Author Topic: Idiotic Basketball Questions  (Read 14435 times)

Idiotic Basketball Questions
« on: January 18, 2021, 10:42:58 AM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'm going to ask these questions here so I don't disrupt the basketball areas of the forum with questions which are likely to be annoying in their simplicity. I do at all times try to find answers to these questions via Google first but sometimes what I find doesn't make sense.

My first is what does it mean when a team has bonus under their score? My understanding is they get it when the other team fouls five times in a half Nd it means that any foul from then on automatically leads to two free shots regardless of where on the court the foul occurred. Only thing is I was watching a match the other day where an offensive foul occurred, without bonus, and the defending team immediately got two free shots.

Second, why do some players have numbers after their names? I don't mean the shirt number, I mean immediately after their name, for eg. a player might be number 26 but after his surname he has III.

Re: Idiotic Basketball Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 11:16:01 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I'm going to ask these questions here so I don't disrupt the basketball areas of the forum with questions which are likely to be annoying in their simplicity. I do at all times try to find answers to these questions via Google first but sometimes what I find doesn't make sense.

My first is what does it mean when a team has bonus under their score? My understanding is they get it when the other team fouls five times in a half Nd it means that any foul from then on automatically leads to two free shots regardless of where on the court the foul occurred. Only thing is I was watching a match the other day where an offensive foul occurred, without bonus, and the defending team immediately got two free shots.

Second, why do some players have numbers after their names? I don't mean the shirt number, I mean immediately after their name, for eg. a player might be number 26 but after his surname he has III.

For the first one,
Bonus only occurs when a team is over the 5 fouls for a quarter and the commit a NON SHOOTING foul. That is when the opposing team would get to sheet free throws on a reach in or a blocking foul, etc.

For the second one, the numbers after the name means they are that number of name in their family.
For example

Robert Williams had a son named Robert Williams Junior or Robert Williams the second or robert williams II
Robert Williams Jr had a son and named him after himself making him Robert Williams the third or Robert Williams III.

Basically it means that in his family history he is the 3rd male in a row named that particular name.
There was the 1st in the line
the II in the line
and the III in the line
and so on.

If he has a boy and names him Robert Williams his boy will be Robert WIlliams the fourth or Robert Williams IV
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 12:13:28 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet

For the first one,
Bonus only occurs when a team is over the 5 fouls for a quarter and the commit a NON SHOOTING foul. That is when the opposing team would get to sheet free throws on a reach in or a blocking foul, etc.

For the second one, the numbers after the name means they are that number of name in their family.
For example

Robert Williams had a son named Robert Williams Junior or Robert Williams the second or robert williams II
Robert Williams Jr had a son and named him after himself making him Robert Williams the third or Robert Williams III.

Basically it means that in his family history he is the 3rd male in a row named that particular name.
the II in the line
and the III in the line
and so on.

If he has a boy and names him Robert Williams his boy will be Robert WIlliams the fourth or Robert Williams IV

Thank you. I've given you a TP.

I thought it was that in terms of the surname but I didn't realise it was as common as it seems to be. Here in Ireland it is quite common for boys to be named after the father but junior and numbers aren't used. You might in Gaelic speaking families find Óg (young) used so for example Donal Óg Cusack is the son of Donal Cusack.

I also appreciate the way you answered as I'm cognisant of the fact these questions might appear silly. Thank you.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
The situation with the no bonus offensive foul drawing two foul shots is interesting. Could it be that foul is what put the team in the bonus? So there is no bonus, then that offensive foul occurred putting the other team in the bonus hence two shots.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 12:37:38 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
On your first question:
Teams are in the bonus (or the penalty) when they’ve committed 5 fouls as a team for the quarter. You’ll sometimes hear the term “zero fouls to give” or “no more fouls to give” from commentators. That just means the next foul is going to lead to free throws.

There’s a bit of a rule change though in the last 2 minutes of every quarter. In the last 2 minutes, if a team isn’t in the penalty, the 2nd team foul immediately puts teams in the penalty. You’ll hear the term “they have a foul to give” meaning that first foul won’t send the other team to the line but also, that the second foul will.

