Author Topic: Jeter One Vote Short of Unanimous First Ballot Entry to HOF  (Read 10873 times)

Re: Jeter One Vote Short of Unanimous First Ballot Entry to HOF
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
5m, are your thoughts the same for basketball? Because if I had to select a basketball equivalent to Jeter, it would be John Havlicek.

Did Hondo dominate or transform some aspect of the game for an extended time?  Nope. Never even a top 3 in MVP voting like Jeter was. But he was healthy a long time and because of that put up some amazing all-time numbers and was a key or THE key in several championships.

And all that matters. Hondo was never just an above average player, and neither is Jeter. He was THE key to several titles. He put up all-time numbers in a couple areas. His extremely high quality to great, all around game spanned a long, long time.

Players like Koufax and Pedro got in because they were all-time great and dominant over a short time, 7 years or so. But most MLB players get in for being high quality for a very long time and putting up all-time numbers.

Hondo definitely deserves his HOF induction and so will Jeter.

Hmmm.... at the time Havlicek retired (1978) only 13 players had ever posted seasons with averages of 20+ points, 7+ rebounds and 6+ assists.   Havlicek did so 6 times.  Only Oscar Robertson had done it more often.  That seems pretty dominant.

Havlicek was the prototype for the modern point-forward, even before Paul Pressey.  That seems pretty transformative.

*Shrug*  If I start naming folks besides Jeter who I also don't think should be in the Hall (of either sport) I'm sure I'll rub more people's feathers the wrong way.

Ultimately, it's an opinion-based thing.  It's a vote by a committee of people with opinions.  There are no absolute standards.  I just have my own standards and am not expecting everyone to agree with them.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.