Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 78388 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #495 on: January 30, 2021, 03:46:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think the Pats should keep the pick and take Mac Jones. Hot take here, but I like him better than any QB in this draft not named Trevor Lawrence.

Then, Bill could use their cap space to add a good TE and a good WR.

« Reply #496 on: January 30, 2021, 08:36:09 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think the Pats should keep the pick and take Mac Jones. Hot take here, but I like him better than any QB in this draft not named Trevor Lawrence.

Don’t think Bill is going to waste the last few years of his career rebuilding. Thinks he gets a ready now QB (Jimmy G, Stafford etc) and goes for the quick retool and goes for it.

« Reply #497 on: January 30, 2021, 08:46:51 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Watson is the best QB to ever truly be available.  By a mile.  It isn't close.  He is 25 and a top 5 QB in the league (you could realistically argue he is 2nd only to Mahomes).  The Chiefs might be the only team in the league that wouldn't swap QB's for Watson (perhaps GB or Sea, after that none). 

His price is going to be astronomical, but he is worth whatever it takes to acquire him for a team like the Patriots that doesn't have anyone at the position.  You sell the farm for Watson.  He is worth everything.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #498 on: January 30, 2021, 09:44:09 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
I just want to see if Bill is wiling to pay a QB and if that willingness will be this season.

« Reply #499 on: January 30, 2021, 09:59:12 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I just don't see it with Mac Jones. He has an average arm and he is no threat to use his legs to make plays. Plus he plays on the most stacked football team in college. Looks like a backup to me tbh.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #500 on: January 30, 2021, 10:06:08 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Cross Stafford the list. He just got traded to the Rams.

« Reply #501 on: January 30, 2021, 11:04:07 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
Thank god. I really didn’t want to see him in NE. He’s not a winner. Massive overpay by the Rams.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #502 on: January 30, 2021, 11:11:59 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Pats have terrible skill players and below average front 7 defenders. No rush to get a QB as they aren't ready to compete. Maybe draft a project Qb in 5-7 round to see if you get luck again.

« Reply #503 on: January 31, 2021, 03:13:44 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Watson is the best QB to ever truly be available.  By a mile.  It isn't close.  He is 25 and a top 5 QB in the league (you could realistically argue he is 2nd only to Mahomes).  The Chiefs might be the only team in the league that wouldn't swap QB's for Watson (perhaps GB or Sea, after that none). 

His price is going to be astronomical, but he is worth whatever it takes to acquire him for a team like the Patriots that doesn't have anyone at the position.  You sell the farm for Watson.  He is worth everything.

He is 28-25 as a starter, and is 1-1 in the playoffs. I'd love to hear your justification for insinuating he's the #2 QB in the league. The burden of proof will be high.

« Reply #504 on: January 31, 2021, 03:18:16 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
Thank god. I really didn’t want to see him in NE. He’s not a winner. Massive overpay by the Rams.

TP

The Rams are like the 2002 Bills, when they signed Bledsoe. The whole league had Drew figured out, and his dead duck passes got them nowhere.

Except the Bills weren't stupid enough to give up a King's ransom for Bledsoe...

My God, what a failure. Goff is terrible,  but Stafford is no better. Thank God we didn't try to match. Just dumbfounded
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 03:24:12 AM by kraidstar »

« Reply #505 on: January 31, 2021, 03:22:57 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
This Stafford deal could have Billy King levels of notoriety

« Reply #506 on: January 31, 2021, 09:53:31 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

He is 28-25 as a starter, and is 1-1 in the playoffs. I'd love to hear your justification for insinuating he's the #2 QB in the league. The burden of proof will be high.
I said arguably and it is in fact arguable.  He is actually 1-2 in the playoffs, but the Texans are a bad team, with terrible management, terrible coaching, and perhaps the worst offensive line in the sport over those 4 years, and prior to this year he was 24-13.  And while the Texans weren't good this year, he just led the league in passing yards with over a 70% completion percentage and a 33 to 7 TD to INT ratio on a bad team. 

The competition for the #2 spot are Rodgers and Wilson.  Over the last 4 years Rodgers is just 2-2 in the playoffs and Wilson is 4-4, of course the Packers and Seahawks didn't have bill O'Brien destroying the team and had respectable enough OL's.   I'd still probably rate Rodgers and Wilson as better than Watson, but there isn't much separation between the 3 of them.   

« Reply #507 on: January 31, 2021, 11:11:25 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!

I said arguably and it is in fact arguable.  He is actually 1-2 in the playoffs, but the Texans are a bad team, with terrible management, terrible coaching, and perhaps the worst offensive line in the sport over those 4 years, and prior to this year he was 24-13.  And while the Texans weren't good this year, he just led the league in passing yards with over a 70% completion percentage and a 33 to 7 TD to INT ratio on a bad team. 

The competition for the #2 spot are Rodgers and Wilson.  Over the last 4 years Rodgers is just 2-2 in the playoffs and Wilson is 4-4, of course the Packers and Seahawks didn't have bill O'Brien destroying the team and had respectable enough OL's.   I'd still probably rate Rodgers and Wilson as better than Watson, but there isn't much separation between the 3 of them.

I think Max Kellerman put it spot on actually.

So I also wouldn't say Deshaun Watson is the 2nd best QB in the whole league, BUT it is fair to say he's probably the 2nd most important commodity and trade asset in the entire NFL only behind Patrick Mahomes.

That's because when you factor in young age, ceiling, etc. Watson's got it all. Like, Rodgers > Watson right now and Rodgers will likely win MVP, but Rodgers is 37 years old so that's a bit less valuable in a trade (and Watson's just 25 y/o). Even guys like Russell Wilson are good but 32 years old while Watson's just 25, and Watson is probably better than a handful of those guys.

So yeah, if Stafford got THAT, then Watson will definitely cost 3 first rounders, 1-2 future 2nds or 3rd, and probably also 1-2 young talent players that a team has. Makes me think the Jets and Dolphins have the only chance at acquiring him based on what they have (plethora of picks and also players).

Also, imagine if he goes to the Niners. Then the NFC West has Stafford, Murray, Watson and Wilson  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #508 on: January 31, 2021, 11:22:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
It's funny how the NFL trade market is resembling the NBA when it comes to top tier QBs and other skill positions. I always was confounded by how little guys like Randy Moss, or even Jimmy G, garnered in a trade.

Wonder if Belichick will respond to this market correction, or try to catch lightning in a bottle a second time through the draft.  Saban is probably giving him the full dope on his QB, whom draft gurus seem to think would be available at 15.  Could be the ticket.  But that would be a slow rebuild.  QBs take time to excel, unless you have exceptional physical gifts like Mahomes. Belichick is no spring chicken, so I could see him making a Godfather offer for Watson, with the hope that his ability to draft well in later rounds won't cause too much franchise damage. Besides, Bill has really stunk selecting high picks for the most part!

« Reply #509 on: January 31, 2021, 12:16:12 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think Max Kellerman put it spot on actually.

So I also wouldn't say Deshaun Watson is the 2nd best QB in the whole league, BUT it is fair to say he's probably the 2nd most important commodity and trade asset in the entire NFL only behind Patrick Mahomes.

That's because when you factor in young age, ceiling, etc. Watson's got it all. Like, Rodgers > Watson right now and Rodgers will likely win MVP, but Rodgers is 37 years old so that's a bit less valuable in a trade (and Watson's just 25 y/o). Even guys like Russell Wilson are good but 32 years old while Watson's just 25, and Watson is probably better than a handful of those guys.

So yeah, if Stafford got THAT, then Watson will definitely cost 3 first rounders, 1-2 future 2nds or 3rd, and probably also 1-2 young talent players that a team has. Makes me think the Jets and Dolphins have the only chance at acquiring him based on what they have (plethora of picks and also players).

Also, imagine if he goes to the Niners. Then the NFC West has Stafford, Murray, Watson and Wilson  :o
Oh there is no question he is the #2 commodity, but I do think it is arguable he is the #2 QB, which is all I said.  Like if you were going for next year and next year only, I think a number of teams would take Watson over Rodgers or Wilson given his size, speed, arm talent, running ability, etc.  And I do think if he ends up in the right spot he will have a real shot at the MVP next year.  That is of course not New York, but there are several realistic options that might be including Miami, Chicago, New England, and Pittsburgh.  If he ends up on the Jets though, it won't really be any different than Houston and would be a waste. 

I also think there could be sleeper teams out there that would absolutely be interested if they thought the negotiations would be kept quite.  Cleveland would be a team like that, where if they knew it wouldn't leak, I think they'd absolutely be interested in something like Mayfield, a couple of 1st's, a couple of 2nd's, and a 3rd or two.  But if it leaked and didn't get it done it could also destroy the team chemistry, which is why I don't think they'd realistically partake unless they were absolutely certain they could get it done.