Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 77798 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #450 on: December 29, 2020, 02:55:09 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Buffalo Bills demoralized the Patriots in Foxboro, complete season-sweep and the first time an AFC East team swept New England in a long time.

Belichick looks dejected.

Partly his own fault. He's been so bad about addressing the WR and TE positions that the QB, whoever it would've been, had basically no one to throw to.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #451 on: December 29, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Yeah the thing that worries me is that it's not enough to find the next Jimmy Garropolo.  That can be enough if you already have a really talented team for that guy to inherit after a couple years of seasoning.  But that ship has sailed.

The Pats roster is depleted.  It will be hard to replenish that entirely through free agency, regardless of how much cap space they have. 

They will need a young QB who is talented enough to make up for deficits in talent around him until a few years have passed for them to restock the cupboard via several drafts.

Seems like for the most part those true franchise QBs are found in the upper part of the 1st round, with some very obvious and famous exceptions.

The Pats need a Mahomes / Murray / Watson type guy.  If they draft a Jared Goff or Derek Carr type, they're going to top out at mediocre.  It doesn't seem like they're going to be in a position to get that type of guy in this draft, which means waiting at least another year for an opportunity.
I really think Trey Lance can be that type of guy, and he might be available when we pick.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #452 on: December 29, 2020, 03:08:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah the thing that worries me is that it's not enough to find the next Jimmy Garropolo.  That can be enough if you already have a really talented team for that guy to inherit after a couple years of seasoning.  But that ship has sailed.

The Pats roster is depleted.  It will be hard to replenish that entirely through free agency, regardless of how much cap space they have. 

They will need a young QB who is talented enough to make up for deficits in talent around him until a few years have passed for them to restock the cupboard via several drafts.

Seems like for the most part those true franchise QBs are found in the upper part of the 1st round, with some very obvious and famous exceptions.

The Pats need a Mahomes / Murray / Watson type guy.  If they draft a Jared Goff or Derek Carr type, they're going to top out at mediocre.  It doesn't seem like they're going to be in a position to get that type of guy in this draft, which means waiting at least another year for an opportunity.
I really think Trey Lance can be that type of guy, and he might be available when we pick.

I know absolutely nothing about this draft so I'll defer to you.  I've heard the name Trevor Lawrence.  I gather people think he's really good.  That's all I know.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #453 on: December 29, 2020, 03:17:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I know absolutely nothing about this draft so I'll defer to you.  I've heard the name Trevor Lawrence.  I gather people think he's really good.  That's all I know.
There are like 6 QBs that have the possibility of becoming franchise cornerstones.

Trevor Lawrence from Clemson, Justin Fields from Ohio State, Zach Wilson from BYU, Trey Lance from North Dakota St., Kyle Trask from Florida and Mac Jones from Alabama.

It looks like Fields, Lawrence and another QB should be gone in the top 10 and it's possible 4 could go top 10. I think all six could go first round. The Pats should have a clear path to Trask or Jones but who knows if Bill will like those options over a player Bill has on his board as a better player overall.

« Reply #454 on: December 29, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Not a fan of dual threat quarterbacks. Dual threat works great in college but in the nfl where every lineman is a 6’6 320 lb wall of steel, these qbs  don’t last long as they get injured quick

« Reply #455 on: December 29, 2020, 03:33:30 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
We need to tank. Belichick thinks the nfl is like the old days where someone like a tom Brady can slide to the 6th round or when Joe Montana was picked at the end of the 3rd round. Belichick is living in the past.

It’s tank or bust if you want a real qb. Otherwise you get stuck with the Newton’s, fitzpatricks, RG3s of the world.

You need a #1 to #3 draft pick to pick an elite qb

Btw this is interesting: Newton’s 34 passing yards tonight are the fewest by a Patriots starting quarterback since 1993, when Scott Secules had 13 yards in Week 10 (also at home vs. the Bills). History tends to repeat itself

No, I don't agree with the 1-3 slot for an elite QB;  Allen-7, Jackson-32, Mahommes-10, Watson-12, etc.

The issue is, you need to pick the right players when it comes time.  N'Keal Harry was rated the 6th-7th best WR when drafted in 2019, but he was #2 WR off the board.  Everyone thought the Pats would take Love last year.  I wasn't a big fan, but it seemed like a fit and a need, but the Pats trade out of the 1st. 

Don't get me wrong, last years class for the Pats, I believe is strong; Duggar, Uche, Jennings, Onwenu, and Herron all will be very good.  Asiasi and Keene will find their role, which I think for Keene will be as a FB.  The 2019 class has Chase, Harris, Cowart, and Stid, but we haven't seen Stid at all.  If they don't believe in Stid, then they probably should have drafted a QB last year, but they didn't so this year they need to figure it out.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Rookie taken this year and paired with a vet like Dalton (who starts) or Mariota.  I saw this 4 round Mock yesterday and really like it, except for the 2nd round pick.  I think the first three rounds need to address the Offense; QB, WR, WR. 

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/lists/2021-patriots-mock-draft-addressing-major-needs-including-qb-in-the-top-4-rounds/
If they don't go QB in the first, I say, if he is available, get Kyle Pitts. Dude is Gronk reborn. He will make any QB the Pats play next year infinitely better.

BTW, I'm down on Harry, but not ready to give up.  His rookie year, he was hurt, came back late, lost Brady's trust.  His second year, not training camp.  I'd like to see him get a full training camp with a QB who can throw and see what happens.  Maybe he's not an outside stretch the field guy!  So what, bet he can play inside and heck, at his size, maybe even become a move TE.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #456 on: December 29, 2020, 05:38:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Trevor Lawrence is a generational kind of QB prospect. Peyton Manning-esque.

But there are a few other QBs out there. Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, Kyle Trask & Jamie Newman are all projected to go in the first 3 rounds. Lance is incredibly dynamic, so I’d be all aboard.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #457 on: December 29, 2020, 06:39:46 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Yesterday was probably the first time in my life where I just didn't care about the Patriots game. And it wasn't even because of them being eliminated from the playoffs already. But more so, this current team doesn't really have any "direction".

Like, what exactly are we learning from Cam Newton continuing to start?? And also, I know Stidham came in and also looked "meh", but again, shouldn't he get a normal week with first team reps in practice and then getting a full start? Yet they always bring him in when the game is over anyways.

And then really, the lack of talent is truly glaring especially on offense. Not to excuse the defense but I kind of think they've also given up for good knowing the offense is hopeless. Reminds me a bit of that Jaguars team in 2018 which had an elite defense but Bortles was the QB, and despite being fantastic the defense visibly gave up late that season knowing Bortles and the offense wasn't going to do anything anyways.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #458 on: December 29, 2020, 10:11:29 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

But there are a few other QBs out there. Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, Mac Jones, Kyle Trask & Jamie Newman are all projected to go in the first 3 rounds. Lance is incredibly dynamic, so I’d be all aboard.
Lance is the only one there I want no part of.

Sure he put up ridiculous numbers but that offense requires him to make zero reads. Also don’t love his arm.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #459 on: December 29, 2020, 11:31:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Lance is the only one there I want no part of.

Sure he put up ridiculous numbers but that offense requires him to make zero reads. Also don’t love his arm.
You could certainly be right - he’s just very intriguing to me. However, him not being able to play really at all this season hurts his stock (same with Newman).

I’d be ecstatic to nab Fields if he falls

« Reply #460 on: December 29, 2020, 11:37:36 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
As far as Trey Lance is concerned, I think he's the perfect fit for the NFL today. Guys who can use their legs to extend plays and have a cannon arm to throw deep are dominating the league. Sure, Lance may have some inconsistent accuracy, but you know who else had the same issues coming out of college? Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Deshaun Watson. I'm starting to think that good coaching can polish those types of issues, even if it takes a couple of years to learn.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #461 on: December 30, 2020, 01:15:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
As far as Trey Lance is concerned, I think he's the perfect fit for the NFL today. Guys who can use their legs to extend plays and have a cannon arm to throw deep are dominating the league. Sure, Lance may have some inconsistent accuracy, but you know who else had the same issues coming out of college? Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Deshaun Watson. I'm starting to think that good coaching can polish those types of issues, even if it takes a couple of years to learn.
Plus our offence seems to be gearing towards a mobile QB type. Lance throws effortless 45+ yard dots, is mobile as all hell and has good size. I would trust Bill if he picked him

« Reply #462 on: December 30, 2020, 02:55:20 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
No lance

We need Zach Wilson from byu, or Mac Jones from Alabama

« Reply #463 on: December 30, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
No lance

We need Zach Wilson from byu, or Mac Jones from Alabama

Wilson will be gone before we draft.  Mac Jones might still be there in the second.  I'm not so sure if I don't try and sign Haskins.  In 2018, he threw for 5000+ yards, 50 TD's, and 9 Int's and finished third in the Heisman.

Why not for a reclamation project.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #464 on: January 03, 2021, 04:33:59 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Pretty nice end to a tough season with a win + there being snow

Thank you Cam! I wish you the best going forward. And if you're open to taking a cheap backup role here I wouldn't mind.

Definitely was difficult with COVID, lack of traditional preseason and Cam signing late, but I appreciate his positive attitude, friendly demeanor and leadership. There's a reason everybody including Belichick, media, etc. loves him. Yeah, you can say he was a problem, but he certainly was not the problem, and tried to make it work with whatever he had.

Also, with the talent (or lack thereof) we had this season, I'm still a bit surprised we went 7-9. Feels like with any other coach this was a 3-13 team or something like the Jets.

Anyways, 60M in cap space, probably 9-10 draft picks (first round pick being #14) and a lot of potential QBs available both in FA and the Draft. Excited to see what Belichick does. And excited for these playoffs which have a ton of great teams and great matchups.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller