Author Topic: Red Sox Trade Betts + Price To The Dodgers  (Read 45724 times)

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Friend of mine just sent me a text of the trade. His phone autocorrected on him.

Apparently for Betts and Price, the Sox got Vertigo and Gatorade

LOL. I keep thinking "Geritol"!
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

• Satch Sanders
So here's my big takeaway from all of this:

It’s foolish to try to draft the next great player, because if you do, you’ll eventually have to pay him more than you want to spend and you’ll just end up trading him.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

It’s foolish to try to draft the next great player, because if you do, you’ll eventually have to pay him more than you want to spend and you’ll just end up trading him.

Or, or, or, you could have an owner who isn't a cheapskate.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
In good Boston sports news, the Celtics are hot and one of the best teams in basketball and the Bruins just dominated a great Vancouver team, 4-0 and are the best team in hockey. Yay winter sports!!!

Reminds me of a certain game in 2011 played on the road in June  ;)

Winning that championship at their rink was astounding and watching their fans riot was even crazier.

That series in general was crazy.

Fall behind 2-0 in the series after two brutal 1-goal losses (Game 2 ending like 20 seconds into OT). Then crushing them in all our home games before ultimately, the first road win came in Game 7.  8)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
as a Brewer fan, this would be tantamount to trading Christian Yelich for the guy hawking peanuts in the stands and a couple of large popcorns. 

just unreal they'd unload Betts for that little of a return.  is that how poorly Price is regarded at this point?

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

There is that little bit about him helping you win a World Series...I'm not sure "foolish" applies here.

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
So long Mookie and David. Thanks for the memories!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
as a Brewer fan, this would be tantamount to trading Christian Yelich for the guy hawking peanuts in the stands and a couple of large popcorns. 

just unreal they'd unload Betts for that little of a return.  is that how poorly Price is regarded at this point?

They must really have zero confidence that Mookie was going to give them a fair opportunity after next year. Either that or they didn't want to pay $400m for him now. OR...they want to get something for him just in case but are going all in for him in free agency. Unlikely though.

In a way I feel for Bloom - had to clean up Dombrowski's mess from last year.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 02:08:51 AM by ozgod »
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

• Satch Sanders

There is that little bit about him helping you win a World Series...I'm not sure "foolish" applies here.

A lot of guys contributed to that World Series. And Mookie hit a whopping .217 in that series.

— C.S. Lewis

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Absolutely crazy that they give up a former MVP and still have to shell out ~$50M just to get rid of Price.

I admittedly don’t know much about these prospects, but this sounds like a steal for the Dodgers and a very tough pill to swallow for Sox fans.

They have to go full rebuild now, which will be even tougher if they also have to forfeit top draft picks.
CELTICS 2024

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Sox have won 4 championships in 16 years, folks. They know more about baseball than you do.

Betts' game will not age well. Those legs will slow down quicker than most people think. And he was on the last year of his deal. Did anyone here really want to pay him $40M per year?

And Price's contract was an albatross and his personality a cancer.

I'm fine with moving on from them.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

A lot of guys contributed to that World Series. And Mookie hit a whopping .217 in that series.

Laughable comment. He was the **** MVP of the league.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Screw Red Sox management. 

That's it.  Plain & simple.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't understand how if they were willing to pay half of Price's salary (and presumably half of Sale's salary), why they didn't just dump one of the pitchers to cut salary.  Heck just dump both of them, pick up some B-Level prospects and just keep Betts.  I understand the need on some level to cut out the fat, but Betts isn't fat, he is kobe beef.  You keep him and dump other players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Screw Red Sox management. 

That's it.  Plain & simple.

Bloom is doing what he was hired to do. Red Sox ownership is an incompetent disgrace.