Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 78419 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #465 on: January 03, 2021, 05:04:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Of course the Pats win when I picked them to lose in my pool.

Adios to a crappy Pats season, and I'm not sure next season will be much better. Pats will have lots of cap room, but they have a ton of holes to fill. Tight end is a black hole. Receiving corps is terrible. QB? Nothing great in the FA market, and the Pats don't have a high enough pick to get a great prospect.

Oh well. Maybe Brady will get another ring.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2021, 11:53:43 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Growing buzz that Deshaun Watson could demand a trade this offseason.

Come on Belichick, do whatever it takes!  :angel:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2021, 06:29:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Trade the house for DeShaun Watson and Julio Jones
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2021, 06:35:54 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Yup you got to trade for Deshaun Watson if you wanna stay relevant for many more years. Then just reconstruct the rest of the roster through draft or sign veteran players on the cheap.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2021, 07:07:01 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Trade the house for DeShaun Watson and Julio Jones

Alright, Pats fans on this blog, everyone get the papers ready to sell your houses. All combined we can reach the asking price

:laugh:

« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2021, 07:13:56 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yeah, I'd be down with getting Watson. And I think Jones still has a couple good/great years left, so he would be a great get too.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2021, 08:04:43 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The 2021 1st rounder would have to go, at a minimum for Watson. Most likely would need to give up another pick in the top 100 picks as well. Is that better than keeping the 15th pick and taking one of the top 6 QBs in this draft that a lot of draftniks are saying is the best group of QBs to come out in years? Or perhaps Bill will trade up(ya, ya, I know, Bill only trades down) to get his specific QB that he likes?

Should be a fun off-season.

« Reply #472 on: January 07, 2021, 08:25:13 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I won't post it all here, but yeah if you read the tweets by Rapoport, Schefter, etc. it seems there's a lot of tension brewing between Watson and the Houston Front Office. Doesn't seem like a small thing either and could escalate to Watson demanding out of Houston.

The Pats may be at a slight disadvantage over teams like Miami or Denver who have Top-10 picks this season which Houston could covet more than #15 New England has. I would think a potential deal could be, Gilmore, Shaq Mason OR Thuney + #15 + 2021 3rd rounder + another future 1st rounder + another future 2nd or 3rd. If Thuney, it'd have to be in some sort of sign-and-trade format since he's a FA.

Basically, it'll likely cost the Pats a player like Gilmore/Thuney/Mason + 2 first rounders + 2-3 more future picks. Yeah it's a lot, but Watson's a beast and still just 25 years old. The Pats do have the cap space to fit him in AND would still have some leftover to build around him. 

« Reply #473 on: January 07, 2021, 08:26:28 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
A trade for Watson would be unprecedented, no? Have we ever seen a quarterback as young and as great as Watson get traded? Closest I can think of is Carson Palmer. I would imagine that the Texans would ask for numerous first round picks, on top of young talent.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #474 on: January 07, 2021, 08:27:37 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1435
I won't post it all here, but yeah if you read the tweets by Rapoport, Schefter, etc. it seems there's a lot of tension brewing between Watson and the Houston Front Office. Doesn't seem like a small thing either and could escalate to Watson demanding out of Houston.

The Pats may be at a slight disadvantage over teams like Miami or Denver who have Top-10 picks this season which Houston could covet more than #15 New England has. I would think a potential deal could be, Gilmore, Shaq Mason OR Thuney + #15 + 2021 3rd rounder + another future 1st rounder + another future 2nd or 3rd. If Thuney, it'd have to be in some sort of sign-and-trade format since he's a FA.

Basically, it'll likely cost the Pats a player like Gilmore/Thuney/Mason + 2 first rounders + 2-3 more future picks. Yeah it's a lot, but Watson's a beast and still just 25 years old. The Pats do have the cap space to fit him in AND would still have some leftover to build around him.

I like Watson, but you think the Pats are willing to pay him $39M/year? I’m not sure they would.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #475 on: January 07, 2021, 08:32:34 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I like Watson, but you think the Pats are willing to pay him $39M/year? I’m not sure they would.

That's a fair point, but actually his 4/156M extension actually doesn't kick in until like 2022. His cap hit in 2021 (next season) would be around 16M. And also, once it gets to that point I imagine Belichick could just have him restructure it a bit so the cap hit isn't as egregious. Like converting some money to a signing bonus and things of that nature. That's basically what they did with Brady for a while, and what teams like the Saints have done/are doing with Brees.

« Reply #476 on: January 07, 2021, 08:37:55 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I'd say Watson is worth that much. Other than Mahomes, he's the best, most complete young QB in the league IMO.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #477 on: January 07, 2021, 08:48:52 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

That's a fair point, but actually his 4/156M extension actually doesn't kick in until like 2022. His cap hit in 2021 (next season) would be around 16M. And also, once it gets to that point I imagine Belichick could just have him restructure it a bit so the cap hit isn't as egregious. Like converting some money to a signing bonus and things of that nature. That's basically what they did with Brady for a while, and what teams like the Saints have done/are doing with Brees.

It just doesn’t seem like a Bill thing to do. Give up a ton of assets and have all that money tied up with one guy. Team has so many needs, no WR’s/TE’s to speak of. I also feel like Bill has the mindset that he can win with a great defense and an average QB/Offense.
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #478 on: January 07, 2021, 08:56:54 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

It just doesn’t seem like a Bill thing to do. Give up a ton of assets and have all that money tied up with one guy. Team has so many needs, no WR’s/TE’s to speak of. I also feel like Bill has the mindset that he can win with a great defense and an average QB/Offense.

That's true. My personal hope, in addition to them drafting a QB to develop, is to either trade for Stafford as the veteran bridge guy, or trade for Jimmy G. Neither has a huge contract at the moment (you can probably sign Jimmy Garoppolo to a modest deal around 16-20M a year if SF lets him go) and you can still fill needs around the roster. Jimmy G. is also probably familiar with the Pats system too so he could thrive here again.

« Reply #479 on: January 07, 2021, 09:13:18 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

That's true. My personal hope, in addition to them drafting a QB to develop, is to either trade for Stafford as the veteran bridge guy, or trade for Jimmy G. Neither has a huge contract at the moment (you can probably sign Jimmy Garoppolo to a modest deal around 16-20M a year if SF lets him go) and you can still fill needs around the roster. Jimmy G. is also probably familiar with the Pats system too so he could thrive here again.

Not a huge fan of Stafford, but I wouldn’t mind bringing in Jimmy G. Im hoping the Pats take Mac Jones, though.