Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 77763 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #510 on: February 01, 2021, 06:46:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Gotta love Stafford being open to being traded anywhere but New England because we rehired that loser Patricia. Embarrassing
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #511 on: February 01, 2021, 06:50:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Gotta love Stafford being open to being traded anywhere but New England because we rehired that loser Patricia. Embarrassing

From what I read, it's not clear exactly why he didn't want to come to New England.

I would guess it's far more likely that he didn't want to go to a place where his top receiving options would be Jakobi Meyers and Rex Burkhead. 

One article I read pointed out that Stafford has spent his whole career playing in a dome, so the idea of playing outside in New England may have been unappealing to him, also.

What it definitely says is that the Patriots can't rely on being a place where players necessarily want to go, because they no longer represent an easy ticket to the AFC Championship game and beyond.  The Patriots are a team with a reputation for expecting a lot from players in terms of discipline and sacrifice, on top of being located in a small market with cold weather.  It's probably a tough sell at this point.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #512 on: February 01, 2021, 06:54:08 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Looks like Patricia not getting any Christmas cards anytime soon from Stafford
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2021, 06:54:21 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

From what I read, it's not clear exactly why he didn't want to come to New England.

I would guess it's far more likely that he didn't want to go to a place where his top receiving options would be Jakobi Meyers and Rex Burkhead. 

One article I read pointed out that Stafford has spent his whole career playing in a dome, so the idea of playing outside in New England may have been unappealing to him, also.

What it definitely says is that the Patriots can't rely on being a place where players necessarily want to go, because they no longer represent an easy ticket to the AFC Championship game and beyond.  The Patriots are a team with a reputation for expecting a lot from players in terms of discipline and sacrifice, on top of being located in a small market with cold weather.  It's probably a tough sell at this point.

I suspect it had more to do with the Patriots rehiring Matt Patricia who Stafford did not get along with.

« Reply #514 on: February 01, 2021, 06:54:34 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Definitely a tough sell, but there are tougher sells in the NFL that he didn't single out. We're the ones who hired his recent HC, who was a total and utter failure

« Reply #515 on: February 01, 2021, 07:10:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Definitely a tough sell, but there are tougher sells in the NFL that he didn't single out. We're the ones who hired his recent HC, who was a total and utter failure

I mean, the Patriots are one of the most notable teams that is currently lacking anything resembling a starting caliber QB.  So if Stafford knows he wouldn't want to play there, it makes sense that he'd make a point of saying he didn't want to go there.  It also may just be the only newsworthy team that he put on a longer list. 

Anyway, I'm not mad that the Pats weren't in on Stafford, or were disqualified from the discussion by the player.  The Pats are a lot more than a decent QB away from being any good.  They shouldn't be trading picks for a veteran QB.  They should be embracing the fact that they have several years of player development work to do before they're ready to truly reload for a playoff run.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #516 on: February 01, 2021, 07:40:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Stafford did Bill and the Patriots a solid by saying he didn't want to be here. The guy puts up the hollowest stats of any QB in the league. He will never win anything. Glad he isn't in New England.

« Reply #517 on: February 01, 2021, 11:13:06 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Yeah gotta have to back Stafford on this.

Definitely the rehiring of Patricia has to play a big role in his decision. And whatever crap the Pats have on offense. Hopefully B gets to work on getting weapons but nothing crazy is gonna happen for the next few years.  :'(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #518 on: February 02, 2021, 03:45:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Stafford did Bill and the Patriots a solid by saying he didn't want to be here. The guy puts up the hollowest stats of any QB in the league. He will never win anything. Glad he isn't in New England.
I think I almost disagree entirely with this assessment. Dunno of any QB to be routinely let down by his team as much as Stafford, even when they had Megatron

« Reply #519 on: February 07, 2021, 11:06:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Bill and Kraft are going to deal with PR nightmare from now until training camp

Didn't sign Brady because they were too cheap/didn't trust that he still had it at 43.  Couldn't keep some key players on the roster due to money pinching

Not sure if the rumor is true that Bill makes 25m per season?

Its just weird how a coach can make that much money.  More than anyone than on his roster except maybe 1 percent.   If they made like 5-6 million per season,  the team would be much better equipped

Its not like Belichick can make an average player a super player.  And the proof was in the pudding with Cam Newton this past season

What is the Patriots going to do?

« Reply #520 on: February 07, 2021, 11:18:12 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I think I almost disagree entirely with this assessment. Dunno of any QB to be routinely let down by his team as much as Stafford, even when they had Megatron

His career TD to Int ratio is terrible. It痴 worse than 2-1. Is that due to his team letting him down?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #521 on: February 07, 2021, 11:42:48 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Didn't sign Brady because they were too cheap/didn't trust that he still had it at 43.  Couldn't keep some key players on the roster due to money pinching

Its just weird how a coach can make that much money.  More than anyone than on his roster except maybe 1 percent.   If they made like 5-6 million per season,  the team would be much better equipped

Its not like Belichick can make an average player a super player.  And the proof was in the pudding with Cam Newton this past season

I think they deserve the PR nightmare, Brady took paycuts after paycuts to help the team. Some of the years were wasted. Bill wasted the 2019 season not getting him viable weapons. He just had it at the end and bounced. Happy for Brady (and Gronk). Would be cool to see Edelman make his way to Tampa Bay.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #522 on: February 08, 2021, 12:25:11 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I think they deserve the PR nightmare, Brady took paycuts after paycuts to help the team. Some of the years were wasted. Bill wasted the 2019 season not getting him viable weapons. He just had it at the end and bounced. Happy for Brady (and Gronk). Would be cool to see Edelman make his way to Tampa Bay.

Please. The Patriots made Brady and they had a wonderful 20 year marriage. Leaving over a few million dollars is super-petty, as he obviously didn稚 need the money.

Brady winning with the Bucs just furthers the TB12 brand and distances ties with the Pats...which sux for Pats fans. Obviously he will always be a Patriot and we値l always appreciate everything he did for/with us, but I hate that he ditched us to sign with another team ready-made for a SB...and then actually won it.

Plenty of people will be believing the Danny Amendola bs, which is just a shame. The Pats and Brady deserve credit for the legacy, not just Brady.

« Reply #523 on: February 08, 2021, 12:46:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Please. The Patriots made Brady and they had a wonderful 20 year marriage. Leaving over a few million dollars is super-petty, as he obviously didn稚 need the money.

Brady winning with the Bucs just furthers the TB12 brand and distances ties with the Pats...which sux for Pats fans. Obviously he will always be a Patriot and we値l always appreciate everything he did for/with us, but I hate that he ditched us to sign with another team ready-made for a SB...and then actually won it.

Plenty of people will be believing the Danny Amendola bs, which is just a shame. The Pats and Brady deserve credit for the legacy, not just Brady.

Yes but the world wont really look at it that way. 

Brady left over a few million dollars?  It wasnt just that. Also lack of years and lack of help. It was a sinkin ship

1st I have seen someone state it is Brady to blame in all of this.

« Reply #524 on: February 08, 2021, 01:43:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Someone on here predicted Tampa would miss the playoffs and I知 gonna find it
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.