Author Topic: Any Sports card collectors?  (Read 22865 times)

Re: Any Sports card collectors?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 04:44:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Feel like I am being singled out so I will just explain myself. While I now generally agree with your take as an adult; as a kid, inserts were incredible. The improvement from Fleer to Fleer Ultra was also incredible. I loved everything about it - I loved that feeling I got hoping for the coolest insert, the rarest insert. Shaq and Jordan cards were cool and I was happy to have them, but when you are young, it's all about that shiny special card.

Packs went from $.50 per in 90-91 for Fleer and NBA Hoops to $3-$4 (and beyond) almost overnight. Corporations absolutely took advantage of kids/people like me and I ate it up. It's around the time of the all-insert packs that the market got saturated and I finally got my license that I started to lose some interest, but that will never take away my amazing childhood memories.

Ha, not singling you out at all, you just happen to specifically mentioned the things that eventually turned me off.

I'm right there with you.  As a kid, pulling an insert was the greatest feeling in the world (especially if it was a big name like Shaq/Jordan, it was still pretty exciting to get an insert but of a not-so-great player, "Wow I pulled a Beam Team card, eh it's Jeff Malone, but wow I still got a Beam Team card!").

And you could ride that high for a while.  Pull a card after school, brag to the hobby shop you bought the pack from, brag to your parents at dinner, brag to your friends at school the next day, brag to your cousins when you see them at grandma's on the weekend.  Stare at it at night before you go to bed.  Grab the latest Beckett every month to see it continually going up in value.

But that insert craze just quickly escalated to be too much though, for me at least.  It went from feeling really lucky to pulling an insert card to every pack was guaranteed to have an insert card to insert only packs.

Combined with the multiplication of brands.  At first You had 1-4 brands/companies depending on the year with only a few insert sets between them (if any), then they just started multiplying, where you'd had 4-5 different brands from one company, with 4-5 companies making cards, all with numerous insert sets.

Topps had Topps, Topps Finest, Topps Stadium Club, Topps Stadium Club Members Choice, etc.
Upper Deck had Upper Deck, Upper Deck Collector's Choice, Upper Deck SP,  Upper Deck SP Championship
Fleer had Fleer, Fleer Ultra, Fleer Jam Session, Flair

That's what really helped turned me off, then grading kept me from ever wanting to get back in.

At first it was awesome though, pulling an insert was the best high a kid could get.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:52:26 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 08:00:24 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Probably could have used a different term than 'singling me out'. Anyway, yeah, Beam Team inserts were the cream of the crop. For Fleer Ultra, it was all about All-NBA and Award Winners. I would say the next season or two after that was the height of inserts before the market became over-saturated. Unfortunately that also coincided with less than impressive rookie classes and no MJ so I am not sure about the value of those cards at this point.

And, yeah, grading is a total bummer. I just want to love my basketball cards for what they are!

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 09:33:24 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Feel like I am being singled out so I will just explain myself. While I now generally agree with your take as an adult; as a kid, inserts were incredible. The improvement from Fleer to Fleer Ultra was also incredible. I loved everything about it - I loved that feeling I got hoping for the coolest insert, the rarest insert. Shaq and Jordan cards were cool and I was happy to have them, but when you are young, it's all about that shiny special card.

Packs went from $.50 per in 90-91 for Fleer and NBA Hoops to $3-$4 (and beyond) almost overnight. Corporations absolutely took advantage of kids/people like me and I ate it up. It's around the time of the all-insert packs that the market got saturated and I finally got my license that I started to lose some interest, but that will never take away my amazing childhood memories.

Ha, not singling you out at all, you just happen to specifically mentioned the things that eventually turned me off.

I'm right there with you.  As a kid, pulling an insert was the greatest feeling in the world (especially if it was a big name like Shaq/Jordan, it was still pretty exciting to get an insert but of a not-so-great player, "Wow I pulled a Beam Team card, eh it's Jeff Malone, but wow I still got a Beam Team card!").

And you could ride that high for a while.  Pull a card after school, brag to the hobby shop you bought the pack from, brag to your parents at dinner, brag to your friends at school the next day, brag to your cousins when you see them at grandma's on the weekend.  Stare at it at night before you go to bed.  Grab the latest Beckett every month to see it continually going up in value.

But that insert craze just quickly escalated to be too much though, for me at least.  It went from feeling really lucky to pulling an insert card to every pack was guaranteed to have an insert card to insert only packs.

Combined with the multiplication of brands.  At first You had 1-4 brands/companies depending on the year with only a few insert sets between them (if any), then they just started multiplying, where you'd had 4-5 different brands from one company, with 4-5 companies making cards, all with numerous insert sets.

Topps had Topps, Topps Finest, Topps Stadium Club, Topps Stadium Club Members Choice, etc.
Upper Deck had Upper Deck, Upper Deck Collector's Choice, Upper Deck SP,  Upper Deck SP Championship
Fleer had Fleer, Fleer Ultra, Fleer Jam Session, Flair

That's what really helped turned me off, then grading kept me from ever wanting to get back in.

At first it was awesome though, pulling an insert was the best high a kid could get.

LOL

I have a stack of Jonathan Bender rookie cards that I paid to have graded.  I think in the are of $7-$10 apiece for the service.  I had high hopes for Bender.

Should have stuck with the Futurams Bender instead.
Yup

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Not quite in the "Card" category, but I did get a 1991 Washington Redskins (then) collectible commemorative Dr. Pepper Bottle.

It is still unopened.

It is in the classic style clear bottles from that time period and it is adorned with ALL the records tied, set or broken during our superbowl that year.

I've been waiting for us to have a solid winning season to actually consider selling it.

Almost 30 years later I'm STILL waiting, LOL. But optimistic I must say.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Any of y'all card collectors pick up anything cool since this summer?  I've been buying a lot of those 69/70 and 70/71 topps cards, the long boys.  I've got some of the bigger rookies. So far i've nabbed Pistol Pete, Willis Reed, Elvin Hayes, Wes Unseld, Bill Bradley, Connie Hawkins, etc.  I also got two primo condition Satch Sanders RCs.  I'd love to pick up a Havlicek down the road.

I've also been piling up for too much Larry Bird stuff I now own multiples of all his cards from 1980 to 1988, in some cases 8 or 9 of the same card, im gonna send off the nicest ones to get graded, then im gonna keep one of each and sell the rest.  Sadly I only have his cheaper RC (the one with Bill Cartwright instead of Magic) but I'm hoping to consolidate a bunch of these other cards and put that towards a true Bird/Magic RC.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2021, 09:09:27 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
In the summer growing up my friends and I used to bike 10 miles almost every day to go to the local card shop and back, obviously we weren’t always buying but we wanted to at least browse the cards sold individually. I was more of a baseball card collector, I had the most lucrative Ken Griffey Jr & Frank Thomas rookie cards at the time, I think Upper Deck and Fleer Ultra, but for basketball my favorite cards I had were the Tim Duncan Topps Chrome rookie card and an Antawn Jamison game worn jersey card that was an insert that was only 1 in 2,500 packs. For some reason I really liked AJ.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2021, 10:06:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I’m thinking of selling one of my Lebron cards.

The only current eBay auction is this one, which is wildly overpriced:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373576618048?hash=item56fae6d040:g:jj8AAOSwZHNgmuMp

Does anybody have a semi-realistic guess at what this might sell for?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2021, 06:30:50 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I got 1986-1992 basketball cards..have the stickers also like Jordan
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin