Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76853 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #525 on: February 08, 2021, 01:47:02 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Bill and Kraft are going to deal with PR nightmare from now until training camp

Didn't sign Brady because they were too cheap/didn't trust that he still had it at 43.  Couldn't keep some key players on the roster due to money pinching

Not sure if the rumor is true that Bill makes 25m per season?

Its just weird how a coach can make that much money.  More than anyone than on his roster except maybe 1 percent.   If they made like 5-6 million per season,  the team would be much better equipped

Its not like Belichick can make an average player a super player.  And the proof was in the pudding with Cam Newton this past season

What is the Patriots going to do?
I’d pay Bill $50mil it’s not on the cap sheet. He’s the best.

They lost Brady because the team wasn’t able to put a competitive roster around him and the options were to give him a reasonable financial offer and a clear non-SB quality roster with the hope that he can stay good long enough for Bill to rebuild. Or B offer him poverty wages and a roster that still isn’t exceptional.

So Brady left to a roster that could compete on a team that could pay him a salary that wouldn’t p--- off the player union. 

Was there maybe some beef or disagreement that led to this? Sure maybe who knows. But Brady and Bill could have had exactly 0 problems and the best reason for Brady staying would still be sentimentality. The football side just didn’t make sense for either party.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #526 on: February 08, 2021, 01:55:58 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Didn't sign Brady because they were too cheap/didn't trust that he still had it at 43.  Couldn't keep some key players on the roster due to money pinching

Its just weird how a coach can make that much money.  More than anyone than on his roster except maybe 1 percent.   If they made like 5-6 million per season,  the team would be much better equipped

Its not like Belichick can make an average player a super player.  And the proof was in the pudding with Cam Newton this past season

I think they deserve the PR nightmare, Brady took paycuts after paycuts to help the team. Some of the years were wasted. Bill wasted the 2019 season not getting him viable weapons. He just had it at the end and bounced. Happy for Brady (and Gronk). Would be cool to see Edelman make his way to Tampa Bay.

Please. The Patriots made Brady and they had a wonderful 20 year marriage. Leaving over a few million dollars is super-petty, as he obviously didn’t need the money.

Brady winning with the Bucs just furthers the TB12 brand and distances ties with the Pats...which sux for Pats fans. Obviously he will always be a Patriot and we’ll always appreciate everything he did for/with us, but I hate that he ditched us to sign with another team ready-made for a SB...and then actually won it.

Plenty of people will be believing the Danny Amendola bs, which is just a shame. The Pats and Brady deserve credit for the legacy, not just Brady.

Yes but the world wont really look at it that way. 

Brady left over a few million dollars?  It wasnt just that. Also lack of years and lack of help. It was a sinkin ship

1st I have seen someone state it is Brady to blame in all of this.

Belichick has been a greedy fool lol. I think he didn't want to give him the $25M/2 year deal.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #527 on: February 08, 2021, 01:58:16 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

« Reply #528 on: February 08, 2021, 02:40:00 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
https://twitter.com/espnstatsinfo/status/1358634446858182657?s=21

Not an easy one and he makes it look easy

First team to win all their games on the road in the playoffs to play the Superbowl at home and win it, too.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #529 on: February 08, 2021, 04:01:52 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
Someone on here predicted Tampa would miss the playoffs and I’m gonna find it
Let me guess that someone is not only bellichik fan boy but also an Ainge zealous supporter 🤣😬.
Some Patriots fans believe the same crp that’s being thrown their way as some Celtics fans. See the Hayward sign and trade debacle lol

« Reply #530 on: February 08, 2021, 04:03:50 AM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

I think they deserve the PR nightmare, Brady took paycuts after paycuts to help the team. Some of the years were wasted. Bill wasted the 2019 season not getting him viable weapons. He just had it at the end and bounced. Happy for Brady (and Gronk). Would be cool to see Edelman make his way to Tampa Bay.
I can see the parallels with the Celtics ... now I wouldn’t compare Belichick to Stevens but more to Danny. They have the same school of thought lol

« Reply #531 on: February 08, 2021, 08:18:39 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

They lost Brady because the team wasn’t able to put a competitive roster around him and the options were to give him a reasonable financial offer and a clear non-SB quality roster with the hope that he can stay good long enough for Bill to rebuild. Or B offer him poverty wages and a roster that still isn’t exceptional.

So Brady left to a roster that could compete on a team that could pay him a salary that wouldn’t p--- off the player union. 

Was there maybe some beef or disagreement that led to this? Sure maybe who knows. But Brady and Bill could have had exactly 0 problems and the best reason for Brady staying would still be sentimentality. The football side just didn’t make sense for either party.

Exactly. Anyone who looks at that Tampa roster and thinks we could have fielded a similar one is crazy.

I get it, it sucks that the Patriots' run is over, but it's not anyone's fault. Keeping the team contending for the previous 5 years really messed with the cap, as did some of the roster decisions (like trading Garoppolo). Yeah, Bill could have drafted better in the early rounds in that time, but that still wouldn't have put our roster or cap sheet anywhere near Tampa's. It'd be nice to live in a world where the Patriots can just always get around the cap and be the best team in the NFL forever, but we don't.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #532 on: February 08, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Stafford did Bill and the Patriots a solid by saying he didn't want to be here. The guy puts up the hollowest stats of any QB in the league. He will never win anything. Glad he isn't in New England.
I think I almost disagree entirely with this assessment. Dunno of any QB to be routinely let down by his team as much as Stafford, even when they had Megatron

His career TD to Int ratio is terrible. It’s worse than 2-1. Is that due to his team letting him down?
Given some of the O-lines and coaching staffs he’s dealt with, yeah, I don’t blame him entirely.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #533 on: February 08, 2021, 09:09:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Exactly. Anyone who looks at that Tampa roster and thinks we could have fielded a similar one is crazy.

I get it, it sucks that the Patriots' run is over, but it's not anyone's fault. Keeping the team contending for the previous 5 years really messed with the cap, as did some of the roster decisions (like trading Garoppolo). Yeah, Bill could have drafted better in the early rounds in that time, but that still wouldn't have put our roster or cap sheet anywhere near Tampa's. It'd be nice to live in a world where the Patriots can just always get around the cap and be the best team in the NFL forever, but we don't.

I mean this was it

There should be a separate GM for the team imo

« Reply #534 on: February 08, 2021, 10:17:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I think for the Pats honestly, it's Jimmy G or bust in terms of a VETERAN QB target.

Yeah, they could absolutely draft a QB regardless what they decide to do for a bridge QB or veteran QB. But besides Jimmy G, idk who else the Pats can realistically get. They obviously aren't getting Watson or Rodgers even if he was made available.

Some names I can think of via trade besides Garoppolo are Minshew, Carr, Darnold, Wentz, maybe Dak if Dallas is stupid. In FA, Fitzpatrick, Winston, Tyrod Taylor, Newton.

I think Jimmy G being familiar with this system though is a bonus and also, Belichick seemed to love him. Also, I doubt his price (contract extension) would be as egregious as some of these current QB contracts around the league. Besides him, only Carr kind of intrigues me. Wouldn't hate Darnold or Wentz IF the price is right. Now if Dak was made available, I'd POUNCE to get him, but I doubt he will be. Even if he was, other teams would be interested.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #535 on: February 08, 2021, 10:41:33 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I know it is a lot to ask a guy as competitive as Brady to go down with the sinking ship, but 20 years - 6 Super Bowls. It was just a great love story. He traded in his old wife for a new, hot young one and it totally worked out for him. Living in the Central FL region will also make this insufferable. Tom-pa Bay, Brady (and Gronk) jerseys everywhere. Like, he's ours, not yours. They'll probably go and retire his jersey now lol. I get that it makes me petty and I get that NE didn't necessarily do everything they possibly could to keep him, but I just don't like the way it went down.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 10:51:25 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #536 on: February 08, 2021, 10:51:55 AM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59
I don't get why people would be mad at Brady.

Bill didn't want him as the QB of the team anymore. He didn't go out and get him weapons, and he didn't want to pay him. After 6 SB wins, Belichick's actions spoke louder than any nice words that he has for Brady.

Brady got pushed out. I think it's hard to think otherwise.