Offensive fouls, as far as I know, don’t count towards team fouls. So even when you’re at the limit, you’re not sending anybody to the line for charging through them. You’re also not counting offensive fouls to the 5 team fouls it takes to get to the penalty.

However, loose ball fouls could seem like offensive fouls I guess? For example, shot goes up. It misses. During the fight for the rebound, the team on offense fouls another player. This leads to free throws. This is because technically, the ball is in neither team’s possession. So it’s not an offensive foul per se but it does look it.

- LilRip

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 03:28:05 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Being a european, what bothers me the most regarding officiating is the lack of calls for traveling. It seems like NBA refs have developed a more loose interpretation of the rules compared to Euroleague/FIBA refs. I understand that it's all about entertainment, but NBA players get away with traveling way too often. This was very annoying for me when I started following the NBA. But then again, I'm not sure whether you follow the Euroleague or FIBA basketball. Chances are you don't, cause they aren't popular in Ireland.

The other thing that bothers me is TV commercials. I literally can't stand them. Fortunately for european fans, we can watch the game the following day and just skip the ads. I mean, most Celtics games start at 2am here in Greece. Btw, today is MLK day. Possibly the only weekday throughout the season when I can watch games live. The NBA has scheduled games pretty much all day long. Unfortunately, the C's aren't playing today. :( I believe the Hawks are the only team that are guaranteed to play on MLK day, cause Dr. King was from Atlanta, Georgia.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:17:20 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 03:34:00 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

For the first one,

For example

the II in the line
and the III in the line
and so on.

I thought it was that in terms of the surname but I didn't realise it was as common as it seems to be. Here in Ireland it is quite common for boys to be named after the father but junior and numbers aren't used. You might in Gaelic speaking families find Óg (young) used so for example Donal Óg Cusack is the son of Donal Cusack.

I also appreciate the way you answered as I'm cognisant of the fact these questions might appear silly. Thank you.

That is pretty interesting. In Brazil, the person becomes Junior (so let's say Daniel Smith has a son so he becomes Daniel Smith Jr). The twist is that many times, Junior actually becomes their name so many people end up calling the son Junior instead of Daniel.

For an even bigger twist, the ending -inho is the diminutive a noun so you can say the casinha means little house (casa + inha casinha -not the strongest example but you catch my drift). Anyway, because of that, people tend to give Junior a tiny nickname (sort of Ted being Teddy) so Junior becomes Juninho. That is why you see so many Brazilian soccer players named Juninho.

Lastly, if Danny Smith Jr has a kid, he becomes Neto (grandson) so you end up getting Danny Smith Neto (which by the way, Rafael Neto with I think Nets may be a III).
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 04:24:24 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
The situation with the no bonus offensive foul drawing two foul shots is interesting. Could it be that foul is what put the team in the bonus? So there is no bonus, then that offensive foul occurred putting the other team in the bonus hence two shots.

I'm not sure. I'll keep an eye out for it happening again and ask when I see it. As I said, I thought I understood it by Googling but then I saw something which contradicted it (can't remember which match though).

On your first question:
Teams are in the bonus (or the penalty) when they’ve committed 5 fouls as a team for the quarter. You’ll sometimes hear the term “zero fouls to give” or “no more fouls to give” from commentators. That just means the next foul is going to lead to free throws.

There’s a bit of a rule change though in the last 2 minutes of every quarter. In the last 2 minutes, if a team isn’t in the penalty, the 2nd team foul immediately puts teams in the penalty. You’ll hear the term “they have a foul to give” meaning that first foul won’t send the other team to the line but also, that the second foul will.

Offensive fouls, as far as I know, don’t count towards team fouls. So even when you’re at the limit, you’re not sending anybody to the line for charging through them. You’re also not counting offensive fouls to the 5 team fouls it takes to get to the penalty.

However, loose ball fouls could seem like offensive fouls I guess? For example, shot goes up. It misses. During the fight for the rebound, the team on offense fouls another player. This leads to free throws. This is because technically, the ball is in neither team’s possession. So it’s not an offensive foul per se but it does look it.

Thanks. Possibly it was that.

Being a european, what bothers me the most regarding officiating is travelling. It seems like NBA refs have developed a more loose interpretation of the rules compared to Euroleague/FIBA refs. I get that it's all about entertainment, but NBA players get away with travelling way too often. This was very annoying for me when I started following the NBA. But then again, I'm not sure whether you follow the Euroleague or FIBA basketball. Chances are you don't, cause they aren't popular in Ireland.

The other thing that bothers me is TV commercials. I literally can't stand them. Fortunately for european fans, we can watch the game the following day and just skip the ads. I mean, most Celtics games start at 2am here in Greece. Btw, today is MLK day. Possibly the only weekday throughout the season when I can watch games live. The NBA has scheduled games pretty much all day long. Unfortunately, the C's aren't playing today. :( I believe the Hawks are the only team that are guaranteed to play on MLK day, cause Dr. King was from Atlanta, Georgia.

Yeah the adverts jar a bit from a European perspective but I kinda ignore them by looking up something on my phone etc. I watched the Knicks earlier and watching the Hawks now. That MLK is still current and relevant today reflects both on his greatness and on our society's deficiencies (not just in America). You would hope in 2021 he would be a historic figure (albeit one well worth teaching and learning about) rather than a deeply pertinent one. Same goes for Malcolm.

Yeah I follow Euroleague. Baskonia is my team. There's an affinity between the Irish and the Basques and I also appreciate what Baskonia's ultras stand for.

For the first one,

For example

the II in the line
and the III in the line
and so on.

That is pretty interesting. In Brazil, the person becomes Junior (so let's say Daniel Smith has a son so he becomes Daniel Smith Jr). The twist is that many times, Junior actually becomes their name so many people end up calling the son Junior instead of Daniel.

For an even bigger twist, the ending -inho is the diminutive a noun so you can say the casinha means little house (casa + inha casinha -not the strongest example but you catch my drift). Anyway, because of that, people tend to give Junior a tiny nickname (sort of Ted being Teddy) so Junior becomes Juninho. That is why you see so many Brazilian soccer players named Juninho.

Lastly, if Danny Smith Jr has a kid, he becomes Neto (grandson) so you end up getting Danny Smith Neto (which by the way, Rafael Neto with I think Nets may be a III).

I speak fluent Italian and fairly fluent French so I'm familiar with the endings which can be added to words and how Ronaldinho is basically little Ronaldo. I didn't know it meant that he was the son of a Ronaldo though because in Italy and France it tends to be to do with size etc. rather than family heritage.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 04:53:50 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Being a european, what bothers me the most regarding officiating is travelling. It seems like NBA refs have developed a more loose interpretation of the rules compared to Euroleague/FIBA refs. I get that it's all about entertainment, but NBA players get away with travelling way too often. This was very annoying for me when I started following the NBA. But then again, I'm not sure whether you follow the Euroleague or FIBA basketball. Chances are you don't, cause they aren't popular in Ireland.

Yeah the adverts jar a bit from a European perspective but I kinda ignore them by looking up something on my phone etc. I watched the Knicks earlier and watching the Hawks now. That MLK is still current and relevant today reflects both on his greatness and on our society's deficiencies (not just in America). You would hope in 2021 he would be a historic figure (albeit one well worth teaching and learning about) rather than a deeply pertinent one. Same goes for Malcolm.

Yeah I follow Euroleague. Baskonia is my team. There's an affinity between the Irish and the Basques and I also appreciate what Baskonia's ultras stand for.
I'm with you on MLK and Malcolm X. I absolutely hate nationalism, but the Basques are an oppressed nation with no country of their own, hence I definitely support their cause. I would argue that there are plenty of similarities between the IRA and ETA (= the Basque equivalent of IRA). Up the RA! Up the ETA! Couldn't care less about Baskonia though.  :P
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:00:25 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 05:16:51 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet

I'm with you on MLK and Malcolm X. I absolutely hate nationalism, but the Basques are an oppressed nation with no country of their own, hence I definitely support their cause. I would argue that there are plenty of similarities between the IRA and ETA (= the Basque equivalent of IRA). Up the RA! Up the ETA! Couldn't care less about Baskonia though.  :P

For me it depends on the kind of nationalism. I'm a nationalist, more accurately described as a Republican (Irish & Welsh). However, to me being a nationalist means striving for the best a country has to offer for ALL its citizens, not the worst. Trump, Johnson etc. aren't nationalists in my opinion as they only offer the worst. If that kind of nationalism is the best a country has to offer then that country has a very serious problem (not saying it is, I'm arguing the concept, not the facts on the ground). Be proud of your country, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But, and it is a very important but, if your concept of your country is a narrow one, you need to have a word with yourself. Nationalism in Celtic countries, in the Basque Country and in other places which have suffered repression tends to be an open-minded nationalism. The Basques are very nationalistic BUT they are also very anti-racist. Pegida have tried to organised in the Basque Country several times and have been run out of town every time they tried. The far right in Ireland tries to get close to Irish nationalism (republicanism) and it never ends well for them. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, of course there are, but those are the general trends.

Baskonia ultras have a very strong and vocal code of being against racism, homophobia, misogyny etc. And of course there is an affinity between the two struggles between the Basques and the Irish (ETA and the IRA have a long history of cooperation).

Which is your team in Euroleague? Olympiakos or Panathinaikos?

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

For me it depends on the kind of nationalism. I'm a nationalist, more accurately described as a Republican (Irish & Welsh). However, to me being a nationalist means striving for the best a country has to offer for ALL its citizens, not the worst. Trump, Johnson etc. aren't nationalists in my opinion as they only offer the worst. If that kind of nationalism is the best a country has to offer then that country has a very serious problem (not saying it is, I'm arguing the concept, not the facts on the ground). Be proud of your country, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But, and it is a very important but, if your concept of your country is a narrow one, you need to have a word with yourself. Nationalism in Celtic countries, in the Basque Country and in other places which have suffered repression tends to be an open-minded nationalism. The Basques are very nationalistic BUT they are also very anti-racist. Pegida have tried to organised in the Basque Country several times and have been run out of town every time they tried. The far right in Ireland tries to get close to Irish nationalism (republicanism) and it never ends well for them. I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, of course there are, but those are the general trends.

Baskonia ultras have a very strong and vocal code of being against racism, homophobia, misogyny etc. And of course there is an affinity between the two struggles between the Basques and the Irish (ETA and the IRA have a long history of cooperation).

Which is your team in Euroleague? Olympiakos or Panathinaikos?
Neither one of them. I come from a small town in the island of Crete. I support our local team, the Rethymno Cretan Kings. Unfortunately, the team got dissolved last summer and we now play in the local divisions of Crete. Don't follow the games anymore.

There's a difference between fighting against oppression and being the oppressor. This is the #1 distinction in my book. The Basques have no country of their own. They are oppressed by Spain. The Republic of Ireland got separated from Northern Ireland because of British oppression. The US under Trump (and prior to Trump for that matter) are oppressed by nobody. If anything, they are the oppressors.

Out of curiosity, did you support Trump prior to what happened in the Capitol or did you always dislike him?

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 05:46:19 PM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I speak fluent Italian and fairly fluent French so I'm familiar with the endings which can be added to words and how Ronaldinho is basically little Ronaldo. I didn't know it meant that he was the son of a Ronaldo though because in Italy and France it tends to be to do with size etc. rather than family heritage.

