be right or wrong. After Tommy it’s an impossible task to follow but I at least would prefer more of a Celtics fan. I’m sick of hearing this guy who never improved his fitness with the Celtics ( in fact got fatter) get praised fir being an intelligent basketball mind.
 He stunk fir us as a player and he acts like a jerk . I’d love somebody new. I can’t read like Gorman’s mind but I feel bad he has to be with him after Tommy( although Scal isn’t as bad within the game itself).

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
I hate his personality. I can’t stand people that act like he does. He tries to start debates and is condescending about it.  There’s only so much I can take of do wine with that personality. It’s just an eye roller. He wants to prop himself up about being right about something. I’m not interested in whether Scal calls something and he can be right or wrong. After Tommy it’s an impossible task to follow but I at least would prefer more of a Celtics fan. I’m sick of hearing this guy who never improved his fitness with the Celtics ( in fact got fatter) get praised fir being an intelligent basketball mind.
 He stunk fir us as a player and he acts like a jerk . I’d love somebody new. I can’t read like Gorman’s mind but I feel bad he has to be with him after Tommy( although Scal isn’t as bad within the game itself).

Yeah he just comes across as really insecure. During the bad moments it seems like he’s trying to desperately to be the smartest guy in the room.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2021, 05:46:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I have generally liked his commentary in the past, but I do think he seems different this year. I’m not sure if that is because he is working remotely on the road broadcasts, if he’s trying too hard, etc., but it’s been noticeable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 05:51:55 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Maybe Kevin McHale could replace him.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 06:13:40 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
You are not alone.

I don’t hate his personality, but I don’t enjoy it either.  Listening to him for 2 1/2 hours can get a little grating.

I’ve noticed for years that he and Abby don’t get along. She needles him and he overreacts. 

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 06:35:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Get Cedric Maxwell in there.

They need someone with a bit of personality.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2021, 06:37:12 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
A lof of the complaints I see about Scal seem to be from the pre/post game stuff and how he interacts with Abby, and since I'm out of market, I never get to see him on those, so I can't comment there.

But personally I think he's great doing games.  I like his personality, seems to be able to laugh at himself most of the time.  Only rarely do I ever think he sounds like his opinion is superior as a former NBA player.  Usually sounds like he's having fun.

Also feel like he's usually right on the nose when calling out the strategy.  Out of a timeout, end of quarter plays, etc.  Gorman asks what's Brad/other head coach is going to do, and Scal usually calls it before it happens.  I'm usually very impressed with that.

So for the games, I think Scal is great.  Though I wonder if I'm turning into the minority, because I've seen many people calling him out this year. 

Another side note: late last year I felt Gorman was turning into Marv Albert, calling out the wrong score/lead/deficit, mixing up the players, etc. often enough that it was noticeable.  I know a few people here noticed it too.  But I haven't noticed any of those same problems this year.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2021, 06:37:24 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Get Cedric Maxwell in there.

They need someone with a bit of personality.

Only if he never says “quack” again.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2021, 06:53:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Was fine with Scal in prior years and even thought he'd be fine following Tommy as the new color guy with Mike but this year he's been pretty much unwatchable outside of the games and that's impacted how much I can stand him during games.  Maybe it's me but even Mike has a different interaction with him this year during games and it's not working.

wouldn't mind them bringing in other people in Scal's place to see how they do.  Maxwell's been the radio guy for years, let's give him more of a run on TV.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 06:55:47 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
During the game he seems fine, but post game I've actually been pretty disappointed with his commentary.. His aggressiveness toward Abby is noticeable, and he seems to talk down on her for posing questions that the fan base seems to have.  Almost like they're bad questions or a waste of time.

The other night she asked about if Jaylen was a top 10 player and he got mad about it, and thought it was ridiculous, but then said very shortly afterward that he thinks Jaylen might be a top 10 player by the end of the year, and Tatum will be a top 5 player.... It just seems really out of touch that sort of commentary.  Brown is playing as a top 10 player RIGHT NOW.  If you want to look at body of work, he isn't... But CURRENT performance puts Brown way up there currently.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2021, 06:57:29 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I've also noticed times where Mike will ask him questions like...

You think Dwight Howard is a Hall of Fame player? and Scal seems to laugh it off like Dwight wasn't a three time Defensive Player of the Year or led his team to a Finals.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2021, 07:20:51 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
During the game he seems fine, but post game I've actually been pretty disappointed with his commentary.. His aggressiveness toward Abby is noticeable, and he seems to talk down on her for posing questions that the fan base seems to have.  Almost like they're bad questions or a waste of time.

The other night she asked about if Jaylen was a top 10 player and he got mad about it, and thought it was ridiculous, but then said very shortly afterward that he thinks Jaylen might be a top 10 player by the end of the year, and Tatum will be a top 5 player.... It just seems really out of touch that sort of commentary.  Brown is playing as a top 10 player RIGHT NOW.  If you want to look at body of work, he isn't... But CURRENT performance puts Brown way up there currently.

Yeah he seems more focused on scoring points against Abby than he does in being a normal human being during pre and postgame commentary.

I have said my piece in this thread, so I should zip it. But the Abby stuff really bothers me. She's clearly just a great person who is trying to represent the fan contingent.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2021, 07:38:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I dont hate it but Im not a fan either. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2021, 07:39:47 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Maybe Kevin McHale could replace him.

I wish. There is no one I'd rather listen to during a game! It's not even close.