To clarify, the son ending is more for Juninho (little Junior). Everybody else just means Little X (Little Ronaldo = Ronaldinho, Robinho, etc). I also find it funny how Brazilians are the ones that tend to have their nicknames on jerseys instead of their actual names. I think very few people know Kaka's real name. I get funny looks when I tell Pele and I share last names (Nascimento).
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 05:56:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I thought I knew the rules but turns out you can learn something new every day:

PENALTIES: The offender is charged with a personal foul. The offended team is charged with a team foul if the illegal contact was caused by the defender. There is no team foul if there are personal fouls on one member of each team or the personal foul is against an offensive player. The offended team is awarded:

the ball out-of-bounds on the sideline at the nearest spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended if an offensive foul is assessed.

This confirms that an offensive foul (a charge for example) does not count as a "team foul" and so would not count as 1 of the 5 towards the team bonus.  This is the one that I did not know.  It does count as a personal foul, you can foul out on an offensive foul, but it does not count as a team foul.

As to shooting after an offensive foul, the rule says that the Offended team is awarded the ball out of bounds.  No mention of any situation where you would be awarded free throws for an offensive foul.  I don't think I have ever seen a situation where an offensive foul lead to free throws.  This one is still a mystery to me.

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 06:08:26 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
I thought I knew the rules but turns out you can learn something new every day:

PENALTIES: The offender is charged with a personal foul. The offended team is charged with a team foul if the illegal contact was caused by the defender. There is no team foul if there are personal fouls on one member of each team or the personal foul is against an offensive player. The offended team is awarded:

the ball out-of-bounds on the sideline at the nearest spot where play was interrupted but no nearer to the baseline than the free throw line extended if an offensive foul is assessed.

This confirms that an offensive foul (a charge for example) does not count as a "team foul" and so would not count as 1 of the 5 towards the team bonus.  This is the one that I did not know.  It does count as a personal foul, you can foul out on an offensive foul, but it does not count as a team foul.

As to shooting after an offensive foul, the rule says that the Offended team is awarded the ball out of bounds.  No mention of any situation where you would be awarded free throws for an offensive foul.  I don't think I have ever seen a situation where an offensive foul lead to free throws.  This one is still a mystery to me.
Maybe it was a flagrant foul? Alternatively, it may was an offensive foul + technical foul at the same time. If so, it would have been 1 free throw though, not 2.

@100% Celt
Flagrant fouls are short of like yellow and red cards in soccer football. I'm quoting from wikipedia: ''The NBA defines two levels of flagrant fouls, "Flagrant 1" and "Flagrant 2". Flagrant 2 results in an immediate ejection of the offender. Flagrant 1 does not result in the offender's ejection, unless the same player commits a second Flagrant 1 foul in the same game''.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 06:25:57 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 06:20:37 PM »

Offline 100% Celt

• The Green Kornet
Neither one of them. I come from a small town in the island of Crete. I support our local team, the Rethymno Cretan Kings. Unfortunately, the team got dissolved last summer and we now play in the local divisions of Crete. Don't follow the games anymore.

There's a difference between fighting against oppression and being the oppressor. This is the #1 distinction in my book. The Basques have no country of their own. They are oppressed by Spain. The Republic of Ireland got separated from Northern Ireland because of British oppression. The US under Trump (and prior to Trump for that matter) are oppressed by nobody. If anything, they are the oppressors.

Out of curiosity, did you support Trump prior to what happened in the Capitol or did you always dislike him?

Trump? I've always disliked him. Not that I'm any more enthusiastic about Biden or Harris either though. That said, I'm conscious of being in the very early days of my membership of this forum and I don't want to disrespect the warm welcome I've received by going too deeply into the issue. Suffice to say, Republicanism in Ireland (and in Wales) is very different to Republicanism in the USA. Polar opposites in fact. Tone and Emmet would have found very little in common, if anything, with the GOP.

To clarify, the son ending is more for Juninho (little Junior). Everybody else just means Little X (Little Ronaldo = Ronaldinho, Robinho, etc). I also find it funny how Brazilians are the ones that tend to have their nicknames on jerseys instead of their actual names. I think very few people know Kaka's real name. I get funny looks when I tell Pele and I share last names (Nascimento).

Yes, I wonder if it's a Portuguese language thing because it's quite common for Portuguese footballers to be known more by their nicknames than their real name.